Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Operation Chokehold" Spreading

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    I would try to get in on some of the action.... but alas, I only have EDGE service in my building at work.....

This is truly disheartening now, considering a week ago I actually had some type of signal. I blame the rain.

i feel your pain in the lame washington rain

and i'm not sure if i'm in or not seems really stupid lets bring down the network we rely on to be connected with everyone else... seems like we are skrewing ourselves over to me

Quote Originally Posted by ÄhR!$ View Post
    WTF are you talking about? He will have to wait. Wait til 3 his time. Yes, it all happens at the same time, but he does have to wait until further on in his day to participate.

Either way, I really hope you don't participate, unless you actually enjoy being part of a pointless cause.
    hahahahaha thanks for saying what i was about to say until i ready your post

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post
    Allow me to play devil's advocate.
    Could this not be considered an attack, similar to a denial of service?
    It is also very easy for ATT to find out who participated in this with data logging of the phones...
    Call me paranoid, but I really don't want a piece of this..
    its not illegal to access high bandwidth applications for an extended period of time.or to access them at any reported time. find a court that could find me guilty of what im perfectly allowed to do any god given time of the day. does this day happen to be friday at noon? proove then to that court that i also maliciously intended to use that said high bandwidth streaming at the same day and time as others. find that court which could proove beyond a reasonable doubt that i had nothing but malice and vengance to bestow and ill bow beneath you.

then again, maybe your just paranoid.
    killall Terminal[]

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    its not illegal to access high bandwidth applications for an extended period of time.or to access them at any reported time. find a court that could find me guilty of what im perfectly allowed to do any god given time of the day. does this day happen to be friday at noon? proove then to that court that i also maliciously intended to use that said high bandwidth streaming at the same day and time as others. find that court which could proove beyond a reasonable doubt that i had nothing but malice and vengance to bestow and ill bow beneath you.

then again, maybe your just paranoid.
    well now if you participated i would say this post kinda shows you have intention on it haha

this could actually work, if its something that people plan to do say once or twice a week. It could basically force ATT to upgrade, because there would be so many blackouts in service happening at a set time, that it would be feasalbe to think that companies that use AT&T might actually move there contracts... just a thought.. i plan on doing it, even though i have great service most of the time here in Arkansas

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love this thread. We are all so entrenched in our opinions and very vocal. This thread is down right American.

That being said, the pro-attack side of the community sounds like terroists. You're causing harm to innocent people so you can get what you want, terrorism defined. Before we spam a network, we should wait untill ATT makes their decision on whether to charge us or not. I'm a 24 year old male, of course I want to stick it to the man! But this isn't a proper outlet for our frustration. I can't change your mind, and I don't even want to try.

I'm lucky enough to live in a small city (Amarillo, TX) where 3G is available but hugely unpoluted. I see tons of people with iPhones, but to them it's just a phone. I wouldn't be surprised if I own the only jailbroken phone in this town. I helped some people jailbreak pre-3.0, but the people here are technological tards and didn't understand the benefits of the hacked phone. They went JB so they could change their wallpaper, lol.
    Does my 3G coincide with other cities' 3G? Amarillo's coverage is just fine, never dropped a call. But my 3G is different than the bigger cities, right?

Fun fun topic! Good night all

Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
    well now if you participated i would say this post kinda shows you have intention on it haha
    or am i just trying to proove that hes paranoid? do you really think that if i just happen to be streaming utube videos or ustream at that alloted time and place allocated by others, not myself, that i would be at fault? i just happend to be going along my own buisness along a normal day. what does that proove?
    killall Terminal[]

i dont see this doing much harm unless there is a mass amount of data use in one area. im always on my phone so i'll do some speed test to see if there are any affects from the operation choke hold.

also with the iphone you can use data and voice calls at the same time. will all the data use even affect calls?

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    or am i just trying to proove that hes paranoid? do you really think that if i just happen to be streaming utube videos or ustream at that alloted time and place allocated by others, not myself, that i would be at fault? i just happend to be going along my own buisness along a normal day. what does that proove?
    I never stated a court would convict you. You are assuming. I simply stated that it would be easy to find out if anyone was actually involved in this, see my other post on page 4.

Sure, call me paranoid all you want. Point is, I believe there will be repercussions to this act, and nobody knows what it will be, I am simply offering a viewpoint of what the other side could do.

this guy, and anyone who participates in this is an immature cockstain.....it's simple, u don't like at&t, don't enter into contract with them and don't give em your business. One thing i would like at&t and any other company that u enter into a service contract with is an escape clause.....hence.....if the TOS changes, and u don't agree with them, you should be able to cancel the contract without penalization. but here we have a guy, all grown up, working for a major publication being a whiney b***h, as far as i'm concerned.....he can suck a fart outta my @$$

What the "other side" can do is what gas companies do when folks circulate the same idea regarding gas prices. Folks boycott for a day gas companies and 2 weeks later gas prices rise. Of course, mobile providers don't have the legal means to raise your service fee while under contract but it also doesn't endear users to them. Anyways, sounds foolish. Just my thoughts.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It seems like people think that AT&T just sits idly by with upgrading their networks. They are working on this every day. It won't happen overnight.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayson9 View Post
    I'm in!!!!!!!

The person who dreamt this up should get alot of cudos. If it works, I only hope Verizon finds a way to use this in a comercial somehow - so that it really steams AT&T's @ss for days!

BTW, for those (who live in one of the 5 or so cities with GREAT 3G coverage) that think this will cause AT&T to raise our fees, big deal - don't participate. The rest of us with crap coverage will fill in for you..........!
    You're an idiot like all the rest who think this will help. The person who began this whole thing prob doesn't give a crap about AT&T nor you. How do you know he's not hoping that this trick will force AT&T to actually implement the usage limits to **** us iPhone users up?

Do any of you morons actually use your brains when it comes to business matters like this? Or do you all just follow on like baby ducks hoping for some kind of resolution? You're all going to probably end up ruining it for ALL OF US. Not just me, not just joe the plumber,even you yourselves. Such stupid childlike brains you all have.
    Last edited by hollow0; 12-17-2009 at 08:59 AM.

i will be using my slingbox with 3g unrestrictor!!!

Thanks

Default stroke'n that shaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    Not investing their income into their network? All it takes to see the innacuracy of this statement is to just go to AT&T's "About AT&T" page where you wil see that by the end of 2009, AT&T plans to add 2,000 cell sites. Even if they only make 75% of their total goal, that's still 5 sites a day being constructed all across America, and it costs roughly $245,580 to build a single cell site, so that's roughly $1.2 Million dollars being spent every day on their network.
    So even if you play it extremely conservative and assume they have 10-15 million iphone users currently paying them, you want me to be happy that they are investing $30 million'ish each month when they are taking in over $300 million per month in our data plans alone?!?! Beyond that simply adding towers is not the only solution to their problems. You are welcome to be happy being treated like the enemy by the only company that carriers the iphone but personally i'd rather not promote that kind of behavior. Is this going to convince ATT to back off? No and I'm sure when ATT finally does start metering their service or taking other steps 'in their customers best interest' you will be more than happy to blame it on these evil customers who just HAD to use all that precious bandwidth that they paid for. ATT bit off more than they could chew and rather than pro-actively solving the problem they point fingers and down-play the severity of the problem. Just sit in your corner and enjoy the kool-aid sir.

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Such stupid childlike brains you all have.
    very poetic! haha... Even if it does no good at all it should be fun to see if a collective push can actually have an impact on network performance. If it doesn't then it's just more proof that ATT's blaming the iPhone is pure BS and if it does then there should be some fun engadget posts to read! haha
    Last edited by jeffhesser; 12-17-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    What the "other side" can do is what gas companies do when folks circulate the same idea regarding gas prices. Folks boycott for a day gas companies and 2 weeks later gas prices rise. Of course, mobile providers don't have the legal means to raise your service fee while under contract but it also doesn't endear users to them. Anyways, sounds foolish. Just my thoughts.
    Well, the gas prices going up 2 weeks later to the "Gas Boycotts" that takes place is just coincidental. See, if everybody didn't buy gas for one day, it doesn't hurt anyone. It just doubles the gas pumped the following day.

Back to square one, my point.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to metaserph For This Useful Post:

Windmeel (12-17-2009)

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Could this not be considered an attack, similar to a denial of service?
    Using this logic when everyone goes home each night and turns on the tv at the same time or turns on the lights they are participating in DOS ?

It is also very easy for ATT to find out who participated in this with data logging of the
    So ATT would see by their logs that wifi service was off and folks were on 2/3 G (which is usual for me as I leave the office at lunch as I suspect many people do) and people did a lot of data traffic at lunch time. how would this be any different than any other day, would image the data traffic always goes up at lunch time.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGgeek View Post
    Using this logic when everyone goes home each night and turns on the tv at the same time or turns on the lights they are participating in DOS ?

So ATT would see by their logs that wifi service was off and folks were on 2/3 G (which is usual for me as I leave the office at lunch as I suspect many people do) and people did a lot of data traffic at lunch time. how would this be any different than any other day, would image the data traffic always goes up at lunch time.
    Time difference between sections of the country, it won't be lunch for everyone.
    Anyway, on Abc they have official comments from the FCC chairman and from homeland security.

Seriously guys, I'm not trying to argue, but simply asking people to think.
    Even the fake Steve Jobs is recanting on this operation. Possibly because he could face legal issues for attempting to negatively impact communications infrastructure??

Once you start seeing FCC and other govt agencies commenting, you know things are spinning out of control. If this does have an impact it will simply justify to the FCC, AT&T and everyone else that we use to much data, and will support caps on data. This could very well backfire.

This issue is very visible right now in the press, the point has been made. Oh and all the people supporting this on facebook with their names, personal data...seriously? Does the name cisco fatty ring a bell? People lose jobs/denied jobs for what is on their facebook...and once on the internet, always.

I think the chokehold will continue as planned, and good luck to all who participate. I'm done.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Heated topic huh? If this is the only way to get At&t's attention, so be it - will it work? Dunno. Buut it seems like the point is being lost:

"AT&T isnít investing in a network to support the iPhone and future mobile computing platforms even though they have the resources to do so, and are maximizing short-term shareholder profits over long-term share-holder and customer value"
    but I thought these bits of info from Gizmodo were pretty enlightning

oh and here's the link to AT&T's financial sheet
    http://www.att.com/Investor/Growth_P...ster_Q3_09.pdf

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Chokehold

go to that on iphone. and let the raping of ATT begin!
    I made it ra1n...again

'Reloading Data' - Ive spent the majority of my life seeing this

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast