Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Operation Chokehold" Spreading

It stuns me that otherwise intelligent people seem to think that this is a good idea.

Either they have no knowledge of how UMTS works, no knowledge of economics or are far less intelligent than I give them credit for.

Or I am wrong.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Channan (12-16-2009)

hadskasddskahdasdhaskd

iPhone? More like MyPhone compton,Tx's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Operation Fail
    Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Thanks bro hence why I said i had to wait
    No! Once again you won't be waiting. Since 3pm Eastern time is 12pm Pacific time there will be no wait! Bro

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

honestly, if i wasnt on tmobile right now, id be all for this :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

If I had an iPhone I would do this..as it is, maube I'll go to the Apple Store and put all the iPhones there on data-intensive!
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew1111 View Post
    If I had an iPhone I would do this..as it is, maube I'll go to the Apple Store and put all the iPhones there on data-intensive!
    iPhones at the Apple store do not have active SIMs in the phones, only at the At&t store.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by compton,Tx View Post
    No! Once again you won't be waiting. Since 3pm Eastern time is 12pm Pacific time there will be no wait! Bro
    WTF are you talking about? He will have to wait. Wait til 3 his time. Yes, it all happens at the same time, but he does have to wait until further on in his day to participate.

Either way, I really hope you don't participate, unless you actually enjoy being part of a pointless cause.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

santaf (12-17-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Yes Im so in! AT&T pisses me off, I'll prolly have to wait cause I'm on the east coast
    LOL Oh man, you just made my day.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    WTF are you talking about? He will have to wait. Wait til 3 his time. Yes, it all happens at the same time, but he does have to wait until further on in his day to participate.

Either way, I really hope you don't participate, unless you actually enjoy being part of a pointless cause.
    I'm sure we can all agree It won't make the network better but it will show them our anger, but them to hard work for an hour, and have to answer lots of complaints

it's no solution but it's a step to getting the point across

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    LOL Oh man, you just made my day.
    do explain
    Last edited by The Maestro; 12-16-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

I'm in!!!!!!!

The person who dreamt this up should get alot of cudos. If it works, I only hope Verizon finds a way to use this in a comercial somehow - so that it really steams AT&T's @ss for days!

BTW, for those (who live in one of the 5 or so cities with GREAT 3G coverage) that think this will cause AT&T to raise our fees, big deal - don't participate. The rest of us with crap coverage will fill in for you..........!
    Last edited by jayson9; 12-16-2009 at 07:04 PM.

this is just gonna slow down the network for 1 hour, okay. Is it just like when people are trying to use their cell phones during 9-11 and getting a busy signal.

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post
    Allow me to play devil's advocate.
    Could this not be considered an attack, similar to a denial of service?
    It is also very easy for ATT to find out who participated in this with data logging of the phones...
    Call me paranoid, but I really don't want a piece of this..
    Um, no. If someone starts streaming or using a large quantity of data at Noon PST, it can be pure coincidence considering the shear number of users and how often people use data (like myself), and if at&t was to somehow deny these customers service and or attempt to punish them otherwise, it could/would open a Pandora's Box of legal problems. So do it or don't do it. I'm sure Verizon will get a kick out of this. :/

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    Um, no. If someone starts streaming or using a large quantity of data at Noon PST, it can be pure coincidence considering the shear number of users and how often people use data (like myself), and if at&t was to somehow deny these customers service and or attempt to punish them otherwise, it could/would open a Pandora's Box of legal problems. So do it or don't do it. I'm sure Verizon will get a kick out of this. :/
    Actually, it would be very easy for ATT to simply run a pareto to develop a baseline usage history of all users that are using 3g data during the chokehold period. The baseline data can be used to establish users 3g usage habits, and particular peak times of usage.

If users are deviating out of normal 3g usage and 3g times, it can be 'assumed' they are participants in the choke hold operation.

I know it seems laughable, but at a company I worked at, we developed such a program to parse out personnels internet usage on company time by user name, data used and time. This happens more than we think in this wonderful digital age.

This being said, I seriously doubt ATT would want to spend the resources doing this as it is time consuming (unless they already have a program to pareto data, which they may have in order to analyze 3g bandwidth compared to peak usage times.)

I also do not believe this is going to provide the desired results.

Thanks

Cool, queers... ***** and complain to get what you want, typical douches. If you take part in this, you are undoubtedly a gigantic **** who probably doesn't understand ATT's service anyways.

Go buy a T-Mobile Nokia, idiots.
    Respect your elders.

This is not going to really prove anything. It may just cause a small hiccup in the network but if any other phone company would have accepted Apple's bid to bring the iPhone to their network they would have faced the same issue. To bring any type of telecommunication to it's knees it takes a disaster. Take the I-35 bridge collapse in Minnesota. Minutes after that happend all our sites communication went down. We had no land lines, cell phones and internet. All 3 services are provided by different companies. The only way we knew about it at our job site, which is 15 miles away, was because a courier mentioned it to us 30 minutes after the event. We had no idea because we don't listen to main radio and our phones could not get or send calls, even land lines. An hour of some people using video services will not be much.

I would find it funny if some of the people that participate in this do it and forget to turn off wifi. Also if you load a long YouTube video doesn't it just cache it. So you take a minute or so to download a 9 min video, which would still leave about 8 mins of no data.

Thanks

Down with AT&T!
    Last edited by ty22; 04-13-2010 at 05:09 PM.

This isn't illegal...doesn't violate terms of service

Quote Originally Posted by yahoowizard View Post
    This isn't illegal...doesn't violate terms of service
    It doesn't but it could be seen as an attack on a network. Sort of like how someone mentioned earlier about DoS attack. DoS attacks are not illegal here in the US but in the UK they are. So they should be safe.

I don't have issues with ATT and never have, even to all the places I travel. But good luck to those with this. Like I mentioned ealier it more than likely won't do much and the places it will are the areas that already have an issue holding load so most people will shrug it off.
    Last edited by Cer0; 12-16-2009 at 11:12 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

And what happens when the network ends up supporting the attempted dos?
    AT&T will look like heroes.
    Good luck with whatever it's being called.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default YourTube Cracked
    Thanks to YourTube Cracked I will be downloading "High Quality" videos from YouTube within that hour. Anybody that doesn't agree with this is a punk... It's only for 1 hour. Fix your Service AT&T. I'm tried of drop calls.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast