+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Operation Chokehold" Spreading

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Do people actually think that this will work? It'll just be another reason for AT&T considering charging tiered prices for monthly usage for iPhone users.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Do people actually think that this will work? It'll just be another reason for AT&T considering charging tiered prices for monthly usage for iPhone users.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FoneWeasel For This Useful Post:

Conas (12-16-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FoneWeasel View Post
    While I don't believe it will work, I also don't believe in standing by while change can be instigated.

Maybe it's the the "Generation X" that I grew up in though.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

As much as I am against this for the reason that if the service sucks as much as people complain, they should not buy an iPhone and use ATT. When ATT and Apple's sales drop, they will find another carrier and people will see change.

On the other side, if ATT is worried that iPhone owners and its users streaming videos and using bandwidth all at once, they better rethink their network design. If this simple planned raise in use could possibly destroy their network, imagine a major issue in the US causing people to quickly pull news, texts, phone calls, emails, etc in a surge.

Thanks

I'm in. Screw them trying to put a usage limit on your phone. I'm gonna be watching youtube videos the whole hour.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vish For This Useful Post:

JedixJarf (12-16-2009), MrJayRizzie (12-16-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by niqolas619 View Post
    I hope there aren't very many people that go through with this, because it is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. If this goes through, it might cause millions of people to lose service during that time, and who knows what emergencies or important calls might be missed.

Extremely irresponsible and will not improve anything. I can't believe this guy is a writer for Newsweek, it sounds like a scheme a pissed off teenager would come up with.
    Sounds like an AT&T sales person...this is exactly what AT&T will respond to. The network is substandard and needs major development in order to meet the changing needs of a mobile community. I recommend that anyone with emergencies or important calls not use AT&T because of the unreliability.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
    Definitely won't be participating. I'd rather work with my carrier in improving my service, not against them.
    How are you going to do that? By sitting by quietly, paying for a crappy network and hoping that AT&T eventually does something?
    Last edited by twitchthecat; 12-16-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twitchthecat For This Useful Post:

JedixJarf (12-16-2009), k.nitsua (12-16-2009), MrJayRizzie (12-16-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    I'm in. Screw them trying to put a usage limit on your phone. I'm gonna be watching youtube videos the whole hour.
    LOL!!!

ME TOO HOMIE!! I saw some booty shaking videos I need to catch up on via you tube anyway..

LOL!!
    JayRizzie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post
    Allow me to play devil's advocate.
    Could this not be considered an attack, similar to a denial of service?
    It is also very easy for ATT to find out who participated in this with data logging of the phones...
    Call me paranoid, but I really don't want a piece of this..
    I call you paranoid.
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xwinger For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (12-16-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twitchthecat View Post
    Sounds like an AT&T sales person...this is exactly what AT&T will respond to. The network is substandard and needs major development in order to meet the changing needs of a mobile community. I recommend that anyone with emergencies or important calls not use AT&T because of the unreliability.

How are you going to do that? By sitting by quietly, paying for a crappy network and hoping that AT&T eventually does something?
    I AGREE...... D*CK RIDING PUNKS!! I cant stand ppl who act like they part of the damn company..

Get off AT&T nuts and join the movement....
    JayRizzie

Green Apple
    Thanks

I personally think it's funny and if I still had my iphone I would definitely participate in this. However, i traded my iphone for a blackberry 9700 and my 3G service is 5x better than it ever was with my iphone 3G. I get a perfect 3G signal almost everywhere I go I’m in NYC I get 3G in many subway stations that I couldn’t even dream of getting service with my iphone and i think I’ve only had 1 dropped call with my blackberry which is much better than 10 dropped calls with my iphone. Now that i have a blackberry I haven’t looked back and I still think at&t has a lot of work to do in NYC. Which at least De la Vega admitted that they will fix it but point blank the iphone sucks as a phone, the 3G radio is extremely weak because my blackberry rarely if ever looses 3G and it gets 3G in many subway stations that my iphone never even dreamed of getting service its almost night and day difference.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'd help out, but.. I don't get any 3G/Edge signal when I'm at work...

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

I will be tethering and streaming video for an hour.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JedixJarf For This Useful Post:

MrJayRizzie (12-17-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think it's a bad idea. What can we prove with this? AT&T knows we can consume huge amounts of data. When gas prices were sky high, did anyone suggest that we all go out and consume as much gas as possible? Of course not. This will only result in ATT becoming angry. They will also get a glimpse of how much data can be used and the potential for extreme overheads. I'm angry at them too. I hate the fact that my "unlimited data" may soon become "limited data with severe punishment for over-use".

Let's think of something different. We could spam ATTs coverage app. It'd be kinda frightening if they look at the GPS responses and it hugely resembles a picture of their coverage map.
    "Got a horde of angry customers? There's a map for that."

Don't let Fake Steve Jobs lead you astray. He didn't make this suggestion because he thinks it'll work, he just wanted vindication and recognition for his occasionally stale blogs. I've read his stuff before, it's nothing but media fill in my opinion. Had y'all heard of him before this ill conceived concept was brought to light? Some of you may have, but I'm sure most people hadn't.

You are all my brothers. If I choose not to fight this battle, I still support your decision. I will bring extra chargers to work for any fallen comrades!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Conas For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (12-16-2009), hollow0 (12-16-2009), MrJayRizzie (12-17-2009)

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post
    One commenter on Gizmodo's story on Operation Chokehold quipped: "I have one problem with this. How do we know if the operation is underway? I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference."
    I lol'ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Conas View Post
    I will bring extra chargers to work for any fallen comrades!

I lol'ed again.
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 12-16-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    #eli7e revived me

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twitchthecat View Post

So lets see here you think that by sucking up data on their network they will actually improve their network? Yeah, that will work. What if then, they up the charges on your bill? What will you say or do then? Are you going to continue watching youtube and greatly increasing your data usage like an idiot?

Quote Originally Posted by Conas View Post
    You are all my brothers. If I choose not to fight this battle, I still support your decision. I will bring extra chargers to work for any fallen comrades!
    LOL! That's so funny!
    Last edited by hollow0; 12-16-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hollow0 For This Useful Post:

Luppin (12-16-2009)

Thanks

I'm participating, but wouldn't it be funny if a few minutes before the chokehold, AT&T "accidentally" turns off the data plan for all iPhones? Lol at the massive bills
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Yes Im so in! AT&T pisses me off, I'll prolly have to wait cause I'm on the east coast
    Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm77 View Post
    This will indeed prove that AT&T customers can ban together and make a statement. I would consider doing this everyday for the rest of the month. Force AT&T to stop being assholes and deal with the issue rather than passing the buck to its customers.

Down with AT&T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yup AT&T pisses you off, it's most likely because of them that you even have an iPhone. You weren't comlaining when they made the price of the 3G so low that even SOMEONE ON WELWARE could afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJayRizzie View Post
    I CANT STAND AT&T ... Especially there home service when the took over bellsouth... They customer service SUCKS... Those reps act like they are soo hard core on the phone and they dont keep notes and will screw you on your bill....

This is a great Operation bc I personally have been screwed.. AT&T charged me $1000 for data when I had the data package on my acct unlimited.. What they said- It was never on my acct... What kind of BS is that? I had the super smart rep look at my bill from the previous month and guess what it was on there.. Their excuse- the network removed bc I put my sim card in a less data capable phone. I change phones from my iPhone and put it in a phone that uses LESS data and the network drops my data when I go to use it?? So I am all for this chokehold..
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJayRizzie View Post
    I AGREE...... D*CK RIDING PUNKS!! I cant stand ppl who act like they part of the damn company..

Get off AT&T nuts and join the movement....
    It's your own fault that that happened, you paid for the iPhone data package, not standard unlimited data, those are two entirely different things, but way to completely overlook your own shortcomings just to attempt to prove a point. Oh and by the look of how you speak (especially in that second quote) it seems to me that you think you're "mad hard" when you're just some little punk yourself, grow up and stop talking like some piece of trash. "Get off AT&T nuts", "D*CK RIDING PUNKS!!", "ppl who act like they part" - complete and total ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    Awesome... even on a site devoted to standing up for the rights of consumers to use devices/services they PAID for, there are users who are more concerned for the corporation than their own rights! The issue here is that we are all paying for a service and ATT is too busy lining it's wallet rather than re-investing this income into their network! ATT needs to stop treating it's customers like the enemy and start trying to solve some of these problems.
    Not investing their income into their network? All it takes to see the innacuracy of this statement is to just go to AT&T's "About AT&T" page where you wil see that by the end of 2009, AT&T plans to add 2,000 cell sites. Even if they only make 75% of their total goal, that's still 5 sites a day being constructed all across America, and it costs roughly $245,580 to build a single cell site, so that's roughly $1.2 Million dollars being spent every day on their network.

Quote Originally Posted by niqolas619 View Post
    I hope there aren't very many people that go through with this, because it is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. If this goes through, it might cause millions of people to lose service during that time, and who knows what emergencies or important calls might be missed.

Extremely irresponsible and will not improve anything. I can't believe this guy is a writer for Newsweek, it sounds like a scheme a pissed off teenager would come up with.
    Thank you, you may not all realize this, but AT&T isn't going to meet this "Operation Chokehold" with chocolate and flowers, it will pretty much FORCE THEM to instate bandwith limits on their network, which means you're ******* up everything for all of us by being angsty little kids trying to fight back against "the man". By showing them that we can use an IMMENSE amount of data all at once, the only logical conclusion is going to be to charge the **** out of everyone who clogged up their multi-billion dollar network just for shits and giggles. The complete and total lack of responsibility of all of you people in this "movement" infuriates me, and I hope all your mommies and daddies ground you for a year when they see their $1,000 phone bill. ~_~
    Last edited by Luppin; 12-16-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Grammatical/Spelling errors~

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luppin For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (12-16-2009), hancoma (12-16-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol let's do it!!! AT&T sucks

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ddonuts4 For This Useful Post:

tgabriel123 (12-16-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In my opinion this is a very immature, and irresponsible way of handling the problem. Let us look at the Mobility side of AT&T for a moment. They are the exclusive dealer of a product that is highly desirable in this market. The problem is the fact iphone users on average consume more than 5-7 times the data compared to your average cell phone user. With that much more data being used for their network, I don't know how you can fairly compare them to their competitors such as Verizon. I am not saying that performance in certain major cities couldn't be better, what I am saying is that AT&T has a disvantage in the fact that alot of their customers are taking full advantage of their cellular network compared to any other service provider in the US. Obviously this is going to cause congestion in certain heavily populated areas, and AT&T is starting to admit their limitations, and looking for solutions to this problem. Also CNET has stated that they were wrong in claiming that AT&T wanted to use a tier system for data usage, instead AT&T is looking for ways to curb data usage by giving incentives. Again this is just one possible solution they came up with and I'm sure it is not for the long term but for the short term until their next generation 3g services are up and running to handle more bandwith. I am sure the guys are thinking of various methods of handling the situation but as of now the problem is the fact that their network is being overloaded. To fix the problem they can upgrade their network but this does not take place over night... so in the meantime they are thinking ways to decrease data usage from customers. It also does not help that most of us on this forum have jailbroken iphones and use apps and programs that were declined by either AT&T/Apple. For instance 3g unrestrictor... I am not going to lie, it is a brilliant tool but the problem is there is a reason why certain apps are only meant to be utilized by wifi... Give AT&T some credit, they are finally admitting their shortcomings and obviously they want to fix them, we may not be happy with their ideas but remember they have a business to run that is profitable for them and their shareholders.

The iphone has obviously revolutionized the way most cell phone users utilize a cellular network, in a sense you can view them as the industry leader in making it a requirement to have a data plan for a phone. The outcome was more data usage, maybe a lot more than they have forecasted and now are having to re-evaluate their situation to find solutions that are beneficial for both the company and its subscribers. Every industry leader will experience problems eventually that no one else has experienced, so they have no basis to go off for a "correct plan of action", so give them time and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Now lets just say for example this "choke plan" works and does bring AT&T's towers crippling, making all calls drop, text messages to be delayed etc. etc. (which I highly doubt).. but if this works... will you guys take ownership of what the outcome may be?

Sorry if this was too long or sounded repetitive I was just at work on a lunch break and wasn't hungry!
    Last edited by yuntanman; 12-16-2009 at 03:30 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yuntanman For This Useful Post:

tgabriel123 (12-16-2009), Windmeel (12-17-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

ATT has pissed me off for the last time, so count me in! apple has created a great phone, but ATT has to go ruin it all. I really do hope verizon will get the iphone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think it's retarded. Possibly no service for a WHOLE hour? =O Whatever will I do for an hour? The people that participate will have fun doing it, the people that don't, but know what's going on won't fault AT&T for a bunch of immature whiners, and everyone else will just blow it off after the hour is up.

I hope AT&T cuts off data to everyone who's activity is out of the ordinary Friday.
    Last edited by Channan; 12-16-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

tgabriel123 (12-16-2009)