+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft's Bing! App now Available in the AppStore

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Last week I mentioned that Microsoft was working on two new iPhone apps , Bing! being one of them. I'm not much of a Bing! user myself. Infact, I'll be
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default Microsoft's Bing! App now Available in the AppStore

Last week I mentioned that Microsoft was working on two new iPhone apps, Bing! being one of them. I'm not much of a Bing! user myself. Infact, I'll be honest, I have maybe used it a two ro three times. For some reason I just don't feel comfortable mixing Microsoft with my searching habits. Then again, Google isn't much better in that department.

Nonetheless, It's interesting news when a new Microsoft App rolls into the almighty Apple iTunes, and the surprise with this one, is that the app is actually pretty darn good at what it does. An official Bing app has been available for Windows phones, Blackberry and Sidekicks for awhile now, and the iPhone is no exception.

The app mimics the feel of Bing’s website, featuring an fresh new image each day along with some trivial information that appears when you hide the main menu. Of course, it uses your location to help determine nearby services and narrow down your search terms.

Much like Google's app, Bing! incorporates a Voice Control feature that allows you to perform regular web searches or look for complex directions, hands free. Another nice touch is the way they lay out the map, so if you can't pinch there is a nice zoom in and out button. The map loads rather quick as well ans is pretty damn smooth.

All I gotta say is that Microsoft is smart to get in on this market. I wonder what kind of marketing they'll do for it, if any.

“Make decisions and get where you need to go with Bing. See the Bing daily image and related trivia on the home screen. Search maps or the Web with your voice–even say an address. Use Image Search and flick through previews. Download Bing today to find stuff nearby and get there fast.”
    Bing! iTunes Link

Hehehe and for a good chuckle at the irony of Microsoft apps in the AppSore. [Thanks Gary for this one]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo[/ame]
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-16-2009 at 04:05 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    it's actually pretty cool

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Microsoft can shove it! Go make your own app store
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Downloading this minute...at least Apple has shown some sense in letting in the competition...Now let's thrash them (microsoft)...

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Why did that interviewer keep asking questions to compare the iPhone and Zune? They perform the same but one is strictly a music device while the other incorporates phone features... Also, how come ballmer mentioned that Apple sells 0 phones a year and microsoft sells millions? Did i misinterpret that statement? Cuz last time i recalled, Apple is in the history books for the most sold phone device upon launch...or am i wrong about that? O.O

In any case the Bing! app looks great. I'm not going to install it as i have already a similar app.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not a bad looking app. About time they got into the iPhone/iPod Appstore becuase it sure isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Green Apple
    Thanks

bing sucks

Thanks

U guys r retarded... bing is amazing! what sucks is they only incorperated 1 (images) of the 3 best features of bing (images, iphone apps and VIDEOS)

bing's video search is the only round about way that anyone could ever compete with youtube. Can't beleive they left that out of this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

It didn't get rejected? Is it fast?

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Another app I will not be downloading...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

useless to me...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

I am one person that is on the bing suck band wagon, but this app is actually realy good. It's extremely fast and love how it uses the phones location for resaults.

+1

Thanks

Boooo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    For some reason I just don't feel comfortable mixing Microsoft with my searching habits.
    lolwut? That has to be the most immature reason to not use a search engine I have ever seen. LOL M$ ARE MEANIES, THEY'LL MESS UP MY SEARCH RESULTS

Thanks

This is probably gonna be a safari replacement for me because its fast, its beautiful and it works. Not three adjectives I get to use very often with microsoft products. As for that guy in the video, he can suck on my nuts. Zune sucks, and Windows Mobile is even worse unless you let the people at HTC fix it up for you.

Thanks

I will wait for the other application.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ichwohneinloche View Post
    This is probably gonna be a safari replacement for me because its fast, its beautiful and it works. Not three adjectives I get to use very often with microsoft products. As for that guy in the video, he can suck on my nuts. Zune sucks, and Windows Mobile is even worse unless you let the people at HTC fix it up for you.
    How does the Zune suck? It has an OLED screen, Tegra, and an incredibly beautiful UI for only $290.

Thanks

that CEO was giving CLASS A misdirection. you can misdirect any crowd with anything you want and make them believe it. weather that be for a few minutes or a lifetime. if you deliver that message with a smile, confident misdirected facts allways about other things [than the asked question] and straight flat out lie. people will believe you. the reason being is that he is only thinking about that interview at that time. its like a snake charmer, or a hypnotist. they are only interested in the moment. theyll deal with the future when that comes with more misdirected gray terminology.

as for bing, dont like it on my browser. doubt its any better on my iphone
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

I just got around to pickin this one up. I must say...its pretty sexy. I keep it as my main screen when I log in.. well unless i have a missed call or text

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

BING is faster on the iphone than GOOGLE MAPS...
    If you are using it for directions like I am then it's the one to have.