+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 64GB iPhones and 128GB iPods On the Way?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Toshiba announced today that it will begin mass production in 2010 of 64GB NAND memory. Many observers believe that the modules are headed for the iPhone, noting that Apple has
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 64GB iPhones and 128GB iPods On the Way?

Toshiba announced today that it will begin mass production in 2010 of 64GB NAND memory. Many observers believe that the modules are headed for the iPhone, noting that Apple has doubled the capacity of the device every year since it was introduced - with possibly a pair of them to be fitted into an upgraded 128GB iPod touch in the year to come.

The iPhone 3GS models currently shipping include either a single 16GB or 32GB Toshiba NAND module, with the iPod touch coming in 32GB or 64GB variants. The top-of-the-line iPhone has half the memory of the largest iPod touch for the simple reason that you can only fit a single module in an iPhone while the iPod touch can handle two: the iPhone needs extra space, obviously, for its telephony components.

Toshiba's new 64GB module in made up of sixteen 32 gigabit (or 4 gigabyte) NAND chips integrated with a dedicated controller: the first product to combine that many 32 Gbit chips on a single module. Toshiba credits its 32 nm manufacturing process and chip thinning technology for the advance, bragging that the individual chips are only 30 micrometers thick. Toshiba's line will range from 2GB to 64GB and are compatible with the latest e-MMC standard.

The chip manufacturer says that they are hoping to build three million units a month by the first quarter of next year. Prices for the new modules were not released.

image via Toshiba
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 12-15-2009 at 10:12 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

4G 64GB 4.0
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks
    And of course they will come out with a better Iphone , They always do .
    And I will be one of the dummies that go out and get it like I always do.
    I'm so far ahead , that everyday is yesterday !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

About the 8 month (past halfway) mark you start thinking about selling the 32gb phone and going down to the 2g or 3g "beater" you have $125 in until the 64 is released so you get your money back on your 32gb at the right time.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is interesting, and perhaps the first peice of viable evidence for the new iPhone. I hope 3gs owners get the loyalty discount for the new one.

Thanks

Yeah it'd be nice to get a discount if you have 3gs prolly won't happen tho.. But I'll get it anyways

Thanks

128GB iTouch!, Thats..... 120GB bigger than mine!

Thanks

120gb touch? other than it being $90000 that would be the only thing is replace my zune for.. then i could keep my iphone solely for my apps and movies and some music and my touch could be all music, all the time

Thanks

Cant imagine needing that much space on your phone . I have a 16gb and have about 3 gb free and cant think of anything else I need to put on it that is needed everyday. I delete games and apps that I no longer use and replace them with new ones. Music is the only thing that stays there. Movies are getting to hard to watch so I dont bother with them anymore .

Thanks

I honestly would rather see more RAM/ROM and more processing power than more storage. With all the streaming options out there I really don't need more than 16gigs to be on my system at all times.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    I honestly would rather see more RAM/ROM and more processing power than more storage. With all the streaming options out there I really don't need more than 16gigs to be on my system at all times.
    Yes that be nice to see happen too!

64GB iPhone. I would buy one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    I honestly would rather see more RAM/ROM and more processing power than more storage...

I second that!...More RAM/ROM and processing power and definitely a better and swappable battery too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    I second that!...More RAM/ROM and processing power and definitely a better and swappable battery too!
    and peace on earth.....
    Swappable battery probably will not happen . If those D-Bags at Apple havent gotten that message yet and worked on it , then dont count on it anytime in the near future . If they put a better battery in there that doesnt get too hot and last longer , then I'm fine with that .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    About the 8 month (past halfway) mark you start thinking about selling the 32gb phone and going down to the 2g or 3g "beater" you have $125 in until the 64 is released so you get your money back on your 32gb at the right time.
    So he can buy his brand new iPhone XY only to use it 2/3 of the FOLLOWING year and repeat the same process? =]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Once it's jailbroken, and if it has 64GB of space, I'm getting one. I don't care how much it costs!

Thanks

i am drooling
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can't wait for this one. I'll definitely be upgrading my 3G 16GB for this. I have two lines one qualifies for an upgrade now and the other qualifies in may of '10 so I'm going to upgrade my girls 2G 8GB (with a cracked screen) for a 3GS 16GB (she doesn't really use the extra space and I will wait for my upgrade for this one.

Can you imagine if Apple keeps up with these annual upgrades we might see a 128GB iPhone by summer of '11!!!!!! Can't wait for that!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhones are now literally mini computers...with whole hard drives in their little cases!
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Can't wait to upgrade
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I for one would like too have a flash on it for once, is it really that hard apple too put a flash on there? You should have put one on the 3G S. I just sold my 3G S and I am using my 16gb 2G phone right now waiting to see what happens