+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: China Unicom to Introduce Its Own App Service

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default China Unicom to Introduce Its Own App Service

Following the recent news that iPhone sales are finally picking up for China Unicom, Apple’s partner for introducing and selling the iPhone in China, now comes word that China Unicom has another ambitious plan in the works: launching its very own App Store.

Although there have been rumblings about such plans without actual confirmation in recent weeks, 9to5Mac is reporting today that previous speculations will soon be proven correct.

A senior executive at a subsidiary of Apple’s current Chinese carrier confirmed these plans, saying that Shanghai Unicom is testing "Wan Jia Ying" (Player Camp) an online platform on which iPhone users can exchange information and share content.
    Although some positive signs have emerged from the slight uptick in iPhone sales reported from China Unicom, it will be a long, long time before the iPhone becomes as universal in China as it is elsewhere in the world. In fact, such universality will likely not be achieved until the cost of the device is lowered and China allows Wi-Fi connectivity, something the Chinese Government doesn't permit under current regulations.

With so many strikes against the iPhone in China, why would China Unicom invest in its own App Store at this time? And will doing so really impact sales enough to drastically improve the iPhone's standing in the Chinese marketplace? It doesn't seem so. But it also doesn't seem like the perceived challenges will stop China Unicom from trying to make the iPhone user experience as unique to China as possible.

Testing of the service began in August, but the plan doesn’t include making this China Unicom’s primary application platform. It currently offers over 270 apps, including both free and paid versions. Reports in advance of the iPhone launch in China claimed one sticking point in putting distribution deals in place with carriers there was the desire of local incumbents to promote their own App Store, rather than ceding the market to Apple.
    No word yet as to when the new App Store will launch or what it may ultimately look like or offer. For now, China Unicom is just happy to know that in excess of 100,000 iPhones have been sold in China so far. And it seems that purchase rate is adequate to inspire the aggressive push planned for a Chinese app store.

Image via Newsday

Thanks

1st

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    In fact, such universality will likely not be achieved until the cost of the device is lowered and China allows Wi-Fi connectivity, something the Chinese Government doesn't permit under current regulations.
    It has been my understanding that the Chinese Government removed the "No WIFI" requirement several months ago but it was after China Unicom had purchased their iPhones without the WIFI.

adp
    Thanks

An app service for the total 3 iPhones sold on the first week :P
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

No wifi...another reason blackmarket iphones are successful.
    With the strict internet controls China has in place, even if they did have wifi, it is still limited with regard to being able to visit sites that are considered a threat to the empire or 'morality'..some of which include the bbc, news groups...anything with the word sex, or Tibet...etc.

Here is a link if you are interested.
    Sites Inaccessible in China - Documentation of Internet Filtering in China

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

It's over 100,000 iPhones sold total now and it wasn't 3 it was 11.

I'm surprised Apple allows them to have their own App Store.

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post
    With the strict internet controls China has in place, even if they did have wifi, it is still limited with regard to being able to visit sites that are considered a threat to the empire or 'morality'..some of which include the bbc, news groups...anything with the word sex, or Tibet...etc.

They don't need to visit the web for sex, they prob have that right around the corner.
    Last edited by hollow0; 12-15-2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moribo View Post
    1st
    could I have a medium chicken special, with no mushrooms please, but extra cheese.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post

I have just tested some of the links on the page that you linked to and can tell you that that list is not accurate and horribly out of date (the last entry was Nov. of 2003).

I don't agree with the filtering in the least.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eremeya View Post
    I have just tested some of the links on the page that you linked to and can tell you that that list is not accurate and horribly out of date (the last entry was Nov. of 2003).

I don't agree with the filtering in the least.
    Agreed the list is not updated, and was from 2003. Does not necessarily mean this list is not active still, simply because the time stamp is old. I guarantee that all of these sites are still being filtered. Definitely Tibet.

My point is, and I agree with you, is that filtering continues regardless, and I am not sure of the value add of wifi with limitations.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moribo View Post
    1st
    ^fag

As far as this news... POPPYCOCK!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

so this is an app store not affiliated with apples app store? isnt this like cydia and rock? i wonder how apple feels about this?
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

it shall be more of a legalised cydia.. NO JB
    Nobody dies a virgin... technology f*cks them all