+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iHandstick Clearly Has 'Control' Issues

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It's been decided by everyone but the executives in Cupertino that the iPhone and iTouch represent the future of handheld gaming. And although these particular mobile devices weren't designed with
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iHandstick Clearly Has 'Control' Issues

It's been decided by everyone but the executives in Cupertino that the iPhone and iTouch represent the future of handheld gaming. And although these particular mobile devices weren't designed with video gaming prowess at the apex of the priority list, avid gamers have fallen for the iPhone and it seems little can come between these two lovers.

Yet one of the greatest obstacles (according to some gamers) prohibiting the iPhone from taking off and never looking back within the mobile gaming community is the lack of a controller-esque feel and functionality. In an attempt to resolve this issue for those it bothers, the makers of iHandstick are hoping to capitalize on the potential of the iPhone gaming market by giving gamers exactly what many want.

From iPhone-Scoop:

As luck would have it, the iHandstick that has recently entered the iPhone market as an accessory is said to ease up your gaming experience and take it to a new level. Now this hand held device is probably what everyone is looking forward to.
    But some folks who have reportedly given the new device a chance are now pointing to problems that others could see coming from a mile away. For example, iHandstick does not offer any control functionality through the grip mechanism. All the device can do is hoist your iPhone or iPod Touch on top of a traditional-looking video game controller to enable you to hold your Apple device exactly as you would a Playstation controller. Otherwise, touchscreen games will still require you to play them the same way as before. So, in this regard, the iHandstick could prove an even bigger impediment to comfortable iPhone gaming.

It is so easy to use that all you need to do is snap on your iPhone or iPod Touch onto the hand held grip of the phone. The iHandstick is compatible with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and the 2nd and 3rd generation of the iPod as well.
    The above passage wholly sums up what the iHandstick is good for. As indicated by a recent profile from Gizmodo, anyone with illusions that iHandstick will revolutionize the iPhone video gaming experience should start to yank down their soaring expectations.

The biggest thing keeping the iPhone from rendering the Nintendo DSi and Sony PSP Go obsolete is its lack of physical buttons. You just can't play some games with a touchscreen. And this wacky iHandstick does nothing to solve that.
    Image via Gizmodo

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

iControl Pad has been in development for like 300 years now. They are said to release the hardware sometime around Christmas 2020.

That should give the gamers what they want!

Honestly the control scheme is great! The only time I personally NEED physical buttons is while using one of ZodTTD's emulators. This is primarily because of the poorly implemented cross pad. If he would just re-work the cross pad to work like a gameloft virtual control stick then there would be no need for physical buttons.

tim

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klouud For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (12-14-2009), reanimationxp (12-14-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I still believe the iPhone should remain a "phone" and not some gaming device. I don't want Apple putting all of their focus on gaming. I would rather have Apple focus on the core elements of a "phone" with better functionality. If i want portable gaming I'll use my PSP. I don't mind the other games for the iPhone but the intense gaming is too much for the current battery it has. But that's just my opinion...

Thanks

I always find that my right hand covers the speaker when playing games - this looks like it does nothing to solve that either.
    I think I can just about hold my iPhone without a handle so will probably give this one a miss.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow, no analog stick or buttons. When will a company just make a dockable controller. Is it just me or does plugging a Nunchuck into a iPhone sound like a good idea?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snoozkewl View Post
    Wow, no analog stick or buttons. When will a company just make a dockable controller. Is it just me or does plugging a Nunchuck into a iPhone sound like a good idea?
    Rather it be an SNES or N64 controller, but I'm dreaming

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I always find that my right hand covers the speaker when playing games - this looks like it does nothing to solve that either.
    I think I can just about hold my iPhone without a handle so will probably give this one a miss.
    In most games you can invert the screen. I dont know how you hold your iPhone but it works for me.

Anyway who the hell would want to carry this huge plastic thing around? It's so useless lol. Reminds me of all the Wii plastic ad ons. I can hold my iPhone just fine without this thing lol.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    I still believe the iPhone should remain a "phone" and not some gaming device. I don't want Apple putting all of their focus on gaming. I would rather have Apple focus on the core elements of a "phone" with better functionality. If i want portable gaming I'll use my PSP. I don't mind the other games for the iPhone but the intense gaming is too much for the current battery it has. But that's just my opinion...
    But not everyone has a PSP do they, or want to lug another piece of hardware around. Apple have obviously touted the touch for gaming and trying to keep it away from the iPhone, god knows why. But they will always put their focus on the phone, where is the evidence they haven't? This article is about third-party hardware, and what is wrong with a third-party developing something to make gaming more of an experience for those that want to use the iPhone as a mobile gaming device. But that's just my opinion...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    I still believe the iPhone should remain a "phone" and not some gaming device....
    i agree

Thanks

i have to agree this doesnt seem to revolutionize anything quite yet...has potential for future ideas.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

DEVELOPERS:

make it:
    -have 8-12 physical buttons preferably analog and dpad.
    -have a builtin external battery
    -stereo speakers.

that's all I ask...
    [/] Yellowsn0w

[ ] Bluesn0w?

iPhone? More like MyPhone slidingmike's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thecork View Post
    But they will always put their focus on the phone, where is the evidence they haven't?
    How about the fact we had to wait forever in a day to get MMS? Or how about the fact of no ability to customize our phone? Or how about the fact they didn't implement video recording on the first iPhone.

You stop and look at this stuff before i ever switched and got my iphone 3g my phone had all of this. If apple was really focusing on what phones have and what people use in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting...if they could some how replace the XBOX360 controller with the iPhone/Touch, it would be niice! (I hope they do, I love both consoles)
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Thanks

yea nice design on a controller but we want buttons. this is basically useless as of now, im not gonna drop 20$ or so for something to just hold the phone and give it a false feeling of a controller. WE WANT BUTTONS
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thecork View Post
    But not everyone has a PSP do they, or want to lug another piece of hardware around.
    And it's not just another piece of hardware, don't forget the games.

Quote Originally Posted by slidingmike View Post
    How about the fact we had to wait forever in a day to get MMS? Or how about the fact of no ability to customize our phone? Or how about the fact they didn't implement video recording on the first iPhone.

You stop and look at this stuff before i ever switched and got my iphone 3g my phone had all of this. If apple was really focusing on what phones have and what people use in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    You sorta proved his point - NONE of that makes the PHONE part any more or less functional.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 12-15-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    And it's not just another piece of hardware, don't forget the games.

You sorta proved his point - NONE of that makes the PHONE part any more or less functional.
    I'm glad it's not just me that felt his post was completely pointless. How is video recording any different to mobile gaming? Just because other phones did it first...in 2 years time people will complain when the latest sh1tsung phone comes out that doesnt have the ability to play any decent games on it.

My original point still remains the same...what has ******** about what the iPhone can and cannot do with a third party piece of hardware trying to make the phone more usable TO THOSE THAT WANT IT. Everyone else who couldnt give a monkeys about playing games...heres a thought, dont.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Buttons
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...