+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modder Gains Root Access to the Droid

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Modder Gains Root Access to the Droid

Despite widespread inferences to the contrary, obtaining root access to the Droid is, indeed, possible. Just this week, Cyanogen, a famous Android modder, confirmed the speculation on Twitter, saying that, yes, the “Droid does … ROOT.”

Zinx Verituse, the clever hacker who mined the exploit, isn't hoarding the details and links necessary to prevent other modders from doing the same. You can follow the guide yourself by clicking here.

In a nutshell, gaining root access bestows the opportunities one might expect - for example, the ability to customize the device with multitouch features lke the pinch-to-zoom functionality conspicuously absent in the Android 2.0. Additionally, a successful hack also means you can gain access to widgets and skins that would ordinarily be "off-limits" to the Droid.

According to coverage from eWeek:

Root access means users gain full rights to control the phone, taking the power away from the phone maker—Motorola—and its carrier Verizon Wireless. Android is open source, so it is expected that geeks play with the code and find ways to jailbreak the devices running it to do whatever they want. Modders did this for the Apple iPhone, bringing a source of perverse pride to the hacker community because Apple modus operandi is closed and controlling.
    Of course, jailbreaking an iPhone is somewhat different from tinkering with the "complex and "feature-rich" Droid. For this reason, even some well-known, die-hard hackers are urging great caution to those willing and supposedly able to harness the power behind the root access unearthed.

The people at Wired put it this way:

"While today marks a great feat in the Android community, rooting a phone does involve risks. If you have no idea what you're doing or what unlocking is, you might run the risk of bricking your phone (making it useless) or disabling essential features. Needless to say, unlocking will probably void your warranty and might put you in violation of the carrier's terms of service agreement."
    All in, this is pretty cool stuff and a great discovery for our growing community of modders. With the Droid now officially busted into, keep your eyes and ears peeled for new discoveries and modifications related to the device on a regular basis.

Image via Wired

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

God that phone is ugly. How is Apple still 2 years ahead of everyone else?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianlg View Post
    2 Years ahead? Most of Apple's designs are straight rips of Braun products from the '60s..

Thanks

Shouldn't this be posted on ModmyGstring or whatever the Android site is called? It is nothing to do with the iPhone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quister View Post
    2 Years ahead? Most of Apple's designs are straight rips of Braun products from the '60s..
    Yeah, two years ahead (can you not read?). What other phone out right now can do what the iPhone can? And have over 100,000 apps available. And congratulations for Braun, I didn't mention the iPhone's design. I said the Droid is ugly (it is.. watch their OWN commercials, they basically claim they are ugly).

I'm sorry you're stuck with Verizon. But be honest, there isn't (and hasn't been) a better phone out than the iPhone.
    Last edited by brianlg; 12-10-2009 at 07:00 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The way I see it is, if you screw up your phone while playing with root access, your problem. Educate yourself before jumping in to things head first.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wait a minute..... "Access to widgets that would be off limits to the droid?"

I thought the whole basis on the Droid and Android platform was you can write an app to do anything?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

still a feat for the phone that doesnt even have a serial cable port on the phone...

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm77 View Post
    3rd
    No one cares.

Isn't the point of the HTC and Droids to be fully customizable, run 3rd party apps and all that? I'm not really keeping track of them, but it's ironic how they have to do the same process to break into the phone as their hated iPhone.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

iphone is still the best. But verizon is a lot better than AT&T

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    iphone is still the best. But verizon is a lot better than AT&T
    Has always been the truth sadly
    ATT has the best phones and worst service.
    Verizon has the best service and worst phones. (although I did love my BBTour when I had it)

I was with verizon for years, but the iPhone is worth having even with the ****** service. It's not terrible, but compared to verizon it's definitely inferior. ATT will have to step up their game though and start adding more towers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

loved my iPhone but like my DROID and LOVE my NO DROPPED calls since i have had it from launch day and being in Amish country and my buddy sitting next to me with the iPhone has no 3G in fact no service and my DROID has 3 bars and 3G I LOVE THAT

iPhone = great device but poor phone and i had the 2G, 3G, and 3GS

i will be back to the iPhone if the 4G shows promise
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

Green Apple
    Thanks

What other phone out right now can do what the iPhone can?
    do you even know what you are talking about? the droid can do just about anything the iphone can. just because the iphone has "100,000" apps and the android market does not yet dont mean anything since the iphone has been out longer. stop being an apple humper

and just for the record i had the iphone and went to the droid and glad i did

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunerfreak View Post
    do you even know what you are talking about? the droid can do just about anything the iphone can. just because the iphone has "100,000" apps and the android market does not yet dont mean anything since the iphone has been out longer. stop being an apple humper

+1
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunerfreak View Post

The bold statement means you agree the iPhone is better.

Does the droid have a music player as good as the iPhone's IPT?
    Does the droid have half the apps the iPhone does?
    Does the droid have a cydia store on TOP of the app store?
    The droid has an actual keyboard, but its so ******* flimsy.

The droids advertising claims that it isnt as attractive as the iPhone, but it's fast. The 3GS is just as fast.. so what does that leave the droid with? Being ugly.

The droid is comparable to a BlackBerry. Only I'd take the BBTour over the droid any day.

Can you sync the droid to iTunes? I'm not sure, but I highly doubt it.

The droid can't do half, a quarter, probably even less than that, of what the iPhone can.

I'm sorry to hear you switched.

I would stop being an apple humper, but they release the best products. You get what you pay for. Apple > Windows. Always, forever.

Have fun with your droid..

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Rooting has been going on for a while even on android 2.0
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

I take it you're referring to Jobs' quote from the original iPhone keynote? ("The iPhone is 5 years ahead of other smartphones")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    I take it you're referring to Jobs' quote from the original iPhone keynote? ("The iPhone is 5 years ahead of other smartphones")
    The iPhone was released in June 2007. That's 2 years..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Does the droid have half the apps the iPhone does?
    more apps!= better

Half of which are sound makers and poorly made games.

Thanks

I have yet to hear about any cool stuff on the Droid like we have.. games running at practically N64 or PSone power? It might be "fast" but I doubt it has the same gpu-like capabilities.

What exactly does rooting a Droid let you do anyway? Do they have access to mod Android by default, or would something like SBSettings be a hack?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast