Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modder Gains Root Access to the Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Is this you by chance?

In no way do you "get what you pay for" with Apple. You pay a premium for a hyped product. Take any Mac, take 1/3 of the price, and you could build a computer that will have more than double the performance. You are completely talking out of your ***.

You're just ******* hilarious aren't you? If you dont like apple or iDevices, get the **** off this website..

Quote Originally Posted by Tunerfreak View Post
    it does widgets (cant have that on the iphone unless you jailbreak), the OS is open source, i can change my background to something other than black, screen is 10x better, dont need to jailbreak to do just about everything, how about the ability to change my battery if it dies huh? cant do that without taking the iphone apart and sacrificing a chicken in the process
    I am not going to take sides here because I am biased. Haven't used a Droid. But check out the bold statement. I don't understand why people keep bringing this up. What is the difference if you can do it straight out of the box or if you jailbreak (which btw takes all of one to two minutes now) the device? The point I am making is there is a jailbreak. iPhones can have widgets and lots more. That is what this site is based on. You would have a point if we were not able to do this but we can. Backgrounds? iPhone users can do that too via jailbreak. So what if it takes me two minutes to jailbreak. That is probably the amount of time it took you to use settings to set up a Droid. So f'ing what?
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

And you might be able to get a cheaper comp with better "performance" but have fun dealing with viruses out the ***. I'm a film major, I make movies. There's no need for me to have anything other than a mac. You signed up to a MODMYI account, hmmmmmm I wonder what the I stands for

Rota
    iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 3.1 Jailbroken
    Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Lets be a hypocrite - thats always fun.

and actually, this is me, you ******* *****

id LOVE to see what your ****** *** looks like
    Last edited by brianlg; 12-10-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This is great news for all!!! Competition always rules, and the best one will be found.

My $.02: I do not care for being stuck with proprietary hardware or software. As an IT pro myself, I think that Apple and AT&T are stupid in their past business approach with the iPhone and its service. This same thing happened to SLOW @SS 2 back in the day. And now we have better OS's because of it! Again, all of this competition will only create better products and service for all. I will definitely check out the Droid and Verizon at the end of my iPhone/AT&T contract and recommend everyone that has an iPhone to do the same.

Banned
    Thanks

is this a droid forum?

Quote Originally Posted by aekhamsouk View Post
    is this a droid forum?
    It seems to be. More people seem to be on the droids nuts than the iPhone. Goodthing I don't post here much- these members are ignorant.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    I am not going to take sides here because I am biased. Haven't used a Droid. But check out the bold statement. I don't understand why people keep bringing this up. What is the difference if you can do it straight out of the box or if you jailbreak (which btw takes all of one to two minutes now) the device? The point I am making is there is a jailbreak. iPhones can have widgets and lots more. That is what this site is based on. You would have a point if we were not able to do this but we can. Backgrounds? iPhone users can do that too via jailbreak. So what if it takes me two minutes to jailbreak. That is probably the amount of time it took you to use settings to set up a Droid. So f'ing what?
    Well said thank you sir!

Both phones are good and the majority of you are idiots is what I'm getting from this thread.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

derekthered (12-11-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I am not going to take sides here because I am biased. Haven't used a Droid. But check out the bold statement. I don't understand why people keep bringing this up. What is the difference if you can do it straight out of the box or if you jailbreak (which btw takes all of one to two minutes now) the device?
    The reason people bring this argument up is that these widgets were designed by the people who wrote the OS. There is a much lower chance of negative impacts on performance of the device as a whole, as well as being able to bring a device in for repair/replacement and not have to restore to a non-jailbroken FW beforehand.

With some of the horror stories that I've read of people attempting to get service on a jailbroken device, having piece of mind is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by brianlg View Post
    And you might be able to get a cheaper comp with better "performance" but have fun dealing with viruses out the ***.

(insert random pics of emo "artist")

id LOVE to see what your ****** *** looks like
    You might want to try using a PC before spouting off the comments about viruses. Considering I've yet to have a virus on any of my Vista and 7 machines. Maybe you should spend a little less time surfing pr0n and a little more time on your screenplays. Anyone with a few brain cells to rub together can completely avoid viruses on their computer.

Aside that, I just felt this to be the fitting time to inject some humor into an otherwise hostile thread. I find it fitting with the whole "0MGAR T3H VIRU53S H4VE ***X0R3D MAH H4RD DR1VEZ!!!"

BTW: My $1200 rig will walk all over any Mac you own.

<3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TooSlo For This Useful Post:

derekthered (12-11-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    The reason people bring this argument up is that these widgets were designed by the people who wrote the OS. There is a much lower chance of negative impacts on performance of the device as a whole, as well as being able to bring a device in for repair/replacement and not have to restore to a non-jailbroken FW beforehand.

With some of the horror stories that I've read of people attempting to get service on a jailbroken device, having piece of mind is fantastic.

You might want to try using a PC before spouting off the comments about viruses. Considering I've yet to have a virus on any of my Vista and 7 machines. Maybe you should spend a little less time surfing pr0n and a little more time on your screenplays. Anyone with a few brain cells to rub together can completely avoid viruses on their computer.

Aside that, I just felt this to be the fitting time to inject some humor into an otherwise hostile thread. I find it fitting with the whole "0MGAR T3H VIRU53S H4VE ***X0R3D MAH H4RD DR1VEZ!!!"

BTW: My $1200 rig will walk all over any Mac you own.

<3
    That is a funny comic there lol. Although i have a Mac and love it ^^ i also own a $800 rig that walks all over it. And i'm still adding stuff to it! I'm not biased one bit! I've got the best of both worlds

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

Im done arguing. Take the two side by side and compare how much you can do with each and come to your own conclusion.
    while i think this guy is being a little closed minded about other devices, he made me think of something i wish would happen......i wish these sites like gizmodo, engadget, or phonedog would do the end all be all comparison of some of the big phones out there......and that would be a rooted whatever (pre, droid, hero) against a jailbroken iphone 3gs......when you get down to that level then i kind of agree that their isn't a device that can touch the iphone in terms of both capability and smoothness of the UI.

there is literally only one thing i can think of that i want on my iphone that other phones have, and that is the way that android handles notifications.

I am not going to take sides here because I am biased. Haven't used a Droid. But check out the bold statement. I don't understand why people keep bringing this up.
    because only a small majority of people with iphones actually jailbreak them. if you do then yes it dont matter but people dont compare phones based on weather they can do all that stuff after a phone has been exploited. yes it dont take long at all but there are a lot of people that are complete idiots when it comes to this stuff

And you might be able to get a cheaper comp with better "performance" but have fun dealing with viruses out the ***. I'm a film major, I make movies. There's no need for me to have anything other than a mac. You signed up to a MODMYI account, hmmmmmm I wonder what the I stands for
    you are the definition of a apple fan boy thinking that because you have a mac means you you dont get viruses. read up my friend there are plenty of articles on how apple could be more vulnerable than windows. the only reason you dont see that many viruses is because apples market share is so small compared to PC's. and now that apple is starting to catch up hackers have taken notice

It seems to be. More people seem to be on the droids nuts than the iPhone. Goodthing I don't post here much- these members are ignorant.
    you are the ignorant one sorry to say, you are the one saying apple is the end all be all when you clearly dont know what you are talking about

Droid sucks! lol, when u slide it up it feels like ur gonna break the phone.. the only thing it has is a good camera w/flash, which apple will out do on the next iphone.. I have a 3GS wit t-mobile.. i sacrificed the 3g data network for better phone service.. and ATT want $750 deposit cuz they are crazy and they know they are goin out of business once their contract is over with Apple..
    If I was any help, please hit the thanks button...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crzyital7404 View Post
    ...and ATT want $750 deposit cuz they are crazy and they know they are goin out of business once their contract is over with Apple..
    You honestly think that's the reason you have a deposit?

I would hope you realize that after a specified time under contract, you can request the deposit be returned, right?

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    You honestly think that's the reason you have a deposit?

I would hope you realize that after a specified time under contract, you can request the deposit be returned, right?
    It was a joke, I have bad credit lol.. but verizon only wants $400 so why would I pay more for worse service.. and i'm happy with t-mobile anyway and I know I would get it back..
    If I was any help, please hit the thanks button...

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

You people are taking this too far. MOD MY I ...moar modding less arguing kthx

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I had a chance to use a Droid for a few days and I have to say I wasn't impressed. I am glad that they have rooted it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
    loved my iPhone but like my DROID and LOVE my NO DROPPED calls since i have had it from launch day and being in Amish country and my buddy sitting next to me with the iPhone has no 3G in fact no service and my DROID has 3 bars and 3G I LOVE THAT

iPhone = great device but poor phone and i had the 2G, 3G, and 3GS

i will be back to the iPhone if the 4G shows promise
    dropped calls are only in USA, i havent experienced a single dropped call in Europe

Thanks

so if apple doesnt allow root access unless you jailbreak, then how can verizon say that "everything idont, droid does" false advertising. i would like to see what can be done with the droid in the right hands but im not getting one, im waiting until my contract is up next year and get the 4th gen iphone which in doubt should be much better than anything else on the market by then!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ecd5000 View Post
    so if apple doesnt allow root access unless you jailbreak, then how can verizon say that "everything idont, droid does" false advertising. i would like to see what can be done with the droid in the right hands but im not getting one, im waiting until my contract is up next year and get the 4th gen iphone which in doubt should be much better than anything else on the market by then!
    Keep in mind that the Droid is not the first Android powered device. There have been several other models running the OS as well. I can list out a couple resources that are good for checking out progress in Android development.

xda-developers - Powered by vBulletin
    Android @ MoDaCo

These are a couple sites that have quite a bit of information on Android powered devices currently.

I think what people may be assuming about Android powered devices when they hear "open source" is that applications such as widgets are created by different companies. While unbranded HTC phones had a set group of widgets, those same ones may not have been available in a US market phone because the provider wanted to sell the phone with a different set of widgets.

While you can quickly and easily install user modified widgets in .apk files, some are easier set up by including them in a "cooked" ROM so they are installed immediately.

Imagine being able to install a non-Apple firmware. Even more advanced than "pwning" a .ipsw file, these custom ROMs allow any number of changes to be made. From a completely different dialer or implementation of the integrated Facebook client, these changes can be made on the level of the ROM itself before you load it on the phone.

How nice would it be to create a custom FW for your iphone, throw it on a storage directory, then reboot the phone into a custom boot loader? From there you could decide if you just wanted to install the FW, or if you wanted to do a full factory wipe and reinstall? How would you like the freedom to install 3.0 or 3.0.1 again if you missed getting your hashes, or were never able to in the first place?

There is something to be said about being able to not worry about signed FW from Apple, or their telling you exactly what you can and can't build on your phone. The jailbreak community has some fantastic minds, but imagine what more they could do with the type of access that the Android devs have on those phones.

If anyone on these forums can't see a major benefit in such a thing, I don't know how to get them to believe anything about the possibilities of phones which are easily modified.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast