+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: USTREAM Broadcaster: Live Video Broadcasting Comes to the iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
No, there isn't a family guy USTREAM channel, I just couldn't resist. Earlier this month , we had discussed the new Video Broadcasting iPhone app called 'Knocking' that brought live
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default USTREAM Broadcaster: Live Video Broadcasting Comes to the iPhone

No, there isn't a family guy USTREAM channel, I just couldn't resist.

Earlier this month
    , we had discussed the new Video Broadcasting iPhone app called 'Knocking' that brought live streaming to the iPhone. Despite being one of the first to enter the AppStore with streaming video, it was only able to do iPhone to iPhone broadcasting. Unfortunately we learned that it was somewhat of a disappointment, considering it hardly ever worked right.

If you've had a Jailbroken iPhone for awhile now, you may recall the USTREAM apps that had been available via Cydia. These apps were eventually pulled from Cydia and we had seen no activity since. Today, USTREAM has released an official App, available now in the AppStore, that enables live broadcasting from you iPhone to the USTREAM's web service.

The iPhone app gives you the option to both stream live as well as share video as a recording. The app works via both 3G and Wi-Fi, and it even works on both the iPhone 3G and 3GS. It's a little laggy on the 3G, which is expected, but it works flawlessly. (Well almost, the audio is a little bit delayed, again this is on the 3G so it might be better on a 3GS.) You also have the ability to tweet your videos, share on facebook, and participate in live chats for your broadcast. USTREAM has said to be working on adding more social features to the application soon.

Ustream, established March 2007, is a website which consists of network of diverse channels providing a platform for lifecasting and live video streaming of events online.[3] The website has over 2,000,000 registered users who generate 1,500,000+ hours of live streamed content per month with over ten million unique hits per month. It received $11.1 million in Series A funding for new product development from DCM and investors Labrador Ventures and Band of Angels.
    USTREAM these days, is more known for its live broadcasts of shows like Diggnation and the Brian Bushwood Show. More and more celebrities are using USTREAM now as well, such as Bands, Artists, Actors, MTV Icons, and so on, drawing anywhere from 2,000-80,000+ viewers at one time. Everything is interactive and the broadcasters usually watch the chat room fill with questions and try to answer them. Not only do all of these networks seem to flock to USTREAM these days, but what made USTREAM so popular in the first place was "during the 2008 United States presidential election, the website was used by nearly all the main candidates to help their campaign, by allowing a larger amount of voters to ask political questions." Now YOU can start your own broadcast from your iPhone. If only it had a front facing camera

All of this seems to coincide with the release of Knocking, and how it somehow removed the rule of "no live streaming" from Apple's List of Commandments. Perhaps this means we will see more apps coming out that support such streaming features. Will they finally loosen those ropes? We'll see, maybe Sling will come back.

USTREAM Live Broadcaster requires an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS running OS 3.1 or later and is available as a free download from the App Store.

Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-09-2009 at 02:17 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

ltjbigshot (12-10-2009), triniflavaforya (12-10-2009)

Thanks

im gonna check this out. looks good
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Would be nicer if the search worked on the viewing app. Its not possible for me to find any live stream thats not "featured"

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a nice app, but the Knocking App atleast allows iphone to iphone video conferencing, only 1 way but still works. This appears to only provide a link on the web to be streamed.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks

Crazy how they'll allow a video STREAMING app for the 3G in the App Store, but won't turn on video RECORDING for the 3G.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    It's a nice app, but the Knocking App atleast allows iphone to iphone video conferencing, only 1 way but still works. This appears to only provide a link on the web to be streamed.
    Not everyone has an iPhone. Streaming to the web is much more convenient and provides a wider network to access your stream.

As I just learned, USTREAM Viewer does NOT let you view someones iPhone broadcast
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-09-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    Using USTREAM Viewer, you can do what Knocking is doing except with multiple people, and people without iPhones, or iPhone users without Knocking, along with chat.

And it doesn't seem to have the connection bugs that Knocking has.
    No offence but the above statement is incorrect, the only way someone can view your live stream using the USTREAM Viewer app is if the person broadcasting has sent an email to USTREAM requesting to have their channel added to the featured section and then gets approved and added, which let's face it, defeats the object if you have to wait that long.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    Not everyone has an iPhone. Streaming to the web is much more convenient and provides a wider network to access your stream.

Using USTREAM Viewer, you can do what Knocking is doing except with multiple people, and people without iPhones, or iPhone users without Knocking, along with chat.

And it doesn't seem to have the connection bugs that Knocking has.
    I agree Knocking is not fully functional 100% of the time. When you say that people can do iphone to iphone web conferencing please share because I would love to use a better alternative.

I did download the app and the only way I can an iphone user to see the vid would be by having them log into safari. Is this correct or am I missing something?
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks

anyone tried it on the original iphone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    I did download the app and the only way I can an iphone user to see the vid would be by having them log into safari. Is this correct or am I missing something?
    You cannot view the videos in safari either as they require flash as far as I can see.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Uwaaaa...TV.....

Thanks

Yup, I lose, Totally blew that one. I never realized the USTREAM Viewer app only lets you search featured.

Sorry guys. Chalk this one up to iPhone Broadcaster to Web Only Or in some cases, droid phones (flash is just about ready for droid)

fmt
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did you all forgot about Qik?
    The version of Qik on cydia also do live streaming.
    The version on the appstore just record and upload to their site.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Qik and Bambuser are both easy to use alternatives for iphone to web stream.

Thanks

well after downloading/agreeing to legal/setting up account w/ email and password/finally being able to experiment. it is extremely limited. enables video for 3G, however you can only upload to twitter facebook and youtube.....oh yeah and ustreams servers.....useless.
    killall Terminal[]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

ifonemaniac (12-10-2009)

Thanks

Cool but i don't wanna get penalize for high bandwidth.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another app which requires 3.1... This app, along with Dragon Dictate, is making me want to finally update...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    anyone tried it on the original iphone?
    It installed and works on my 2G just as well as on my 3G (at least for recording to phone). I'd imagine it'd require wifi for live broadcasting from the 2G.

Just thought I'd mention: Broadcaster records local (and I presume live) videos as FLV... Interesting.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 12-09-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    I don't know.. seems pretty legit but could have a lot of problems at the same time.

Hit "Thanks" if I helped

Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 744 Posts

personally...goto qik.com and sign up and download qik from cydia. way better, nicer interface, reliable. don't d*ck around with the appstore crap lol
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=9577588
    Precious Metals: Gold & Platinum Now Available on Cydia & Rock! Download now!
    PM me for additional details or look on page 346 post #5185

Precious Metal Glyph Icon PSDs (Click to Download)