+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Exec Suggests Penalties for High-Bandwidth Users

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
maybe it's just me, but I linked to the article and don't see any mention of "Penalties" as this title and article suggests. Infact, even CNET posted a correction saying
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

maybe it's just me, but I linked to the article and don't see any mention of "Penalties" as this title and article suggests. Infact, even CNET posted a correction saying "Correction made December 9 at 7:51 p.m. PDT: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that AT&T had announced a tiered pricing plan. The company is considering incentives to curb heavy wireless data usage."

So this article is incorrectly stating ATT is making plans to charge people more as well. The REAL article has only stated that they want to offer incentives to reduce bandwidth, no caps, no extra charges...just some tools to monitor your bandwidth. This whole thread is fail.
    Really?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    maybe it's just me, but I linked to the article and don't see any mention of "Penalties" as this title and article suggests. Infact, even CNET posted a correction saying "Correction made December 9 at 7:51 p.m. PDT: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that AT&T had announced a tiered pricing plan. The company is considering incentives to curb heavy wireless data usage."

So this article is incorrectly stating ATT is making plans to charge people more as well. The REAL article has only stated that they want to offer incentives to reduce bandwidth, no caps, no extra charges...just some tools to monitor your bandwidth. This whole thread is fail.
    The article does not state that it will start doing it or has already done so. It only states the possibility of penalties and then goes on to elaborate more about it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i really hope they do this and i can opt out of my contract. i've been wanting to for a while. and as for the no 3g good luck with edge argument. what do you think im on now as i live in the almost 90% of america that doesnt have 3g with at&t anyway so i wont be affected by that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnywhi7e View Post
    And that's why I'm saying BYE BYE to AT&T this Friday and going with good ol' T-Mo. I'm paying $120 a month for the service but with T-Mo I'll be paying about $55 so AT&T go and F YOURSELF

Don't worry folks, sooner than later AT&T will find itself in a hole after people start to leave them. And once again, they will find themselves in a hole that they already been in before.
    Bravo! Agreed!

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

Thing is at&t has made a rediculous amount of money off of us iPhone users. There was a study that like 60% of new iPhone contracts were NEW to at&t. Meaning at&t is getting alot of 2 year service agreements from the iPhone. The fact they want to charge more for data is rediculous, they want a phone that brings in loads of new business then deal with the consequences....The occasional bandwidth hog

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weazle23 View Post
    what do you think im on now as i live in the almost 90% of america that doesnt have 3g with at&t anyway so i wont be affected by that.
    You have your facts wrong. 90% of America's population IS covered by 3G.

You would be in the 10% which lives in the underdeveloped part of America apparently.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsehlms View Post

You would be in the 10% which lives in the underdeveloped part of America apparently.
    Care to cite your source for that?

Considering I don't have 3G coverage at my house, which is about 1 mile away from the main Microsoft Redmond campus, I'm highly suspect that I live in an "underdeveloped" part of the US.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

How much is reasonable? Thats such BS lol. Why even call it unlimited?
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So let's review. I want an Iphone - first I have to signup for a 2 year contract (which I suppose is somewhat fair since the phone is being subsidized). Then, pick a plan for phone minutes. Let's see - the smallest plan is 450 mins (I literally only use about 60 mins a month - I have 2800 rollover mins), then I am required to pay $30 for a data plan (even though I live in an area where that is only Edge - it was only $20 on the orig phone), then $20 for unlimited texts (why isn't this covered under the data plan? Cause they can). I don't come anywhere close to 5G a month, but I cannot tether and use the data I am paying for. And if they do allow tethering eventually, then it will prob be another $30. Nights and weekends? They start at 9PM unless I want to pay extra. Who is on the phone past 9?? I am not saying all of these 'features' are unique to ATT, but the system is designed to squeeze every last dollar out of you. Its really ridiculous....

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiltok View Post
    So let's review. I want an Iphone - first I have to signup for a 2 year contract (which I suppose is somewhat fair since the phone is being subsidized). Then, pick a plan for phone minutes. Let's see - the smallest plan is 450 mins (I literally only use about 60 mins a month - I have 2800 rollover mins), then I am required to pay $30 for a data plan (even though I live in an area where that is only Edge - it was only $20 on the orig phone), then $20 for unlimited texts (why isn't this covered under the data plan? Cause they can). I don't come anywhere close to 5G a month, but I cannot tether and use the data I am paying for. And if they do allow tethering eventually, then it will prob be another $30. Nights and weekends? They start at 9PM unless I want to pay extra. Who is on the phone past 9?? I am not saying all of these 'features' are unique to ATT, but the system is designed to squeeze every last dollar out of you. Its really ridiculous....
    Welcome to world of cell phone companies. No matter what you want there will always be restriction, penalties, and you bending over for your cellular service.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsehlms View Post

maybe with verizon 90% of america is covered by 3g but not with at&t. there 3g coverage is exactly what it shows on the verizon ads. few and extremely far between.

Thanks

straight from the at&t websight. the blue is there 3g coverage. so if all the rest is underdeveloped then i guess i do live there lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT&T Exec Suggests Penalties for High-Bandwidth Users-export.png  
    Last edited by weazle23; 12-10-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks

Great just great.. I know its been said before. We pay for an "unlimited data plan" If they want to honor that why not make the service better. Dont punish us for using a phone that's on your (AT&T) network. If I wasnt contracted to AT&T I would take my jb iPhone and jump ship with the rest of the people.

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

In some areas where I live we are still on edge?! If they plan on jacking up the price, they need to up grade there services first!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T Digging the Hole They Will Fall Into
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnywhi7e View Post
    And that's why I'm saying BYE BYE to AT&T this Friday and going with good ol' T-Mo. I'm paying $120 a month for the service but with T-Mo I'll be paying about $55 so AT&T go and F YOURSELF

Don't worry folks, sooner than later AT&T will find itself in a hole after people start to leave them. And once again, they will find themselves in a hole that they already been in before.
    My sentiments exactly! I guess "unlimited data" must mean something else to the rapists at AT&T!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its all a bluff

Green Apple
    Thanks

This should be interesting to see how this in enforced. Legally they can't force a user under contract to a new plan with out giving them an option to leave the contract. If they do force contract subscribers to this plan since we are all on a "unlimited" plan they would have massive class action suits against them. This should be fun to watch how it all plays out. Get your popcorn and Junior mints and let the show begin!

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ I prefer Raisinettes, but I'm with ya!!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Yes lets all move to T-Mobile to enjoy less signal strength and no 3G. Have fun on EDGE!

There is no real cap on our 3G data. They say 4 or 5GB which is plenty but i've never gotten that high to even be worried. As far as T-Mobile you can keep that 4th rate network lol. You can say all you want about your $6 EDGE speed but i've been there and done that. It's too slow and the buzzing noise coming from my radio in the car and in the house or any speakers around me becomes annoying. Sending an email almost takes 1 or 2 mins depending the size of the attachment...pfft get real. It may be good for you but a lot of us have a need for real speed.

Oh and lets not forget tethering which i enjoy soooo much! ^^ Comes in so handy while i'm at school.
    You don't have to be a douche about it, I wasn't putting AT&T down, I was saying that I enjoy my EDGE for $5.99 a month because I wouldn't ever use or need 3G...but I guess you wanted to get across...what? That I should enjoy my EDGE speed? Lol well thanks, you certainly made a big deal out of a simple comment...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Yes lets all move to T-Mobile to enjoy less signal strength and no 3G. Have fun on EDGE!