Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Exec Suggests Penalties for High-Bandwidth Users

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    I love how they are using resources to bring "data usage stats" to customers but doing nothing about their 3G network load ability.

True they have the fastest 3G network... but everyone else's can handle a larger load.

Fix the problem AT&T and stock bending us over! You already get $30 per person for 3G access! Thats $60 added to my bill for 2 iPhones! That's more than some people pay for their entire cell bill!

Beef up your data network or let the iPhone go to other networks! Sheesh... they want exclusivity but don't want to be responsible for the added data usage that comes with the iPhone.

tim
    Do you have statistics showing that other networks are able to handle the data loads better? It is fact hat iphone users are the most data hungry users on the market almost worldwide. Show some numbers that ATTs competitors (lets say Verizon since it is widely viewed as number one) are able to do any better with their data loads. My bet is the bandwidth demand on all other networks is trumped by ATT.

Quote Originally Posted by dunlapface View Post
    So, let me get this straight. AT&T is the worst carrier around, and instead of improving their service and putting up more towers, they are charging people more for an unlimited data plan. That is such BS, and if they do that I am not hesitating to go to Verizon where the Droid is voted a better phone now anyways.
    This statement is interesting, especially because Verizon puts you in the same boat. "Unlimited" isn;t truly unlimited with Verizon either..
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-09-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Uh... no. Droid is NOT better than the iPhone, for the record. Has a wonderful screen and a few other niceties but on the performance side it lacks a bit, even compared to other "android" phones. Read the reviews by folks actually using them. I've had one for 3 weeks to compare to. It is a nice phone but not quite the "iPhone killer" just yet.

AND a comparable (apples to Apples) service plan from Verizon is a tad more than ATT. Check your facts.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope somebody from ATT read this thread, so they can figure it out that if they still greedy like they are, instead to earn more money they are going to lose a lot of clients.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

*****! in a month my data usage is average from 60 MB to 75 MB. This is only from email, facebook, etc. I don't even use my iphone for tethering. If the cap is only 5 MB/month, then I'm screwed.

I meant 5GB, you're safe. I've been tethering for a while now, visiting media intense sites and I've peaked at around 2 GB of data useage. Haven't been penalized or warned or otherwise. Of course, I also wouldn't think of using my iPhone to d/l torrents or extended online gaming either. Anyways...
    Last edited by metaserph; 12-09-2009 at 09:34 PM.

If they do this they will be put out of business by all the lawsuits.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

They will be out of business but by their clients. Telling the truth, we all know that some of us just went to a contract with ATT because we want the iPhone and some of us can't pay $400 or $500 for an iphone without contract, we got now the iPhone already, all we got to do now is cancel the contract, unlock our iPhones and welcome T-mobile. T-mobile are going to be the one that's going to be earning that money that ATT want.
    Last edited by javiert30; 12-09-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

... If it was only that simple...

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    ... If it was only that simple...
    The sad thing is that AT&T had no problem signing up all these iphone users knowing full well that they will not be able to handle them in the future. Hell they are still signing them up. If I walk up to a counter tomorrow and ask for another iphone. I doubt very much the salesperson is going to say. Good choice but you should know our president of our company just wants you to know are servers may not be able to handle your internet use. And by the way that unlimited data plan is just a marketing ploy to get your business. We really don't mean unlimited. Were not sure what he means at this point. He will decide in the future and if you don't like it you can just pay a hefty early termination fee(per phone) and go else where. Sure we will still take the 30 a month for now. The details will come in the future. Now how many iphones can I sign you up for. Two, that's great. Oh and by the way we will take another 30 for the unlimited text messaging that really doesn't take up any bandwidth but as long as we have you bent over we thought we would stick it to you some more. Nice doing business with you. Have a nice day.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

If AT&T had a better infrastructure, and focused less on being 'fast' and more on being reliable and hardy, then they wouldn't have these problems. It also doesn't help that the iPhone is exclusive to AT&T, therefore all the millions of people have have them are all hogging data. Another plus for Apple to end this ridiculous exclusivity contract and open up to other carriers in the U.S. People would have such a better experience with the iPhone no matter what network if it wasn't so clogged up.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Find ANY other network that offer "unlimited" data they way you "think" unlimited data should be. Start with Verizon, check their rates AND bandwidth useage. Check their texting offering too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    I meant 5GB, you're safe.
    Now I feel better. Thank you, I was thinking 5 MB cap was ridiculous, but 5 GB sounds good enough for average iPhone users like myself. For anything else I can use my computer at work or at home.

Thanks

oh my i pump about 6+GB of 3G data mostly every month..yup now you know what i do at work..but if they start to charge im ditching AT&Terrible time for a HTC android i like the 3G here in my area but if they keep getting money hungry its time to stop feeding them my money
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

To those of you saying that the people that download BitTorrent and are streaming music and video on the 3G Network are "ruining" it for everyone else I tell you this: Get over it.

I pay 30 dollars a month, on top of my service plan, on top of the ridiculous 15 extra bucks for unlimited texting, and I pay those 30 bucks to have UNLIMITED DATA. Not "Some Data" or "An Adequate Amount of Data" but UNLIMITED DATA. If AT&T wasn't able to support a data-intensive handset such as the iPhone and wasn't ready to provide that service then they shouldn't have SOLD THE PHONE TO BEGIN WITH! So yeah, I don't give a flying **** about how much data I'm "consuming"... It is my right, and anyone's right to use this data as long as they are paying for it.

AT&T needs to start using some of the CRAZY MONEY THEY'VE MADE selling the world's most popular phone, invest it on their INFRASTRUCTURE and leave us paying customers ALONE.
    Last edited by KabutoCub; 12-10-2009 at 01:05 AM.

All carrier's have a cap on their "unlimited" data. Yet when at&t does it they are the bad guys.
    And I'm sure that those of you pulling 5GB + and complaining about that not being enough, are also complaining on other threads about the horrible battery life. Its a iPHONE not iCOMPUTER. Its not intended to be downloading torrents, but casually surfing the web. I welcome it. And as for the complaints of the $30 dollar price tag.. name a SMARTPHONE that has "unlimited" data for a lot less. It may be out there but I have never had it. Blackberry = $30 iPhone = $30 Android = $25

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I agree to this statement. The problem is that we signed contracts that stated otherwise. In my opinion we should be given the chance to resign the "new" contract stating changed or be given the right to terminate the contract without a penalty fee. That said, I am sure the data usage numbers will be very reasonable, something in the 3-5GB per month range. If people are using more than that, they are probably doing things they technically shouldn't be (like tethering) on their phones.
    I agree - I always thought AT&T were making a rod for their own back by saying 'unlimited' data. Here in the UK they can get away with saying 'unlimited' when it clearly is not.
    If they change your T&C you should have the right to cancel. Has anyone checked the fine print to make sure there is no ' Fair usage' or 'not to the detriment of other users' clause?
    UK data plans usually specifically exclude things like VOIP, tethering and streaming data and typically have a cap of 1Gb or less.
    My plan costs me about $33/month - but that does include tethering/streaming/3Gb Data and more minutes/texts/MMS than I can use in a month.
    Using over a couple of Gb without tethering - which I believe is specifically prohibited by AT&T is quite difficult.
    I wonder how many of the people complaining actually get anywhere near the rumoured 5Gb cap? And of those that do, how many don't tether?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

While I do tether, I do so almost exclusively for school work (university). I'm a truck driver and manage roughly 4-5GB usage per month, but mostly due to iHeartRadio which I listen to 4-5 hrs per day. So it is feasible to use more than 5GB of data with legitimate iPhone apps.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

So glad I pay only $5.99 a month for my data service I could care less if I don't get to use 3G, the Edge with T-Mobile works really good. Navigon keeps up to speed as I drive around, so that's helpful. Too bad AT&T has to put a cap on their "unlimited" data plan which costs an arm and a leg. Come hop on the T-Mobile bus, there's plenty of room!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marko911 View Post
    WTF ........... Seriously this ******** ........ i miss T-Mobile i really do . T-mobile i'am comign back to you and i'am bringing my iPhone.
    Yes lets all move to T-Mobile to enjoy less signal strength and no 3G. Have fun on EDGE!

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    So glad I pay only $5.99 a month for my data service I could care less if I don't get to use 3G, the Edge with T-Mobile works really good. Navigon keeps up to speed as I drive around, so that's helpful. Too bad AT&T has to put a cap on their "unlimited" data plan which costs an arm and a leg. Come hop on the T-Mobile bus, there's plenty of room!!
    There is no real cap on our 3G data. They say 4 or 5GB which is plenty but i've never gotten that high to even be worried. As far as T-Mobile you can keep that 4th rate network lol. You can say all you want about your $6 EDGE speed but i've been there and done that. It's too slow and the buzzing noise coming from my radio in the car and in the house or any speakers around me becomes annoying. Sending an email almost takes 1 or 2 mins depending the size of the attachment...pfft get real. It may be good for you but a lot of us have a need for real speed.

Oh and lets not forget tethering which i enjoy soooo much! ^^ Comes in so handy while i'm at school.

Quote Originally Posted by tknapp2 View Post
    All carrier's have a cap on their "unlimited" data. Yet when at&t does it they are the bad guys.
    And I'm sure that those of you pulling 5GB + and complaining about that not being enough, are also complaining on other threads about the horrible battery life. Its a iPHONE not iCOMPUTER. Its not intended to be downloading torrents, but casually surfing the web. I welcome it. And as for the complaints of the $30 dollar price tag.. name a SMARTPHONE that has "unlimited" data for a lot less. It may be out there but I have never had it. Blackberry = $30 iPhone = $30 Android = $25
    Very very true! all service providers do have a cap. And yes a lot of ppl complain but yet they're using their iPhone to it's fullest extent! They use that phone more than prob any other phone and complain battery life is bad. Which IMO it's not....although i cheat because i keep my phone charged to my laptop at work
    Last edited by hollow0; 12-10-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blah blah. For the record, Blackberry plans for T-Mo are $40 per month. Internet Connect ONLY with 200MB of cap are $30 per month AND their "unlimited" data plans with 5GB cap are $50 per month. You'd figure Tmo users know their rates. Look it up!

Unsupported Browser

Anyways...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast