+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Exec Suggests Penalties for High-Bandwidth Users

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
AT&T is whacked. We already have to pay the increased price for 3g from $20 to $30. now they want to charge more for their "unlimited" data plan? Man, a
    Green Apple
    Thanks

AT&T is whacked. We already have to pay the increased price for 3g from $20 to $30. now they want to charge more for their "unlimited" data plan? Man, a winmo phone can get "unlimited" plan for $10 with family data plan. So we already paying $20 extra just to have the same service. Its not right to make us pay even more.

Thanks

More reason to hate AT&T. If they charge me penalties, they will get sued.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i dont understand, other companies are just the same, its a cellphone network, its not meant to do things that you do at home with internet hooked up to a computer. when someone downloads gigs of data each month off a phone, it completely clogs up the system and slows **** down. att just happened to say something about it since they have the iphone, and a lot of this issue comes from the iphone, but every cellphone company is just as guilty.

but as for the data package, its the same cost with all companies. and its REQUIRED by all of them too, $30 data package for verizon Blackberries, and $30 data package on sprints palm or whatever it is. to use a smart phone the data packages are $30 instead of the basic $10 dollar packages cause these phones just use that much more internet, they dont hook up to the patheic media mall or crap that each cell company has, they can stream full webpages and dl, so yeah...internets more.

you people are funny, everyone complains about att, then other places complain about verizon, tmobile etc, no matter where you go, its going to be the same for this data package. a cellphone with internet, texting, unlimited calling and such is a luxury, not a necessity, you want cheap phone service go back to a landline.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Megum07 For This Useful Post:

politicalslug (12-09-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

My beef isn't so much with limiting bandwidth, however, I do take issue with penalizing someone who pays for an "unlimited" data plan for unreasonable data usage. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you offer and market an "unlimited" data plan, there will be users who will take that to mean there are no limits on their usage, and rightfully so.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I never had a dropped call until I got my iPhone (was on AT&T prior to my iPhone too). I feel like there was a survey that said half of all smart phone cell data was from the iPhone and AT&T has 2x more smart phones than Verizon... Thanks %50 (iPhone) plus more than the rest (rest). A lot of data.

I'm part of the reason AT&T's network sucks because the iPhone's internet is faster then my home internet, my school doesn't give us Wi-Fi and the house me and my friends hang at (go big HDTV) is still at 768 kb/s. I never use WiFi. Also, the iPhone is AT&T's only phone that requires data, no other phone does. All smart phones on AT&T require you to purchase data, but you can drop it immediately. Most other carriers require the data to stay with your phone all 24 months.

Lastly, they can't change it on you during a 2-year contract; it'd have to be illegal. They don't change your minutes if the remove the pricing tier, you still keep it. Just don't modify your plan IF they do implement this. They should do different data price tiers though like in foreign countries.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnywhi7e View Post
    Dude, STFU seriously. Go back and crawl under some rock or something. Almost everyone is pissed of at AT&T. There is a reason why AT&T is the worst rated company right now. I have about 20-30 dropped calls daily. Is this garbage worth $120 a month ? Is data plan worth $30 ??? worth my ***.

I just got 12mbit with Comcast for 30 bucks a month. Laughable.

And FYI. I won't be needing any 3G with T-Mo. Just a regular service. Could care less if I have 3G or not.

So go and do your homework junior.
    Apparently online pissing matches are your thing, they're not "almost everyone's" thing, but almost everyone means everyone to you. I don't care if 'almost everyone' is pissed off at AT&T. The service I get (3g included) is far superior to any other cell carrier in my area. I've been on AT&T for 7+ years now, had Verizon, had Sprint, and am happy with the service. When I was out in S.F. I had maybe 1 or 2 dropped calls out of 60ish in the week or so I was out there. Oh well, its a dropped call. Hit call back and continue your conversation, no big deal.

Is data worth $30/month, some say yes, some say no. I fail to understand why you're even commenting on this thread when you (and I quote) 'Could care less if I have 3G or not.' So if you could care less about 3G, why do you care about this topic. AT&T isn't going to limit bandwidth for those on EDGE. You can't possibly (ok, maybe you could, but who in their right mind would) download enough data on EDGE to justify an issue.

Take your iphone, unlock it and go play on T-mobile. You won't get 3G, but you don't care about 3g, so your data connections will be slow, but I'm sure you won't be tethering your EDGE device causing their network to slow down.

Yes AT&T has the worst rated customer service. Got it. I hate calling customer service. But that's not limited to AT&T. It's Dell, AT&T, Verizon, SBC, HP, (insert large corporation here), etc. They all suck to an extent. Verizon looks soo much better because they don't have the features AT&T does and until they do, they'll still look like cream puffs compared to AT&T.

Now back to the topic, am I happy that AT&T wants to cap bandwidth on an 'unlimited' plan, absolutely not. But I'd like to know what they constitute as a large amount. Considering I use exchange push and frequently transfer docs back and forth will I be at that limit? At this point, no one (except AT&T) knows what that limit is.

Now if they do impose a limit, you'll have a right to opt out of your current contract with no ETF if you do not like the terms as the new terms are different than the ones you agreed to. Will many people do that, probably, probably not. Only time will tell. If many people do jump ship, it'll only help those of us who use the data plans appropriately and will help all of us out. Would I like to see half of AT&Ts iphone users jump ship to another company? Of course. It just means better service for me. Verizon just wishes they could get the popularity of the iphone from their droid to fill up their network. Every person that joins is dollars in the pocket.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youngbrammer View Post
    ...Lastly, they can't change it on you during a 2-year contract; it'd have to be illegal. They don't change your minutes if the remove the pricing tier, you still keep it. Just don't modify your plan IF they do implement this. They should do different data price tiers though like in foreign countries.
    You would be incorrect in the "illegal" bit. Changes to ToS can be made by the issuing company as long as all customers currently under those ToS are notified.

At this time, the client then has the opportunity to legally end a contract, or continue service under that contract.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I never had a dropped call until I got my iPhone (was on AT&T prior to my iPhone too).
    Same here. Never had a dropped call on my WinMo phones, and only occasionally do I get dropped calls on my iphone. But the nice thing is I see those credits on the bill when the call drops.

All smart phones on AT&T require you to purchase data, but you can drop it immediately. Most other carriers require the data to stay with your phone all 24 months.
    Unfortunately, as of September of this year (I believe that's the date) data contracts cannot be canceled on smart phone contracts period.

Probably because that was a great way to buy a new phone at a discount, keep your old phone and then eBay the new one for a huge profit.

adp
    Thanks

Dude, STFU seriously. Go back and crawl under some rock or something. Almost everyone is pissed of at AT&T. There is a reason why AT&T is the worst rated company right now. I have about 20-30 dropped calls daily. Is this garbage worth $120 a month ? Is data plan worth $30 ??? worth my ***.

And FYI. I won't be needing any 3G with T-Mo. Just a regular service. Could care less if I have 3G or not.

Congrats on your switch to T-mo. I pay $50/month for unlimited everything. But I do have to correct you (and your counterpart). The T-mobile 3G frequency does NOT work with T-mobile, so you will only get EDGE - which is ok, but slow compared to AT&T 3G. Regardless, I'm paying a third of what AT&T bills cost! I'm happy with T-mo, which has good reception in metropolitan areas. Both carriers have bad coverage in some places, so there's no one that is more reliable than the other, IMO.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

You crack me up. There is no way you have 20-30 dropped calls daily. Even with a 10% drop rate (which is REALLY high) you'd have to make 200-300 calls per day on your iPhone. Clearly you're full of crap. As to your other point, if you are willing to pay the $30 than indeed it is worth it to you, since you have the option of taking the data plan off your phone (but then you won't even get edge). Comparing a hardline broadband connection (Comcast) to bandwidth on a cellular network... you're joking, right? Lastly, no one, and I mean NO ONE wants to have lousy service and bandwidth so a handful of people can saturate the cell network with torrenting. Not even you.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

I love how they are using resources to bring "data usage stats" to customers but doing nothing about their 3G network load ability.

True they have the fastest 3G network... but everyone else's can handle a larger load.

Fix the problem AT&T and stock bending us over! You already get $30 per person for 3G access! Thats $60 added to my bill for 2 iPhones! That's more than some people pay for their entire cell bill!

Beef up your data network or let the iPhone go to other networks! Sheesh... they want exclusivity but don't want to be responsible for the added data usage that comes with the iPhone.

tim

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

If it happens, I will be ready to cancel my contract no matter how much I have to pay.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

att is epically failing, they have been pushing this too far, if they have penalties for high bandwith users like me, then i will quit and switch to tmobile, hopefully with 3g acess

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatexpka View Post
    att is epically failing, they have been pushing this too far, if they have penalties for high bandwith users like me, then i will quit and switch to tmobile, hopefully with 3g acess
    Well you wont have 3G with your iPhone. Maybe you will on your new mytouch 3G. :-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ you won't have 3G on T-Mo. Their 3G network uses a different frequency than AT&T.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I don't think you will have to pay if you cancel:

“Under (AT&T’s) terms of service, there are only two situations in which we would allow you to terminate your agreement because of a change in TOS without having to pay the ETF:
    If we increase the price of the service,
    Or if we materially decrease the geographical area in which your airtime rate applies.”

AT&T Clarifies Position on ETF & Material Changes, Argues Only Two Situations Allow Terminating Contract | PhoneNews.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wiltok For This Useful Post:

javiert30 (12-09-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

In a different thread it was mentioned that the current cap for "unlimited data" is around 5G/month and then beyond that an account is "flagged" for further observation. So rather than jumping the gun, all they are saying is that those who are currently exceeding such bandwidth will be penalized. If you cancel your internet access at home in favor of tethering your iPhone for everything, the money you "save" from home service will go towards the phone rates. Of course, those with "unlimited everything" don't really have "everything" to offer. This is all subjective. Check Verizon's rates, see how they really compare.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Good to know, your comment was very helpful in case that happens. I'm going to read more careful the terms of the service.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    So AT&T are finally realising what data providers in more mature markets realised years ago.
    Most people will get a better service if they stop the very few data hogs.
    But it won't stop everyone complaining....
    I agree to this statement. The problem is that we signed contracts that stated otherwise. In my opinion we should be given the chance to resign the "new" contract stating changed or be given the right to terminate the contract without a penalty fee. That said, I am sure the data usage numbers will be very reasonable, something in the 3-5GB per month range. If people are using more than that, they are probably doing things they technically shouldn't be (like tethering) on their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    In a different thread it was mentioned that the current cap for "unlimited data" is around 5G/month and then beyond that an account is "flagged" for further observation. So rather than jumping the gun, all they are saying is that those who are currently exceeding such bandwidth will be penalized. If you cancel your internet access at home in favor of tethering your iPhone for everything, the money you "save" from home service will go towards the phone rates. Of course, those with "unlimited everything" don't really have "everything" to offer. This is all subjective. Check Verizon's rates, see how they really compare.
    +1

Unfortunately the average person who frequents sites like this doesn't think things through. They hear "ATT is taking something from you" and all they are able to do is post whiney comments on the thread.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-09-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

So, let me get this straight. AT&T is the worst carrier around, and instead of improving their service and putting up more towers, they are charging people more for an unlimited data plan. That is such BS, and if they do that I am not hesitating to go to Verizon where the Droid is voted a better phone now anyways.