+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Look Mom, No Hands! Dragon Dictation's Text-to-Speech App Rolls Out

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Jake1 Not available in the UK iTunes store, anyone got a clue when it's arriving this side of the pond? What if you open a temporary US
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jake1 View Post
    Not available in the UK iTunes store, anyone got a clue when it's arriving this side of the pond?
    What if you open a temporary US itunes account?

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ I'm not so sure the servers are prepared for Limey accents.... (Ok, I'll apologize to the British now... I just couldn't resist :-D)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

It's kinda cool. I wish it would integrated into messaging and email instead of copy and paste.

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

Its not too bad, alot of reports as people said about it sending your contacts to their server. Although their saying they dont store the actual contact info just the names to make their speech recognition of names more accurate. Sounds like big brother to me, why would they need contact names for speech recognition?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iMagnifique View Post
    What if you open a temporary US itunes account?
    Doesn't everyone already have one?

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    ^^ I'm not so sure the servers are prepared for Limey accents.... (Ok, I'll apologize to the British now... I just couldn't resist :-D)
    It does seem to struggle with mine....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clikzip View Post
    Its not too bad, alot of reports as people said about it sending your contacts to their server. Although their saying they dont store the actual contact info just the names to make their speech recognition of names more accurate. Sounds like big brother to me, why would they need contact names for speech recognition?
    have you read the thread? - it says multiple times, the contact names and companies (nothing else) are sent to the server so if you start talking about a complex name or company in your dictation, it can have a good guess what you're on about!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So where is this available to download onto the iPhone?

Thanks

What I mean to say is those of you who don't live in the US could open an account from US. Obviously you need a relatives or your own address etc (with permission of course [:P]). That is what I did and managed to download it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What's with all the idiots discussing US vs. UK iTunes App Store and asking where to download it when it CLEARLY states that it's available from the MMi repo on Cydia? See? That means you need to jailbreak your phones, people! Duh. AFAIK, there are no regional restrictions in the Cydia store (apps are a different story) and it certainly has nothing to do with having a US iTunes account or not.

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    I can't believe nobody's said this..

CHANGE THE TITLE OF THE ARTICLE.

This is speech-to-text, not text-to-speech. Nobody here knows the difference? /facepalm

sigh.. again, this is a SPEECH TO TEXT app. Everyone has that retarded person in their contact list named Roqueisha, spelled some idiotic way.

They need to know this so when you say "ro-kee-sha" it doesn't type in Rokeesha or some other variant. Not that hard to understand people, this isn't a national crisis.
    WAAAAAY late, I know, but that's precisely what I came here to say.

Speech recognition/Voice Dictation != Speech Synthesis/TTS.

FWIW, my Bluetooth Parrot SK4000 helmet kit does both. I know the difference and yet I still sometimes mix 'em up and say what I don't mean when discussing it.
    Last edited by CZroe; 06-05-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks

Before calling people idiots, might it not be an idea to actually click on the link you so thoughtfully quoted? The one that takes you to MMi's description of the App that is available in the App store (US store only).

Just a thought.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I did click on the link. I just never see or use the "Get it on iTunes" and "App Store" graphics because I expect such information to be available in the text instead/as well and, once identified, I go to the source on my phone directly. I obviously haven't tried to yet (recently swapped out my 3GS, haven't JB'd yet because I was expecting iPhone OS 4 / iOS4 to be released today.

The correct answer to my question was "They aren't idiots. The author of this article is. Yes, we already established that with the TTS!=SS gaffe, but he's a double idiot for suggesting that it was available for free 'from' the ModMyi App store."

... to which I would have replied: Thanks!

Instead, I had to go back and open mutiple failing-to-load tabs on a website buckling under WWDC traffic. Ah well. Thanks anyway.

Thanks

This is now available in the UK App store.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123