+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Look Mom, No Hands! Dragon Dictation's Text-to-Speech App Rolls Out

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This is awesome but I hope in future iPhones you can hold home button "unlock", "open SMS", "open Jon Doe" , then say what you want all while driving in
    Thanks

This is awesome but I hope in future iPhones you can hold home button "unlock", "open SMS", "open Jon Doe" , then say what you want all while driving in the car! Lol
    13" 2.9 GHz i7 MacBook Pro OSX Mountain Lion | 32gb iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 JB

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i wonder if this is bluetooth capable... then it would work wonders while doing other things

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cranie View Post
    I used to use the PC version and it worked great period. The only drawback was changing how you speak period. New Paragraph
    Otherwise it's great period.
    lol. But how does it know to put that and not input the actual word "period"?

Quote Originally Posted by howlett15 View Post
    This is awesome but I hope in future iPhones you can hold home button "unlock", "open SMS", "open Jon Doe" , then say what you want all while driving in the car! Lol
    open John Doe? ewww >_<
    Last edited by hollow0; 12-08-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The fact that it sends all your contacts is in the EULA. Read it. Not that interested when that's the case...

Green Apple
    Thanks

finally, i'll be able to write mms and emails while driving without using my hands.

Thanks

Promptu has a app like this it's called shout out they were talkin about releasing it back in march but it never made to the app store this app works pretty good I like it should be totally hands free not 60% but overall I like it

Thanks

Default dragon dictation legal
    here is the full legal agreement in case you didnt read:

THIS IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU (THE INDIVIDUAL OR THE ENTITY USING THE DRAGON DICTATION SOFTWARE AND SERVICE) AND NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS INC., ("NUANCE"). PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS CAREFULLY.

YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS DRAGON DICTATION END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (“AGREEMENT”) IN ORDER TO INSTALL AND USE THE SOFTWARE WITH THE DRAGON DICTATION SERVICE. BY CLICKING ON THE “ACCEPT” BUTTON, OR BY USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. YOU MAY NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE OR THE NUANCE SERVICE IN ANY WAY UNLESS YOU HAVE ACCEPTED THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

Dragon Dictation is a client/server application, currently available only in the United States, that permits users of devices to control certain operations of such devices via spoken commands, including, but not limited to, the ability to at least create text and email messages . The following general terms and conditions govern your use of the Dragon dictation applications (“Service”) and permit you to download, install and use the client software (“Software”) and accompanying documentation provided by Nuance for accessing the Service.

1. LICENSE GRANT. Nuance grants you (the "Licensee"), a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable limited license, in object code form only, to install and use the Software on a single Device to access the Service only in the United States. A “Device” is any authorized Apple® iPhone®. You acknowledge and agree that the Software will use your wireless network to send and receive data, and that your mobile operator may bill you airtime, data and/or usage fees.

2. LICENSEE OBLIGATIONS.

2.1 RESTRICTIONS. You may not: (a) submit any automated or recorded queries to the Service unless otherwise approved in writing by Nuance; (b) use the Service for commercial use; (c) access the Service with software or means other than the Software; (d) copy, reproduce, distribute, or in any other manner duplicate the Software, in whole or in part; (e) sell, lease, license, sublicense, distribute, assign, transfer or otherwise grant any rights in the Software, in whole or in part; (f) modify, port, translate, or create derivative works of the Software; (g) decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to derive, reconstruct, identify or discover any source code, underlying ideas, or algorithms, of the Software or the Service by any means; (h) remove any proprietary notices, labels or marks from the Software; or (i) use the Service for purposes of comparison with or benchmarking against products or services made available by third parties.

3. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS.

3.1 SOFTWARE AND SERVICE. Nuance and its licensors own all right, title, and interest in the Software and Service including, but not limited to, all patent, copyright, trade secret, trademark and other intellectual property rights associated therewith, and title to all such rights shall remain solely in Nuance and/or its licensors. Unauthorized copying of the Software or Service, or failure to comply with the above restrictions, will result in automatic termination of this Agreement and all licenses granted hereunder, and will make available to Nuance all legal and equitable remedies for breach thereof.

3.2 THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE. The Software and Services contain a copy of the Speex codec in executable form. You acknowledge that use of the Speex codec is subject to the conditions and disclaimers listed in revised BSD license found athttp://www.xiph.org/licenses/bsd/speex/. © 2002-2003, Jean-Marc Valin/Xiph.Org Foundation.

3.3. NAMES AND SPEECH DATA. As part of the Service, Nuance collects and uses: (1) the names of individuals and companies that appear in your address book in order to improve the quality of the Service when you speak a contact name in using the Service, and (2) Speech Data, as defined below, to tune, enhance and improve the speech recognition and other components of the Service, and other Nuance services and products. You acknowledge and agree that Nuance may collect the names of individuals and companies that appear in your address book and the Speech Data as part of the Service and that such information shall only be used by Nuance or third parties acting under the direction of Nuance pursuant to confidentiality agreements as identified above. Nuance will not: (a) use the names of individuals and companies that appear in your address book to contact anyone for any reason, or (b) use the information elements in of any Speech Data for any purposes except as set forth above. Any and all information that you provide will remain confidential and may also be disclosed by Nuance to your wireless carrier, if so requested, or to meet legal or regulatory requirements, such as under a court order or to a government institution if required or authorized by law, or in the event of a sale, merger or acquisition of Nuance by another entity. “Speech Data” means the audio files, associated transcriptions and log files provided by you hereunder or generated in connection with the Service.

4. SUPPORT. To facilitate the process of evaluating and testing the Service and Software, Licensee may refer to Nuance frequently asked questions at: New Dragon Mobile Voice-to-Text Solutions from Nuance. For additional support, Licensee may request such support via the foregoing website, and upon Nuance personnel availability, Nuance may provide reasonable support services through fax, email or other means to Licensee with regards to defect and/or clarification of functions and features of the Software and Service. Nuance Support is available during Nuance’s normal business hours, Mondays through Fridays, 8:00a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST (excluding legal and company holidays).

5. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT NUANCE IS PROVIDING THE SOFTWARE AND SERVICE TO YOU SOLELY TO PERMIT YOU TO EVALUATE AND USE THE SOFTWARE AND SERVICE. CONSEQUENTLY, YOU AGREE TO TAKE ALL PRECAUTIONS AND SAFEGUARDS NECESSARY TO PROTECT YOUR DATA AND SYSTEMS FROM LOSS OR DAMAGE. NUANCE PROVIDES THE SOFTWARE AND SERVICE “AS IS,” WITH ALL FAULTS, AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, NUANCE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.

6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL NUANCE, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AND EMPLOYEES, OR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF USE, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR COST OF COVER, ARISING FROM THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE OR SERVICE, HOWEVER CAUSED, UNDER ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES IN ADVANCE.

7. TERM; TERMINATION. This Agreement begins on the earlier of your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Agreement or once you download the Software and expires upon termination. Nuance may terminate this Agreement, and the license granted hereunder, at any time in its sole discretion, with or without cause, by notifying you that the service has expired or has been terminated. This Agreement shall terminate automatically upon the breach of any of its terms and conditions by you. Upon termination, you shall immediately stop use of and shall delete all copies of the Software.

8. EXPORT COMPLIANCE. You represent and warrant that (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist supporting” country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties.

9. U.S. GOVERNMENT END USERS. The Software is a "commercial item," as that term is defined in 48 C.F.R. 2.101, consisting of "commercial computer software" and "commercial computer software documentation," as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. 12.212. Consistent with 48 C.F.R. 12.212 and 48 C.F.R. 227.7202-1 through 227.7202-4, all U.S. Government end users acquire the Software with only those rights set forth herein.

10. TRADEMARKS. Third-party trademarks, trade names, product names and logos (the "Trademarks") contained in or used by the Software or Service are the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners, and the use of such Trademarks shall inure to the benefit of the trademark owner. The use of such Trademarks is intended to denote interoperability and does not constitute: (i) an affiliation by Nuance with such company, or (ii) an endorsement or approval of such company of Nuance and its products or services.

11. GENERAL LEGAL TERMS. This agreement shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, United States of America, without regard to its conflicts of laws principles, and you hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal and state courts in said Commonwealth in connection with any dispute arising out of this Agreement. This Agreement shall not be governed by the United Nations Convention of Contracts for the International Sale of Goods, the application of which is hereby expressly excluded. This Agreement is the entire agreement between Nuance and you and supersedes any other communications or advertising with respect to the Software. If any provision of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be revised to the extent necessary to cure the invalidity or unenforceability, and the remainder of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect. The failure of Nuance to exercise or enforce any right or provision of this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. Sections 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 10 of this Agreement shall survive the expiration or termination of this Agreement.

Copyright © 2009 Nuance Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Last edited by rhekt; 12-08-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Since your dictation goes out over the internet for processing, I asked Nuance about security. Their reply was as follows:

"Search queries and dictation requests are transcribed by fully automated speech recognition software, without the use of humans. Data is uploaded and collected in order to improve performance for individual users, and to improve the general performance of the system.

All speech recognition requests and associated data are processed in data centers in the U.S. that meet stringent security and privacy standards; these are the same standards that we use for processing private information in other areas of our business."

How much will this capability cost? Nothing. For a limited time Dragon Dictation is absolutely free, but at some point there will be a charge for it.

Blurb taken from the article below:

Dragon Dictation comes to the iPhone.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

i would also like to add that while in the legal agreement page firewall ip let me know my phone wanted to connect to their server. i told it to never allow. will this change performance? not sure. will it even work after this?not sure. havnt agreed to their legal yet. but even though as stated above that our private info is stored under stringent guidelines. this might be a way around them storing our personal data. hopefully.

update:
    well unless dragon dictation takes an extraordinarily long time to update contact info to their servers. firewall has succesfully blocked them. unfortunately it also just sits on trying to update contacts and never goes into application, rendering it useless

update:
    ok so i let it run for more than 10 min and it finally stopped trying to update contacts. did i successfully block them? did they pull my contact info? not sure. i would like to say no. but i have no solid evidence. so now i can try and use app.

update:
    lets me record. once i press done an error popup says connection timeout. if i exit app and restart it goes back into the mode of trying to update contacts. firewall block on this app=fail
    Last edited by rhekt; 12-08-2009 at 03:06 PM.
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It probably isn't being sent out with firewall IP on then... You could verify just by using only wifi and using something like wireshark to monitor what connections are happening through your phone. But guess that wouldn't help much anyway... :P Just my 2 cents.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

it is just the names it sends. no other information! no numbers or contact info. JUST THE NAMES FROM THE CONTACT LIST!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What exactly would be the purpose of simply sending names from your contact list to their server..? Just seems a little unnecessary is all. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Scary

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ummm...crashes the default sms app, and opens iReal, though it's not set as default. I just keep it for the quick messaging feature!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

This app definitely works as advertised. It's not 100%, but neither is the desktop version (and neither is anything else for that matter). I guess this could have some use, but as of late I've become the master texter whilst driving. Oh well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone AmadeusKaelPyralis's Avatar
    Thanks

I really want an App that does this... WITHOUT an internet connection. Pipe dreaming, possibly, but I think it could be done. Sending a voice package to someone on another end who then translates it and sends it back to be put into something it just... odd. I had my hopes up, and went through great lengths to get it to work here in Canada but it requires a constant internet connection. Boo.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

It sends names and companies in you contact lost because it assumes that they may come up in your ditaction when you are talking to said people so it makes sure the software will understand.

Feel free to yell the sky if falling though without understanding the why

Thanks

I can't believe nobody's said this..

CHANGE THE TITLE OF THE ARTICLE.

This is speech-to-text, not text-to-speech. Nobody here knows the difference? /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by thecritter View Post
    What exactly would be the purpose of simply sending names from your contact list to their server..? Just seems a little unnecessary is all. lol
    sigh.. again, this is a SPEECH TO TEXT app. Everyone has that retarded person in their contact list named Roqueisha, spelled some idiotic way.

They need to know this so when you say "ro-kee-sha" it doesn't type in Rokeesha or some other variant. Not that hard to understand people, this isn't a national crisis.
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 12-09-2009 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

So cool grabbing now...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This app is very nice and good enough for what I need it do do. I give it an A+!