+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help GeoHot Find 10 Red Balloons and He'll Make an Untethered JB

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I was happy enough to donate after he released blacksn0w early. (sure it wasn't a LOT early) I can appreciate the work that he's done. While I don't care 100%
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I was happy enough to donate after he released blacksn0w early. (sure it wasn't a LOT early)

I can appreciate the work that he's done. While I don't care 100% for his eccentricity, he's done a great job in making the iphone a more usable platform for many people.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Well he really d*cked up this time. If he COULD make an untethered jailbreak he SHOULD make an untethered jailbreak and that is what everyone was waiting on was their buddy to come through with the goods. Now he won't do it unless he has personal gain, which was what he was always "morally against" or whatever.

Now he's taunting the people that have given him donations and telling them if they don't give more in the way of this silly competition or whatever else he comes up with that they can shove their donations he won't release an untethered jailbreak even though he COULD. Thank god I only need a jailbreak and not an unlock. (even though I use pwnage, I may need him one day).

I think he is about to learn a hard lesson about playing with the emotions of people that support him.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

3. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

A Retired Mod (12-06-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Forgive the noobish question....but whats untethered/tethered jailbreaks?

Which one is the Dev Teams Pwnage Tool?
    Tethered is when you have to connect your iDevice to a computer to Jailbreak (The Dev Team's Pwnage Tool is tethered), Untethered is a jailbreak over wi-fi. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cranie View Post
    You know what? Pick your side and stand on it. You either think GH is the man for turning down 10k a little while ago or you think he's an *** for this Red Balloon thing. Stop waffling.
    I for one pick the side that says "He's the man, always has been the man, and will be the man long after this passes".
    Uh, yeah, that's a very logical approach. So I'm guessing you think Hitler was freaking awesome because of those Iron Crosses for bravery that he won back in the trenches of WWI, and all that stuff he did later, well that didn't matter because you have to pick your side and stand on it, right? Moron.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blowfish64 For This Useful Post:

Arutoa (12-06-2009)

Thanks

:*sigh*:
    killall Terminal[]

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cranie View Post
    You know what? Pick your side and stand on it. You either think GH is the man for turning down 10k a little while ago or you think he's an *** for this Red Balloon thing. Stop waffling.
    I for one pick the side that says "He's the man, always has been the man, and will be the man long after this passes".
    Just because you don't like a decision someone made doesn't mean you don't like that person. So no one has to "pick a side" when it comes to GH. After all he's the one who made a huge thing about how jailbreaking and unlocking should be free. So he shouldn't have to win something to put out a untethered jb, he should do it because he wants to, because he enjoys his hobby, and he wants to help out the whole modding/jb/unlocking community.

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

um . . . GH, thank you for doing what you have done-

all you people hating need to learn to code yourselves, and spend countless hours finding an exploit, package it in an EXTREMELY easy to use software, and distribute it FOR FREE-

stop your whining. . . and like was said early in this thread, the untethered jb hasnt been found for the gs- if it was, GH would have released it-
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

ifonemaniac (12-07-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish64 View Post
    Uh, yeah, that's a very logical approach. So I'm guessing you think Hitler was freaking awesome because of those Iron Crosses for bravery that he won back in the trenches of WWI, and all that stuff he did later, well that didn't matter because you have to pick your side and stand on it, right? Moron.
    not even remotely close to the same thing hahaha

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justarry21 View Post
    Haha MIT won, he was stupid to think he could beat them...
    Why couldn't he beat MIT? MIT isn't always the best. There's a HIGHSCHOOL automotive class in Pennsylvania that's beaten MIT twice in competition over the last few years. A HIGHSCHOOL team beat MIT....twice, and recently.

Lets see MIT release a jailbreak instead of finding balloons. Then I'll be impressed.

Thanks

I'd just like to say that I did a run for him, spoke to him on the phone to call in my find, and happened to see the balloon above (number 2) in person, in Scottsdale, AZ.

On the subject of GeoHot, he's cool as sh!t. He was trying to use an untethered jailbreak as a motivator to get people going, and it did, just not enough. We got 8/10 balloons. If people would have gone above and beyond and got him the prize, he'd pay us back by spending countless hours on an untethered jailbreak. Seems fair to me.

Anyone who knows GeoHot knew he was presenting a way for us to "earn" our new jailbreak, and we didn't. Tough sh!t. Quit yelling at him because you didn't uphold your end of the bargain. When you can make the jailbreak, then you get to call the shots.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to reanimationxp For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (12-09-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

your a compete idiot. Comparing Hitler to geohot, forums really make people use their brain. I can't beleive you honestly said that. YOUR AN IDIOT

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    the funny thing is 99.9% of people on this site wouldn't have any idea where to start making a JB let alone make a un-tethered one but they will haply sit here and moan, it is simple if u don't like the way he does business get your coat and leave and don't use his products... simple but hey i dont care either way i am not even JB atm so i don't care either way. and never have.

o and the hitler thing is 100% top notch i now understand why we go to war with countries for no legitimate reason with ppl who think like you.
    Last edited by BiGZeus; 12-06-2009 at 03:57 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

...The people saying that we don't have a right to complain since we can't code might as well write fanfics and tell all of the critics to shut up unless they can write better.

Anyway, I'm just using an iPod Touch 2G, and I do think Geo's awesome, but still...

Thanks

Plain and simple (and non-biased),

Geohot provided a free, untethered jailbreak and unlock for the 2g and 3g iphone and the original iPod touch and released it for free despite the 10,000 dollar offer he received to not release it. Pretty awesome of him. He said that jailbreaking and unlocking should remain free for all.

Because of differences in the newer ipod touch and the 3gs, he was forced to release a tethered jailbreak for those, but still a jailbreak none the less. So either way he released a jailbreak for them regardless if it's tethered or not. It's still a way to jailbreak which is more than we originally had.

Now the guy offered to put in an unknown amount of hours to release a non tethered jailbreak for the newer ipod and 3gs users only if the users who will benefit from his FREE work will help him with something that he needs. I think that's pretty reasonable.

Let's say that 200 people tried helping him, you mean to tell me that one single person putting in work to figure out how to offer an untethered jailbreak is a fair exchange for 200+ people to help find some balloons??
    It's not even comparable. I think it's safe to say that if all of the people who cried, moaned and complained about him not releasing the non tethered jailbreak where to have helped him find the balloons when he asked for help in the first place, he would have gotten them all and then kept his part of his word. So ultimately, the people who want the non tethered jailbreak bad enough to be moaning and complaining now are the ones to blame for not originally helping him with his request when he asked.

Seriously, stop expecting free stuff all the time. That's being selfish. I don't expect anything in life for free, but when something free does happen to come my way, I appreciate it. Not expect more and more free stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    I don't like him.
    Neither do I. He's an egotistical d1ckhead.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikePA For This Useful Post:

Arutoa (12-07-2009), The Maestro (12-06-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob777 View Post
    your a compete idiot. Comparing Hitler to geohot, forums really make people use their brain. I can't beleive you honestly said that. YOUR AN IDIOT
    I don't know what your argument is about, but I felt a need to make a comment.
    If you can't use correct grade school level grammar, maybe you shouldn't be commenting on others' intelligence.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

Caligula (12-07-2009), reanimationxp (12-07-2009), santaf (12-06-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DisownedPenny View Post
    not even remotely close to the same thing hahaha
    Of course it's not close. That's the point. Giving an extreme example of someone's train of thought is a way to point out the fallicies in their arguments. Deal with it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone aglitch's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris102192 View Post
    wow... hes being a **** about not releasing the untethered jailbreak because he didnt win. im just like get over it dude.
    Im not mad at him. its just you dont need to win a stupid contest to do something u work on like everyday.
    he can be whatever he wants. he doesnt owe us anything. he doesnt have to make us jailbreaks. if anyone is being an *** its you my friend. by what logic does he have to share with the world his gifts? none.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Of course it's not close. That's the point. Giving an extreme example of someone's train of thought is a way to point out the fallicies in their arguments. Deal with it.
    Well said...
    32GB Black 3G[S]
    Blackra1n'd RC3

Thanks

Wow. I'm a moron because I think what George has done FOR the JB community shouldn't be negated because he acted his age and got a little selfish and immature? I'm not saying he's right. Just that people are quick to shift from praising him to slamming him. But YOU think what he's done somehow is best explained by an analogy of Hitler?
    And then you show some REAL deep thought by wrapping the debate with an insult. GG