+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Longitude Keeps You Connected to Google Latitude: RealTime GPS Tracking

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
What is Google Latitude? Google Latitude is a location-aware mobile app currently available as a WebApp only. A Mobile Phone user can use Google Latitude to allow specific people access
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default Longitude Keeps You Connected to Google Latitude: RealTime GPS Tracking

What is Google Latitude?
    Google Latitude is a location-aware mobile app currently available as a WebApp only. A Mobile Phone user can use Google Latitude to allow specific people access to their current location via Google Maps. Privacy controls are available for the users to select whether contacts can see their exact location, enter an address manually, or turn it off all together. In order to use this service, a user must load the webapp every time they want to update their location via Safari or another mobile based browser.

What Does Longitude Do and Why Should I Use It?
    Longitude is an App developed by Technivations, designed to work along side Google Latitude, that provides a more logical way of using Google Latitude. Longitude provides the ability to automatically update Google Latitude with your iPhone's location on a set interval. Your Google information is sent securely, and will NOT be sent to any third party servers. The program runs in the background, so as usual, this app is only available to Jailbroken users.

This feature is only available with Longitude. Currently in order for Google Latitude to update your location, you need to remember to open Safari, pop in the address, wait for it to connect and update, etc. This tweak offers a solution provided nowhere else. Just make sure you don't invite anyone to view your location that you don't really want to know where you are!

Features include:
    - Auto Update your location via GPS to Google Lattitude
    - Share your location with friends via Lattitude
    - Find your iPhone if it gets lost!
    - Login securely using Google Account info
    The app is available for $1.99 on the RockApp Store

UPDATE: Will be released on Cydia sometime next week.

Official Website: Longitude by Technivations

Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-06-2009 at 01:34 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    sweet!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

nice app but bad choice for installer program! Why would I want to install RockApp?! I once installed it to enable tethering and I ended up restoring my iPhone 3GS! I will buy the app when its available on Cydia Store!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Looks like a very interesting application. Should be cool for friends/family who like to keep in touch on a daily basis. Or for traveling people visiting others.

I'll have to check this out.

Thanks

Rockapp... Fail.. I'll wait till it's available in cydia

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    would this be useful say you lost your phone and you can now track it and see where it is?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There are no plans to bring this app to the cydia store and it most likely will never be there. The developer believes rock app to be a much better implementation of an apt front end.

EDIT: maybe not such a dim outlook for cydia after all...

Quote Originally Posted by gotjpeg View Post
    would this be useful say you lost your phone and you can now track it and see where it is?
    Yes, but with one caveat. You would most likely have to use a friend's phone or account or create another account to view where your phone is. It isn't practical to view the location of your phone with your own latitude account, as your location is updated to the device you were on last.

The app is also pretty good on accuracy. It tries for a 50 meter radius.
    Last edited by Adepssimius; 12-06-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: New information

Thanks

and....what if you dont know the current address to update location data? what then?...i see this usefull for when your kidnapped [again address] or lets say your a kid who sneaks out at night and you want your parents to know where your at [*sarcasm*]. better yet...lets just say your trying to meet up with a friend and you want them to see your exact gps local. but wait...again with the address [you have to know the address] if you know the address then just tell your friend and theyll enter into their own gps device and find you. i couldnt find a more useless way to spend $1.99 unless its on a skidrow hooker.
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks

I personally like the rock app and their apps. I've been using them since intelliscreen came out. I also love my profiles. Rock app is also a better installer program. It auto backs up app lists, screens out new apps by category and refreshes lightning fast. It's not bug free, but they update often to make for better products.

I have to wonder how much the above app affects battery life. I do like th concept.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Total and complete fail for putting it out only on Rock.

Man, I can only hope that it'll come to Cydia, as I'd love to pick this up for my friends and myself.

Too bad, since they're going to lose at least 6 installs from only being on there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    and....what if you dont know the current address to update location data? what then?...i see this usefull for when your kidnapped [again address] or lets say your a kid who sneaks out at night and you want your parents to know where your at [*sarcasm*]. better yet...lets just say your trying to meet up with a friend and you want them to see your exact gps local. but wait...again with the address [you have to know the address] if you know the address then just tell your friend and theyll enter into their own gps device and find you. i couldnt find a more useless way to spend $1.99 unless its on a skidrow hooker.
    Maybe you are missing the point of this app...the idea is that the app gets your location automatically from your iPhone, then updates your location on Google Latitude. All automatic. You never have to know any address. Ever. It will gather your latitude and longitude, usually to within 50 m, and update Google Latitude for you. If you can figure out some way to input an address into the app, I will personally pay for a hooker for you.
    Last edited by Adepssimius; 12-06-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Grammar

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Longitute, latitude, after that Tulalit......

Thanks

sweet a hOOKEr mY apOLOGIes ferdinand
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Cydia Availability & Rock Concerns
    To all of you who are concerned about this application being available exclusively on Rock: we are working to bring this app to the Cydia Store.

HOWEVER, I must request that if you have not given Rock a chance, you do just that. I was a long-time user of Cydia, but upon discovering Rock, I was more than happy with the switch. Rock is far faster than Cydia, its UI is far better polished, it rarely, if ever, crashes (whereas this was a frequent problem with Cydia for me), and did I mention its faster? If you dislike Rock for one reason or another, please be sure that your reason is legitimate and that any issues that you think you may have had as a result of it were in fact Rock's fault.

Thanks for your support and I hope that you will find this app as useful as we intended it to be.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fergusean For This Useful Post:

Adepssimius (12-06-2009), Kiserai (12-08-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Q8hawk View Post
    nice app but bad choice for installer program! Why would I want to install RockApp?! I once installed it to enable tethering and I ended up restoring my iPhone 3GS! I will buy the app when its available on Cydia Store!
    same thing happened to me once! i'll never install RockApp again.

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    have you seen this cool FREE program in the appstore ? InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking

I use it so my girlfriend can track me via the iphones GPS and on google maps when I drive to her place so she can see where I am and how much longer it'll be till I arrive.

I use backgrounder sometimes, or I'll just keep my phone on so that the program is running and updating every 30~ seconds or so. plus there are settings for accuracy and intervals
    Last edited by Rescuer; 12-06-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

UPDATE I spoke with the developers of this app and you'll be glad to know that it will soon be available on Cydia. The app will be available in Cydia next week, assuming @saurik has time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    have you seen this cool FREE program in the appstore ? InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking
    The whole idea of this app, Longitude, is that it works WITH Google's Latitude Service. Google is always on the front end of new trends and ways to use GPS and mobile phones.

Although, InstaMapper is free, it won't offer any of the services Google will, such as integration with Google Maps and the obvious Latitude API.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-06-2009 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

Optical Serenity (12-06-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fergusean View Post
    To all of you who are concerned about this application being available exclusively on Rock: we are working to bring this app to the Cydia Store.

HOWEVER, I must request that if you have not given Rock a chance, you do just that. I was a long-time user of Cydia, but upon discovering Rock, I was more than happy with the switch. Rock is far faster than Cydia, its UI is far better polished, it rarely, if ever, crashes (whereas this was a frequent problem with Cydia for me), and did I mention its faster? If you dislike Rock for one reason or another, please be sure that your reason is legitimate and that any issues that you think you may have had as a result of it were in fact Rock's fault.

Thanks for your support and I hope that you will find this app as useful as we intended it to be.
    I've had numerous issues with Rock in the past, and will not be installing it on any phone of mine, nor advocating it to any of my friends because they end up coming back to me for help when apps like Rock have caused the need for restoring the device.

I've had the uninstall cause problems which resulted in a restore more than once. I'll stop before I turn this into a Cydia vs. Rock derail though.

Much thanks for listening and being willing to put it up on Cydia! I'll be purchasing for my wife and the new tinker toy iphone that I decided to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    UPDATE I spoke with the developers of this app and you'll be glad to know that it will soon be available on Cydia. The app will be available in Cydia next week, assuming @saurik has time to do so.
    Q: fergusean is the developer? Thank you for the listening and getting a quick update. Awesome!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post

I use it so my girlfriend can track me via the iphones GPS and on google maps when I drive to her place so she can see where I am and how much longer it'll be till I arrive.

I use backgrounder sometimes, or I'll just keep my phone on so that the program is running and updating every 30~ seconds or so. plus there are settings for accuracy and intervals
    WHHHHAAAAAAPUSSSSSHHHH!! *sNAp* LMAO
    Last edited by rhekt; 12-06-2009 at 01:46 AM.
    killall Terminal[]

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

Windmeel (12-06-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@TooSlo - We realize you don't like Rock. Every time there is an article that even mentions Rock you are sure to jump in and let everyone know. The problem is you never actually provide any information about the issues you have. All you say is "I've had numerous issues" or it crashed my phone. If you are interested in helping the users of this forum might I suggest you be a little more specific. Maybe we could fix the issue so that you could spend less time attacking us and more time using your HTC Hero (did I read that right).

I honestly don't mean to be rude but we are trying to run a business. We provide excellent customer support and address user issues when they come up. People who just jump on forums to sandblast those of us trying to work hard, make a living and support the developers of the iPhone community are to say the least frustrating.

I guess what I am saying is if you don't have anything constructive to say then...

For those of you less interested in Rock vs. Cydia and more interested in new apps and innovative ideas please check out Longitude. It is a simple and very useful app that does exactly what jailbreakers want. It brings a feature to the phone that Apple does not allow but the users want.
    Last edited by RockSupport; 12-06-2009 at 02:12 AM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RockSupport For This Useful Post:

Adepssimius (12-06-2009), Nick Hesson (12-06-2009), Optical Serenity (12-06-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's his problem right there. Rock app is made for iPhone, not the HTC Hero. No wonder it crashes and causes numerous errors!
    Last edited by Adepssimius; 12-06-2009 at 02:14 AM.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast