Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Longitude Keeps You Connected to Google Latitude: RealTime GPS Tracking

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RockSupport View Post
    @TooSlo - We realize you don't like Rock. Every time there is an article that even mentions Rock you are sure to jump in and let everyone know. The problem is you never actually provide any information about the issues you have. All you say is "I've had numerous issues" or it crashed my phone. If you are interested in helping the users of this forum might I suggest you be a little more specific. Maybe we could fix the issue so that you could spend less time attacking us and more time using your HTC Hero (did I read that right).

I honestly don't mean to be rude but we are trying to run a business. We provide excellent customer support and address user issues when they come up. People who just jump on forums to sandblast those of us trying to work hard, make a living and support the developers of the iPhone community are to say the least frustrating.

I guess what I am saying is if you don't have anything constructive to say then...
    while I could see that being frustrating, this [b]is[/] a forum for communicating both good and bad experiences, correct?

Currently i've been asked by friends to help maintain devices such as iphones and such. I don't mind doing these things, but whenever I have attempted to use it, I've had bad experiences. Th two times I've given it a chance, once threw the phone into a boot loop, and the other, upon uninstall, stopped booting properly. This was after the issues with he springboard crashing to safe mode when attempting to use abrock related app.

Is that a better explaination of the isses I've been through? What about the other people who have experienced similar issues?

Since my experiences are far from a single example, I feel it my civic duty to at least create my own PSA on my experiences, noting that I'm not the only one who has had trouble with rock.

There is a saying in customer servce. A happy customer will tell few people of their experiences, where an unhappy one will tell everyone.

It's the same type of issue with service providers. Look at att. They get huge amounts of people complaining of their servce. People create webpages and blogs decrying the company as the devil incarnate. At least the people unhappy about rock haven't gone that far?

Btw: I do have another iphone again that I picked up to toy with. Still have the hero as well, but decided to only play with baking ROMS and themeing currently. Sorry for picking up another device, sadly there just isn't room for all the toys in my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Adepssimius View Post
    That's his problem right there. Rock app is made for iPhone, not the HTC Hero. No wonder it crashes and causes numerous errors!
    you might want to read my posts within the thread mentioning my wifes iPhone as well as the tinker toy one I decided to pick up to futz around with, or the fact that I have an ipt2 that I sometimes tinker with as well.

I'm an electronics collector to some degree. Is it bothersome to you for some reason?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TooSlo For This Useful Post:

The Maestro (12-06-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    Currently i've been asked by friends to help maintain devices such as iphones and such.
    It scares me that your friends are asking you to work on their devices. For one, you use an HTC Hero and two, you don't have a clear understanding how to end a tag on a forum.

You can add me to the list of highly satisfied Rock users. In fact, every single iPhone and iPod that I've installed Rock on has been just fine. That is, until people try to mix it with Cydia, since Cydia does strange things that conflict with Rock and things go crazy.

Most "Mac" users I know definitely prefer the design of Rock. Cydia is amazingly ugly, all else aside.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't want to keep this war of Rock vs. Cydia going, especially considering this post is about my company's app, not which package manager is better, but I do have one thing to say on the matter:

For those of you who claim to have had issues with Rock, I can tell you this from personal experience: don't judge Rock until you've run it WITHOUT Cydia. Jailbreaking screws with the phone enough... when you start combining package managers with MobileSubstrate hooks with even more applications that cause the phone to do things it was never designed to do, things can get... interesting, to say the least.

That said, I used blackra1n to jailbreak my iPhone, and thus I was given a choice as to what package manager I wished to use. I chose Rock out of curiosity, and my experience proved to be great - far better than my experiences had been with Cydia, mostly in terms of speed. I have not once had an issue with Rock, nor have the many many other iPhones I've jailbroken and installed Rock on as well. Point being: your problems are due to a combination of factors combined together, NOT Rock itself. Next time you restore your phone, use blackra1n to jailbreak and install Rock. You won't regret it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fergusean For This Useful Post:

Optical Serenity (12-06-2009), rhekt (12-06-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So many problems with a lot of the posters in this thread.

1. The writers on this forum are so Pro-Rock it's silly.

2. The maker of this app must have interest in people using Rock, otherwise why only release it there? If it was an independent, wouldn't it be wiser to have it available to as many users as possible?

3. When criticizing Rock, you're apparently told to shut it. Nevermind the fact that this place is a forum for discussion and that that means having people of different opinions.

4. Trolls. Specifically Adepssimius and Optical Serenity. They have no post count so obviously don't spend a lot of time here but they're quick to jump into the discussion when it comes to Cydia vs. Rock and they 'Thank' the RockSupport poster. One could suspect them of being the same guy, I mean, funny how they come from out of nowhere and then all pad each other on their backs. (This even includes the original poster/MMi writer edit: you can add fergusean to the list of someone just showing up and praising Rock)

@Optical Serenity
    Funny how you say that Rock works just fine but when mixed with Cydia, it causes problems. Why is it not the other way around? Cydia working fine unless mixed with Rock? I'll tell you why, because you're biased.

Someone posted about Cydia constantly crashing. Just wanted to state, I've never had Cydia crash on me.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Coral11 (12-17-2009), The Maestro (12-06-2009), xxfr0stbytexx (12-06-2009)

I use HeyWay - but that, of course needs the other person to have an iPhone or CoPilot for tracking.
    I can see why people would want this app when it comes out on Cydia but not sure that I'd use it as opposed to the alternatives I already use.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    So many problems with a lot of the posters in this thread.

1. The writers on this forum are so Pro-Rock it's silly.
    Actually, many of the posters have claimed their hatred for Rock. I take issue with it only because I'm the one who made the call to release it on Rock and they're claiming 'fail' without substantiation.

2. The maker of this app must have interest in people using Rock, otherwise why only release it there? If it was an independent, wouldn't it be wiser to have it available to as many users as possible?
    Quite frankly, I contacted saurik about listing it in Cydia long before ever getting in touch with the Rock team, and I never received a reply. Conversely, the Rock team was always responsive and very helpful. They got the app up the same day I sent it to them, and have communicated wonderfully.

3. When criticizing Rock, you're apparently told to shut it. Nevermind the fact that this place is a forum for discussion and that that means having people of different opinions.
    The couple individuals telling you to "shut it" are merely expressing their opinion. Something you seem to be all for. That said, keep expressing it, and they shall as well.

4. Trolls. Specifically Adepssimius and Optical Serenity. They have no post count so obviously don't spend a lot of time here but they're quick to jump into the discussion when it comes to Cydia vs. Rock and they 'Thank' the RockSupport poster. One could suspect them of being the same guy, I mean, funny how they come from out of nowhere and then all pad each other on their backs. (This even includes the original poster/MMi writer edit: you can add fergusean to the list of someone just showing up and praising Rock)
    I'm not someone just randomly showing up and praising Rock. Had you read my posts, it would be clear to you that I'm the guy who wrote this application and released it under my company.

Someone posted about Cydia constantly crashing. Just wanted to state, I've never had Cydia crash on me.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I must admit, I don't think I ever ran Cydia on my 3GS. I ran it on my 3G, on which apps were constantly crashing. Cydia happens to be resource intensive, and that iPhone was severely lacking in resources, so Cydia was forced to quit. It may work just fine on the 3GS, but my experiences, along with many others, show that Rock is simply faster - not to say that everyone's experiences will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    If you have a problem with this thread / forum, what are you doing here? And yes, while my post count may be low, it's high on other boards. Also, note when my join date is...I didn't just join yesterday. I'm definitely not the same as other posters, unlike a lot of fanboy geeks online, I happen to have a life outside these forums and see my iPhone as a tool.

@Optical Serenity
    Funny how you say that Rock works just fine but when mixed with Cydia, it causes problems. Why is it not the other way around? Cydia working fine unless mixed with Rock? I'll tell you why, because you're biased.
    My point was, when you mix the two, things can go wrong. I don't care what others use, but I personally prefer Rock. Does Cydia do a backup of all installed packages to the server? Riiight, didn't think so. Makes it hard to restore or move to other devices.

I run Cydia on my 3G with no problems. The reports of problems with Rock are well documented and numerous. I certainly will not be trying Rock any time soon.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Coral11 (12-17-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I run Cydia on my 3G with no problems. The reports of problems with Rock are well documented and numerous. I certainly will not be trying Rock any time soon.
    I would like to compile a list of said problems. Though I haven't gone looking, I've seen numerous complaints but no details other than "I installed it and it broke my phone". I'm not saying documented problems don't exist - I'd just like to compile a list of them in one place. Perhaps I'll start a new thread on that issue... I still stand by my "it's a terrible idea to run them side-by-side" comment.

and holy crap! 4,886 posts? that's a lot! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchel View Post
    I have to wonder how much the above app affects battery life. I do like th concept.
    The drain on battery life is very minimal - so much so that I haven't noticed a difference in my usage in the past week that I've been running it. You can set the interval to one of many intervals between 5 and 120 minutes, and the phone will grab your coordinates and send them to Google at that time. The GPS is only run long enough to get the location, and it's never run for more than 60 seconds (so long as you're connected to a network, the iPhone can get your location instantly from the cell ID and then the rest of the time is used to improve the accuracy to within 50 meters).
    Last edited by fergusean; 12-06-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Q8hawk View Post
    nice app but bad choice for installer program! Why would I want to install RockApp?! I once installed it to enable tethering and I ended up restoring my iPhone 3GS! I will buy the app when its available on Cydia Store!
    Blah blah blah RockApp sucks blah blah. Try it again, it works beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by xxfr0stbytexx View Post
    Rockapp... Fail.. I'll wait till it's available in cydia
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    and....what if you dont know the current address to update location data? what then?...i see this usefull for when your kidnapped [again address] or lets say your a kid who sneaks out at night and you want your parents to know where your at [*sarcasm*]. better yet...lets just say your trying to meet up with a friend and you want them to see your exact gps local. but wait...again with the address [you have to know the address] if you know the address then just tell your friend and theyll enter into their own gps device and find you. i couldnt find a more useless way to spend $1.99 unless its on a skidrow hooker.
    Another useless and uninformed post by rhekt.
    Last edited by Blowfish64; 12-06-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Could you integrate a viewer for the latitude webpage, similar to free apple appstore apps like greaderapp or igmail? I like being able to open standalone apps that don't redirect to safari, and there currently is no stand alone latitude. something like navizon would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    same thing happened to me once! i'll never install RockApp again.
    Once? You've given up on it completely and through all the major updates because it screwed up your phone once? That's like saying you'll never eat food again because you got sick once. Why don't you give it another chance? It's a lot more stable than in the beginning.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Blowfish64 For This Useful Post:

Optical Serenity (12-06-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bpl07 View Post
    Could you integrate a viewer for the latitude webpage, similar to free apple appstore apps like greaderapp or igmail? I like being able to open standalone apps that don't redirect to safari, and there currently is no stand alone latitude. something like navizon would be perfect.
    Second that request. It would make for a very nice and professional stand-alone app.

Quote Originally Posted by gotjpeg View Post
    would this be useful say you lost your phone and you can now track it and see where it is?
    If you're looking for something to help locate a lost phone, try iLocalis. Great app. Has a web interface that you can log in from any computer and GPS track your phone, send it command to make silent calls and texts, back up data, and even remote whipe your phone.

It also includes a feature like Latitude, you can share your location with other people, even if they don't have iLocalis.

I too use iLocalis iLocalis . I think it is great!!

I used Rockapp once and it messed up my 3G until I did a total restore too, and this was before I did a backup so I lost a considerable amount of data!...I'm never touching Rockapp again with a barge pole!!

Let me know when it's available in Cydia, I might just try it.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to iLaw-One For This Useful Post:

Coral11 (12-17-2009)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Drop the whole "I hate Rock, I love rock....blah blah blah Cydia Cydia" argument....if your going to post in this thread, STAY ON TOPIC....it has nothing to do with Rock or Cydia. They are both excellent applications.

If the same negative posts follow....so will infractions.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

politicalslug (12-06-2009)

Last edited by Adepssimius; 12-06-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: i decided not to be an ***

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adepssimius View Post
    You didnt decide anything....read my last post.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast