Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft to Offer "Ballot Screen" to Pacify EU Regulators?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Microsoft to Offer "Ballot Screen" to Pacify EU Regulators?

Microsoft is believed to be revising a planned antitrust settlement with European Union regulators following a plethora of complaints by browser makers that Microsoft isn't playing fair. As a result, Microsoft agreed to changes on how consumers select Internet browsers on Microsoft’s Windows operating system. Sources familiar with the situation have reportedly stated that the modifications could allow the EU to resolve the matter possibly by the end of next week.

Lately, Microsoft's struggle to work things out with EU regulators has reminded a lot of people of the lyrics from Katy Perry's popular song Hot N Cold: "You're hot then you're cold. you're 'yes' then you're 'no.' you're in then you're out. You're up then you're down."

Indeed, there has been no shortage of "directional changes" as the details get ironed out. But according to a report this morning on Apple Insider, the process may finally be close to completion thanks to the emergent talk of a "ballot screen" to remove concern of unfair advantages.

The modified agreement offers Windows users a "ballot screen" that will randomly list the five top web browsers. Users would be given the option to select a browser that will then be downloaded from the Internet.
    Initially, the European Union's antitrust claim originated from the absorbed theory that Microsoft's inclusion of Internet Explorer in Windows was "an abuse of Microsoft's stance in the market."

Concerns were raised by Opera, Google, and Mozilla over the planned ballot concept when it was first announced due to plans to have the browsers listed in alphabetical order. This would have placed Apple's Safari browser first. "More competition in the browser space will mean greater innovation on the Web and a better user experience for people everywhere," Google spokesman Bill Echikson reportedly said.
    According to data presented by Apple Insider, Internet explorer now captures 63.62% of the market. Firefox claims 24.72 and Safari remains a distant third with only 4.36 percent.

Image via Microsoft

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (12-05-2009)

Thanks

First. Yes I want a cookie!

Thanks

internet explorer is really bad i would expect firefox and safari 2 b head 2 head

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    You're retarded

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    I'd love if I could have Firefox installed by default on a fresh Windows install. Too bad this won't take off in the US as well, Internet Explorer is terrible and probably the reason 99% of people get viruses.
    Those people get a virus because they're stupid.
    Last edited by redcard; 12-05-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    Die.

I'm also not too certain about the accuracy of yet-to-come Microsoft decisions or information which comes from "Apple Insider".
    Last edited by skizo; 12-05-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    You're retarded
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by skizo View Post
    Die.
    Sure. I will take your advice. Thanks!
    Last edited by ty22; 12-05-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I don't see why microsoft even has to do this. It's not like the other os's released in the eu have to follow so why should microsoft? If people want to use IE let them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'd love if I could have Firefox installed by default on a fresh Windows install. Too bad this won't take off in the US as well, Internet Explorer is terrible and probably the reason 99% of people get viruses.
    Oh yes, because having memory leaks on Firefox is a lot less terrible than actually paying attention to what you're doing on Internet Explorer, have fun with your Firefox eating up a gig or more of RAM just by keeping it open for more than a half hour. Firefox is mostly just hype about being "cool and different", the only instances where Firefox stands out is when it comes to cutting edge standards that few, if any, web developers actually use, so 99.99% of websites that you might visit will be virtually the same on either browser.

And I think it is completely retarded that Microsoft has to do this considering OS X comes preinstalled with Safari, plus it's not exactly difficult to install Firefox.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Luppin For This Useful Post:

hoooodini (12-07-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

You're retarded

Those people get a virus because they're stupid.
    There's a lot of stupid ppl out there then! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    Oh yes, because having memory leaks on Firefox is a lot less terrible than actually paying attention to what you're doing on Internet Explorer, have fun with your Firefox eating up a gig or more of RAM just by keeping it open for more than a half hour. Firefox is mostly just hype about being "cool and different", the only instances where Firefox stands out is when it comes to cutting edge standards that few, if any, web developers actually use, so 99.99% of websites that you might visit will be virtually the same on either browser.

And I think it is completely retarded that Microsoft has to do this considering OS X comes preinstalled with Safari, plus it's not exactly difficult to install Firefox.
    I agree with you on the last part, it really isn't that hard to install another browser. Windows should still come preinstalled with IE if they want to.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 12-05-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What does this have to do with the iPhone?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

doing the double facepalm god my exact feelings LOL
    killall Terminal[]

You're retarded
    you don't even know how to use correct grammar. You shouldn't be talking.

Read the guy's signature. I lied.
    Last edited by btung; 12-07-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    -btung

i gotz this whole coding thing down

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

No more name calling or insulting please! Play nice!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There is so much blatant stupidity and simply wrong information in this post I am surprised you are able to perform day to day functions.

Besides the fact that I've somehow offended you as a firefox user, please explain how any of my post was incorrect or inaccurate in any way instead of just using memes offering no explanation as to why you feel the way you do.

Thanks

I still stick with FireFox and Safari, but I still keep Internet Explorer for Windows Updates.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Rota....dude... forget the haters. You rock man!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ifonemaniac For This Useful Post:

Rota (12-05-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Strange that people complain about viruses and IE.

I've been running IE8 + IE Pro (Addon/extension) and I've yet to have any problems with anything related to viruses and worms.

Then again I'm safe with my browsing habits.

I suppose if everyone wanted to be as safe as possible, they would only run their internet browser applications in a VM environment and not allow any access to OS files.

Just for the funnies, I'll just leave this link here for everyone.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TooSlo For This Useful Post:

hoooodini (12-07-2009)

Default Old News...
    What i dont get is why mmi and apple insider are posting this now. This is 2 month old news...hardly up to date stuff...jeez.

Microsoft's browserless Windows 7 E gets EUthanized -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    What does this have to do with the iPhone?
    I was just wondering the same thing. What does it have to do with apple either??
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What about chrome?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast