+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RedEye Makes iPhone a Universal Remote

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Taking Apple's remote app one step further, ThinkFlood's RedEye remote control system allows you to use your iPhone or iPod touch as a universal controller for any component that has
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default RedEye Makes iPhone a Universal Remote

Taking Apple's remote app one step further, ThinkFlood's RedEye remote control system allows you to use your iPhone or iPod touch as a universal controller for any component that has an infrared port. The app is free, but requires a $188 infrared base.

The RedEye system connects to the iPhone via WiFi and replaces virtually all the remote functions for any consumer electronics, home automation, or any device that can be controlled by an IR remote. It has a batch function that allows you to create a macro for something like "watch DVD" that prompts the RedEye base to send a series of commands to the component. It also has a learning mode to add commands for devices that are not included on the codes that can be downloaded from the RedEye website.

Where the RedEye system really stands out, though, is in its use of the iPhone's accelerometer and multitouch gesture support. In addition to just tapping soft keys, on the screen, you can rock or flip the iPhone/iPod to do things like adjust volume or toggle between TV channels.

image via ThinkFlood

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Man, this is epic! I may have to spring for the infrared base, unless you can use any ole cheap infrared base.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

man if only the iphone had infrared built in this app would sell BILLIONS

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

$188?! Wow.. that's pricey! My Harmony universal remote that controls everything was only $80. But this is a cool idea for sure!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Everyone's been waiting for something like this, but $188 is ridiculous. I went to the website, and ThinkFlood actually has the gall to say that this system "comes at a fraction of the price" of other systems! As Poseidon said, there's plenty of remotes out there that will do more than this thing for about half the price.

Still waiting for a remote app, but for less than ~$200.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

What's the point in buying a $188 component to have a universal remote? That's lame. I remember my HP iPaq had a built in app for universal remote and i controlled my TV with it. I wish the iPhone had a similar feature. All of these remote apps that require wifi to connect to another device to control it is stupid. Except for the remote for the iTunes. That one works really well and i like it!

Thanks

i have dish network at my house and my main tv is a hdtivo box, my bedroom uses a regular box but the spare box in the other room uses infared off my bedroom box, so u point the remote anywhere on this tv and it works off my box, would this app work with this or would i have to purchase base?
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by niqolas619 View Post
    Everyone's been waiting for something like this, but $188 is ridiculous. I went to the website, and ThinkFlood actually has the gall to say that this system "comes at a fraction of the price" of other systems! As Poseidon said, there's plenty of remotes out there that will do more than this thing for about half the price.

Still waiting for a remote app, but for less than ~$200.
    I think some people here are quite getting what there trying to sell, One of the main features they offer. This is taken from ThinkFlood website,

Because the RedEye device is in the same room as your equipment, you donít have to be. Instead, you can control your living room stereo from the kitchen, or turn off the TV upstairs.

Thats why they think they can get $188 because there comparing their product to professionally installed home products.

I think its a great idea, and I agree it is pricey but if they do some advertising and get more people to know about their product it'll sell at that price

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So if you have 3 TVs in your house and 3 cable boxes, would one base work?

Thanks

yeah its still a little pricey for the command unit to make this worth a try.
    killall Terminal[]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

As awesome as this is, the pricepoint for the base is just absurd. They should just charge 10-20 bucks for the app and cut the price of the base alltogether. Hell, harmony sells a bluetooth to IR kit for the PS3 to use their harmonies with and that is only 60 bucks. Time to get to hacking those units ;D

Quote Originally Posted by hart1583 View Post
    So if you have 3 TVs in your house and 3 cable boxes, would one base work?
    Depends on how far apart they are, but I don't see why not.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-05-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I have directv and my remote controls all the tvs with the directv box so I find this useless and for $188?! F$&K THAT!

Thanks

Yeah the price is high but I'm sure it will drop.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahhh, just buy regular universal remote, easy to use just about $12.00........

sorry my iPhone is not use for remote.....
    Last edited by romeo_herman; 12-05-2009 at 11:29 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    We use Indigo, it runs on Mac and allows you to build your own remote control that's visualized on the iPhone or iPod.
    Since it works over wifi it does not matter where I am, indoors or outside, I control everything from everywhere.
    Unlike REDEYE, this system is expandable and customizable and can be used to control lights, audio, video, HVAC and stuff like outdoor plugs.
    If that system does not work for you, there's an app out there called iRed2 which works fine also ( iRed2 | - Remotes for the rest of us )

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rampmike For This Useful Post:

jrlederer (12-06-2009)

Thanks

Why does it have to be wifi? Why not a dongle that plugs in the dock connector? I bet that could drive the price down a bit.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hey! Let's Buy an Infra-Red Remote for $188 ...NOT
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo_herman View Post
    Ahhh, just buy regular universal remote, easy to use just about $12.00........

sorry my iPhone is not use for remote.....:
    I agree....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Cool but I'd rather get a Harmony

Thanks

yyyeah a bit too pricey for me.

Thanks

the same people that bought the tomtom software and hardware will buy this product for sure... hehehe