+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: .Apps/Ads unveils New Open and Free Ad Management Platform for iPhone App Developers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default .Apps/Ads unveils New Open and Free Ad Management Platform for iPhone App Developers

As an iPhone developer, if you want to run ads on your app to make money, it's not exactly a simple step by step process. With each company out there promising more and more to try and sway you to use their services over others, promising this or that, it can be confusing. And to top it all off, there is really no way to know which one is the best for you and your app.

This can lead to a huge mess when tracking profits and figuring out which platform is working for you. This is where .app/ads steps up to the plate. .App/ads is an in-application advertising management tool. Like the other players, .app/ads provides a uber-simple dashboard for app developers to create mutiple ad slots within their apps, list their apps, and implement advertising through a variety of ad-networks/exchanges. App/ads was build from the ground up, to help developers manage, maximize, and optimize their ad space all under one single platform, in the most effect way.

Now the features don't stop here. With all of the services available such as AdMob/Google, MobClix, Video Egg, TapJoy, and so on, .App/Ads will allow you to manage each one of these services and even help you keep up to date with future ad services that may benefit your product.

.App/Ads takes this idea even one step further, by giving the developer complete control over his/her ads. The developer can add In-App purchasing to remove ads, plug another app that they have developed and show it as an ad, or even feature other developers apps as an ad. You can track how many ads have been shown and control when specific content should appear after a specified number of ads.

There is an SDK available for download from their official site. Here is what they have to say about it

Open Ad Integration is basically what it's name implies. It is an open source alternative to our closed SDK to manage 3rd party networks. You can add any ad network to your app and use your AppAds account to manage them easily. There is no limit to the number of SDKs so you can add as many as you need. Open Ad Integration gives you the freedom and control to tweak any element you desire. It comes to you as either a static library to just drop into your project and use out-of-box, or you can download the source code and tweak the code and add/remove SDKs, etc. You are no longer required to use a bundled ad SDK without internal control over how it works.
    This team has been at the forefront of innovation in online performance marketing for a long time. It sounds like taking what they did at Traffic Marketplace (create an environment that maximized value for the network publishers and advertisers) and are applying it to the next generation of ad network (i.e. developers, advertisers, and individuals).

Official Website: .app/ads - home

Source: TechChrunch iPhone Developers Get An Open Ad Management Platform From .App/Ads

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

As a NON-dev, I don't want new ways to produce ads in game so this news sucks a bit much. As a consumer I simply want to play the dang game without popups, spam, banners, menus or anything else in my way.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wow, this idea is just bloody disgusting. "Purchase" no advertisements?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    Wow, this idea is just bloody disgusting. "Purchase" no advertisements?
    There are numerous free apps that have advertising. Have u been hiding under a rock? Many developers don't even make money from their apps that are free, so ad's are their only source of revenue. While your over there playing your free app, while complaining about ads, the developer is at home starving trying to survive. But hey, screw him right? You just want your free app and that's all?

I mean **** dude, one look at the internet and you realize it thrives off ads. Grow a pair of balls already. Learn to ignore it or stop using the internet. People still gotta pay their bills my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    As a NON-dev, I don't want new ways to produce ads in game so this news sucks a bit much. As a consumer I simply want to play the dang game without popups, spam, banners, menus or anything else in my way.
    Well how is your game suppose to be free without these ads? Are devs suppose to spend hours, weeks and months on development and expect nothing in return? These small ads that don't interfere, are necessary for developers to continue to give you free apps.

I don't get why people find this so hard to understand.

As a NON-Dev, this app will help prevent stupid ad's appearing that you have no interest in. Ad's will never go away but they can at least become better at targeting audiences.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-04-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    I mean **** dude, one look at the internet and you realize it thrives off ads. Grow a pair of balls already. Learn to ignore it or stop using the internet. People still gotta pay their bills my friend.
    Well ****, I must be on a different interweb than you. My browser doesn't have advertisements, and hasn't for the last 5+ years.

The disgusting part is that they are trying to hit people twice. The initial view of the advertisement, then another trying to get people to pay to turn them off.

I'm just waiting for SOME kind of HOSTS file fix or ad removal app for the iphone/ipt.

If the devs are so concerned about money, find a real sustainable job and quit being a bitchy primadonna. If your app isn't good enough for people to want to pay for it, maybe you just can't cut it in the app development biz.

Too hot? Get out of the ******* kitchen.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

/\/\/\ doesn't get it /\/\/\

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

The disgusting part is that they are trying to hit people twice. The initial view of the advertisement, then another trying to get people to pay to turn them off.
    Incorrect. They are not "targeting" you to see something twice. These ad companies work off UNIQUE views. Cheating the system doesn't do anything. The developer is simply offering you an option to NOT see ads. It's really that simple. For example. If I offer you free internet, but then say you only get it for free if I can have an ad running along the top of your screen while your connected. Then I say, listen, if you get tired of seeing those ads, I'll stop showing them if you pay a monthly fee. So its up to you. Do you want free internet or do you want to pay? It's that simple. I provide a service, I need to somehow have the ability to continue to provide that service

I'm just waiting for SOME kind of HOSTS file fix or ad removal app for the iphone/ipt.
    I see you like to rip people off. Cool.

If the devs are so concerned about money, find a real sustainable job and quit being a bitchy primadonna. If your app isn't good enough for people to want to pay for it, maybe you just can't cut it in the app development biz.

Too hot? Get out of the ******* kitchen.
    So your saying, **** the devs for wanting to make money from their hard work. You'd rather have NO apps at all? WTF?

You need to get your head on straight. People put a lot of hard work and effort into the apps and tools you use today. Show some appreciation. Especially if they are making an effort to deliver ads more efficiently in a non intrusive way.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-04-2009 at 06:16 PM.

What's Jailbreak? Naughty_Ottsel's Avatar
    Thanks
    I quite like the idea of this. As a dev and naively thinking people will buy my app which to be honest is quite crap but people do play it every so often, so the in-app purchase would not be appropriate in my case but for an app that i play quite often I may be more inclined to purchase to ability to stop apps and could actually be the start of the app demos we've wanted for a long time and many of those 100,000 apps are just a limited free version in which it bugs you to buy the full app, this gives the happy medium for devs and consumers, devs still make money from the ads for the free version in which the user gets an app for free and has the usual apps, if the user feels like the app deserves it or just doesn't like ads then they can purchase it as a paid app, less space taken up on the App Store and on your device so in fact it could be a win, win and for the solo indie developers like myself it takes out the hassle of house advertisement systems as that is part of it as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty_Ottsel For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (12-04-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Incorrect. They are not "targeting" you to see something twice. These ad companies work off UNIQUE views.
    First time you open the application, the company gets their unique view, then the app developer gets the buck from charging you to turn them off. I'd call that double dipping on the dev's part.

Cheating the system doesn't do anything. The developer is simply offering you an option to NOT see ads. It's really that simple.
    They're "offering" the option after the first unique view has been made. It's not really rocket science.

For example. If I offer you free internet, but then say you only get it for free if I can have an ad running along the top of your screen while your connected. Then I say, listen, if you get tired of seeing those ads, I'll stop showing them if you pay a monthly fee.
    You aren't in that situation. There is no company that gives 35mb up/down that I have right now for allowing banners on my screen. That's like trying to say that Bugatti will give you a Veyron, but you have to keep a big pink dildo attached to the hood. That or you can buy the car.

The deal doesn't exist, so there really isn't any weight to your example. Show me someone willing to give me 35mb FIOS for having a banner somewhere on one of my monitors, then I'll take your example seriously

I'm see you like to rip people off. Cool. (sic)
    Give me a product worth paying for and I'll buy it. I also record my TV shows so I don't have to watch commercials. I suppose that's not ripping people off because it has no direct influence on your life, right?

So your saying, **** the devs for wanting to make money from their hard work. You'd rather have NO apps at all? WTF?
    I'm saying don't make a **** product. Make something innovative and fun and people will buy it. If you're just some jackass trying to make yet another soundboard, you don't deserve the money you get from advertisements.

You need to get your head on straight. People put a lot of hard work and effort into the apps and tools you use today. Show some appreciation. Especially if they are making an effort to deliver ads more efficiently in a non intrusive way.
    Ads = Ads

They irritate me either way and I'll go through whatever process I need to get rid of them. Even when it takes me more effort, I'm standing up for my morals. These devs need to stop thinking that they deserve oh-so-much because they wrote an application that people in their right mind wouldn't pay for.

I can drift my 240 pretty well, but you don't see me trying to tell the world that I deserve sponsors and free gear because I have a car. I've put in plenty of late nights wrenching on my car. These devs shouldn't think they deserve so much just for writing an app.

Again, make something innovative. Push the limits. Picasso paintings are worth so much because he was brilliant and fantastic at what he did. I wouldn't go demanding money for people to look at my toddler's scribblings.

Get the **** off your high horse.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally I don't mind the ads, every once in awhile I see something I may click on.
    Yes, some are annoying, but that is the price we pay for a free app.
    Everyone's got to eat.

If jailbreaking and unlocking were not free we would not even have this conversation.
    Icinema, safari plug ins, etc...all are free, and I am sure have to be maintained for each version.

I guess if people wanted apps to completely disappear there could be a charge for jailbreaking and unlocking s/w, make a union for the devs, split the cash, make all the apps free...now how much would a jailbreaking cost then?
    100? 200?

Eventually if the devs aren't making the money then the above scenario could very well become a reality...yea, they do it for free now, for the challenge...but the world changes my friends.....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just so you know there is a way to block Ads on an iphone just like you do with a computer with the host file. But I will not post it here. if you want to take away from Dev's you will need to spend a few min on google for the answer.

But I do agree with both of you. Crap software don't make. Good software just make it paid software. Everyone hates Ad's I don't care who you are they are annoying, but at the same time if you enjoy the app and it free but with ads and they don't offer a paid version it would be nice to be able to pay with in the app to remove ads.

Its Not double dipping, its not like they get lots of money for 1 Ad you view it take hundreds and sometimes thousands of adds just to make a buck. so if they show you one ad and then offer you the option to remove it for a small fee then its worth it to you and to them.

1. You don't pay for an app you might not like.
    2. If you do like it you get the option pay him by looking at ads or just pay to remove it.

Thanks

It depends on the ad...I hope this won't be annoying, but I understand that the devs want to make money.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

want to control your ads?.....theres an app for that
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

So you have to purchase your way out of an ad? uhhh...ok Might as well make you pay a full price of the app. But that would depend how much it costs to remove the ad from the app.

Thanks

great idea ... I can't believe non-contributing zeros like TooSlo exist , I bet you still freeload of your parents ..
    Last edited by sphangman; 12-05-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Well how is your game suppose to be free without these ads? Are devs suppose to spend hours, weeks and months on development and expect nothing in return? These small ads that don't interfere, are necessary for developers to continue to give you free apps.

I don't get why people find this so hard to understand.

As a NON-Dev, this app will help prevent stupid ad's appearing that you have no interest in. Ad's will never go away but they can at least become better at targeting audiences.
    That's not for me to worry about, Taco. I'm a consumer. It's your duty as a dev to worry about how you get paid and it's my duty as a consumer to either have the experience I am looking for out of your product or ignore it like an ugly baby.

Everyone thinks these days because they can explain WHY they do something that it makes it ok. Hey you cut your finger half off.... here's why... now you see why yes? YES, but I still have a nub there numbnuts. "That's" the issue. It's not the consumers position to worry about how you get paid. I'm a business owner and nobody comes to my store and tells me it's ok that I painted a giant wall mural of my stores sales on their house because they know I need to advertise.

It's time devs quit forcing their guilt trips onto the consumer to make it "ok" for them to have an app that spams the hell out of them for the devs benefit. The consumer makes you, listen to them or you'll be back to being a consumer yourself.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

18. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

TooSlo (12-05-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sphangman View Post
    great idea ... I can't believe non-contributing zeros like TooSlo exist , I bet you still freeload of your parents ..
    I hate to burst your bubble, but I left the care of my mother's home when I was 18.

I've been fine and dandy for the 11 years afterward. I have an extremely successful position working as a SQL upgrade analyst for one of the fastest growing software companies in the US that provides digital documentation and visit level distribution algorithms.

As I've said. Make a product worth purchasing and I will be more than happy to purchase. Otherwise, I may test something out, but if it doesn't fit my needs or quality expectations, you bet I'm going to voice my opinion about it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

I am going down the middle ground here:

I think this is a good idea...but only for those apps that are free (because they need to be). Some apps are free not because they suck, but because they either target a very small crowd, or because they are trying to gain momentum. I am cool with a free app that has ads, and then offers me to pay .99 cents to get rid of them. Heck, if I like the app, I will pay the .99 cents. I guarantee they get a LOT more downloads being free vs .99 cents.

For apps that are really awesome, or target a large audience, the developer should charge up front and skip this pay for add removal thing.

I just wish Apple allowed us to frigging trial apps...but that is another story
    Last edited by kwickone; 12-05-2009 at 08:53 PM.
    kwickone I.T.H.

the kanye west of programming drunknbass's Avatar
    Thanks

hi, if any devs want to try out the sdk or have questions message me on twitter @drunknbass

Also the in app purchase stuff isnt just for unlocking ads, thats just what that 1 dev chose to use it for.. our sdk just lets devs do in app purchases without having to write all the code required to do so.