+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T, Verizon Agree to Stop Suing Each Other

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T, Verizon Agree to Stop Suing Each Other

AT&T and Verizon today agreed to drop the lawsuits they've been pursuing against each other over advertising claims. The US District Court in Atlanta dismissed AT&T's suit hoping to block Verizon's "there's a map for that" ads, and the US District Court for the Southern District of New York closed an earlier Verizon complaint that would have shut down AT&T's criticisms of its "most reliable" claims. Both cases were dismissed without prejudice so either company can sue the other one again, at any time.

AT&T's lawsuit accused Verizon of misleading advertising when they showed a map that only displays 3G coverage. AT&T said this left the impression that AT&T service works only in those areas, which is a small subset of its total coverage. Verizon's response said that the ads made it clear that the maps only showed 3G coverage, but AT&T had sued to have the ads blocked while the trial was going on. US District Judge Timothy Batten denied AT&T’s request, saying that while the ads might be “sneaky” or “clever,” they are “literally true.” Meanwhile, Verizon came out with new ads that suggested the iPhone was limited by AT&T's smaller 3G coverage and poor service quality.

Neither AT&T nor Verizon has provided any reason why they're choosing to drop the lawsuit at this time. AT&T's inability to stop the ads, though, made it a losing battle for them to continue a lawsuit that, if anything, drew more attention to Verizon's argument. We'll see if the ad wars cool down or heat up as the holiday season goes into full swing.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That's interesting. I wonder if all of this has to do with the possibility of Verizon courting Apple to get a CDMA version of the iphone, since so many of the ads do show the iphone in a derogatory manner.

Only time will tell.

Thanks

^^^lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Holy schnikies!!! So this means the two of them are gonna stop acting like ************ and *gasp* start acting COMPETITIVE???!!!??
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 12-03-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: inappropriate description where the *'s are

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

Can't we all just get...an iPhone? LOL. Yep, Verizon wants their hands on a cdma iPhone. Watch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^^ Hahaaa lol

Thanks

Hah. It just wont be the same without the constant "I'm better, look at me!" ads. Ad wars are definitely going to heat up, without a doubt. Isn't that what the holidays are for? :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

With Verizon talking smack about the iPhone and what it can't do and what Droid can do, isn't having a version of the iPhone on their own network kinda against what they are showing those ads about?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

they are “literally true.” meanwhile, verizon came out with new ads that suggested the iphone was limited by at&t's smaller 3g coverage and poor service quality
    lmfao.............. Even the judge agrees
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon's just mad cuz they dropped the ball when they had the chance to get the iPhone. Now all they can do is trash talk it...but it seems like they've changed their strategy up. Now they're saying that the iPhone is a cool phone but is on a terrible 3G network. These types of commercials came out after their "droid does" ads. Too bad the droid is just another simple android 1.6 OS. Nothing new.

Thanks
    i hope they don't make a iphone for verizon ahahah

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Keep in mind that we are discussing At&t vs. Verizon, not Apple vs. Verizon.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Hard to distinguish the two. I said the day they announced the iphone it was the perfect marriage of two companies that are completely self absorbed and do whatever they want without regard to customers. I've had good luck with applecare in the wty standpoint, but the rest of what we fight every day is a perfect example of the remaining issues. ATT and Apple are almost indistinguishable in terms of how they run the companies. It's the reason why their contracts together work and the reason why there is no good excuse to kill the contract they have. YOU may not like them, but misery loves company.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    nice

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sogmasta View Post
    Holy schnikies!!! So this means the two of them are gonna stop acting like ************** and *gasp* start acting COMPETITIVE???!!!??
    lol
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 12-03-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: inappropriate description where the *'s are

Thanks

Someone needs to make "There's an iPhone for that" ad.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Verizon's just mad cuz they dropped the ball when they had the chance to get the iPhone. Now all they can do is trash talk it...but it seems like they've changed their strategy up. Now they're saying that the iPhone is a cool phone but is on a terrible 3G network. These types of commercials came out after their "droid does" ads. Too bad the droid is just another simple android 1.6 OS. Nothing new.

The Droid...browsing on that thing is so nice. The screen, I can't explain it. Everything looks really smooth. Modmyi.com and pictures look nicer than on my iPhone. the speakers are better too...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    if your gonna smart off about verizon, at least know what your talking about. The Motorola Droid is the only phone on the market with ANDROID 2.0! Not 1.6...also i am a iphone user and have had time to play with the droid and it is right up there with it. my loyalty is still with the iphone but if verizon got it i would snatch it up in a heartbeat!

Thanks

Hahaha I have to post, I love that picture. Great way to drag readers into this article. Reservoir Dogs, classic and AT&T as Mr. Pink?

Edit: Now watch Verizon continue to smack AT&T all over. These holiday commercials are going to turn out some classic stuff.
    Last edited by southfrisco; 12-02-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    That's interesting. I wonder if all of this has to do with the possibility of Verizon courting Apple to get a CDMA version of the iphone, since so many of the ads do show the iphone in a derogatory manner.

Only time will tell.
    Right, if you actually watched the Verizon ads, you'd know they actually pay compliments to the iPhone, but they just say it's too bad that it's on AT&T.