+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Bugs Come Knocking for Live Broadcast App "Knocking Live"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Knocking Live has arrived, the first formally sanctioned and Apple approved iPhone app to offer live video broadcasting over a 3G network. A peer to peer video streaming app that
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default The Bugs Come Knocking for Live Broadcast App "Knocking Live"

Knocking Live has arrived, the first formally sanctioned and Apple approved iPhone app to offer live video broadcasting over a 3G network. A peer to peer video streaming app that enables users to connect through Facebook, Knocking Live's arrival has been "long overdue" to some. But according to 9to5Mac, the app, which hit the App Store earlier this week, is still a bit buggy.

The major roadblock was that Knocking Live Video uses undocumented (and therefore unusable APIs) to stream video from iPhone to iPhone. Naturally, with the automated API checking tool, the app was rejected for this reason initially.
    For obvious reasons, the debut of Knocking Live has come with tremendous fanfare, as the free (to the first 50,000 users) application providing this functionality has been on the typical iPhone owner's wish list for years. Promising to "eliminate the upload, send, download' process, establishing live, device-to-device connectivity," Knocking Live is certainly groundbreaking.

Although there is no shortage of speculation about how this particular app weaseled its way into the App Store, coverage from Ars Technica reveals that the app was initially rejected, a situation that prompted the app's developer, Brian Meehan, to reach out to Steve Jobs.

Why can't it be so easy for other developers to get the ear of Apple's CEO?

Meehan's impassioned email apparently prompted Jobs to personally review a demo of the app and ultimately push it through the approval process. The same article claimed that "an unnamed Apple exec" told Meehan that the company had flip-flopped on their earlier posturing and would now allow the app to be available in the App Store. That decision, apparently, came "directly from the top."

But Meehan was convinced that his app was worth fighting for. "When it was rejected, I decided not to give up and reach out directly to Steve Jobs via e-mail," he told Ars. "I reached out to Apple to reconsider our application due to its potential to culturally change how people share live moments phone-to-phone."
    Will the still-buggy app pave the way for similar apps to get past the approval process? Since Apple has a history of being "less than consistent," nothing is guaranteed for now. But perhaps it's a positive sign for things to come.

Image via 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 12-02-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks

someone tweet this app yesterday i tried this but it wont even load it just crashes..good thing its free.dont work on my 3GS
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

IMO, Eye, Orb or Slingbox are better options. Why is Apple so slow in adding features that customers really want
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post
    IMO, Eye, Orb or Slingbox are better options. Why is Apple so slow in adding features that customers really want
    $$$

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

None of those apps you mentioned even has dedicated live uploads. Orb requires the software on your phone and computer. And you also need an orb compatible tv tuner in your PC.

knocking, if all bugs can be resolved could become really good since it broadcasts live video from your iPhone without relying on separate software installed on your pc or tv.

Thanks

sorry, all this one did was crash for my 3gs. guess those api's are undocumented for a reason!

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    sorry, all this one did was crash for my 3gs. guess those api's are undocumented for a reason!
    I'm on a 3GS with no luck.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

tbh...the app sucks...it doesnt even load...probably why apple let it through

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thumbs down Grrr...
    Installed this app...fired it up...stalled on splash screen..and then crashed back to my springboard.

Rebooted my iPhone.

Tried to run app again....crashed the whole iPhone.

Then my iPhone got stuck in the 'on/off boot logo' cylce.

Had to restore.

Thanks Knocking for taking up three hours of my night last night.

I think it's crap that an app can make it to the app store with this many problems.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It this app attempting to do the same thing as "qik", bc that app works perfectly for live streaming to FB, Twitter, and Youtube...

Green Apple
    Thanks

works fine on my 3GS JB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Syncing it on to my 3GS now.. I'll edit this post when I find out the outcome.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have this installed on both my 3GS and my wife's 3G. What a great concept. Unfortuneatly, it does not work. The app runs fine, but when I try to connect to stream video from one phone to the other, it just sits there waiting to connect. I am in great 3G coverage and still nothing. Tried on WiFi and nothing.

KnockingPic works find, but Knocking Vid does not work at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I got it working for a few minutes but it takes forever to connect

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just installed this app and it worked fine for me on my 3GS. It's just one thing I don't like about it, is that you have to search for friends that's fine but you should be able to browse for friends. The Facebook part of the app I really don't understand. You be able to connect straight to Facebook without any friends and just stream live to your wall.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 277 Posts

Thanks

not even sure how often i would utilize this kind of app. hmmmm ill keep one eye open though.
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Answer: Because they can get away with it!

Thanks

The idea of this app is great, but it just does not work. This should never have been released in this state. He's (the developer) just lost a whole lot of credibility.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

buggy new app??? never, not from apple...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...