+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Make Video Calls on your iPhone with Fring

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 277 Posts

Default Make Video Calls on your iPhone with Fring

Fring is a VoIP and chat client for your mobile phone. The service works with a handful of various networks, including Skype, AIM, MSN Messenger and Twitter. You can even make calls to landlines from your SkypeOut and SkypeIn account and place voice calls to your Skype and Fring address book.

Today, Fring is taking its iPhone app to the next level by bringing support for video chat. Nokia added this feature to some of its devices last week, and the new version of Fring is now in the app store. Fring is free and you can grab it here (iTunes link). That means the iPhone/iPod Touch can now accept incoming Skype Video Calls! This can lead to a bunch of ways to monitor something as well.

I wont lie, I've never really used Fring. I've fired it up once or twice before, but with this update I am very tempted to try it out again. The only problem with this is the iPhone doesn’t have a camera on the front, making for awkward video conversations, but we can only hope for one when the next iPhone is released in 2010.

Below is a video by Fring demonstrating the service. Although, all I see is a bunch of greenscreen work and simple screen tracking, but I would imagine it's pretty close to the real deal.

Fring is unfortunately limited to WiFi only, but the workaround is of course to use 3G Unrestrictor on a jailbroken iPhone. Using this tweak you can make Skype calls over 3G, and call unlimited to Canada/USA for $3/month. And of course a bunch of other things 3G Unrestrictor will let you do

One should also note that this is only one-way video calling at the time. Fring has also said that once there is a front-facing camera, they will make two-way video conversations available — just like they are on some Nokia devices.

Last edited by Nick Hesson; 12-01-2009 at 05:28 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (12-01-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

downloading now! proposed this idea to the beejive team about a week ago, glad to see its out. they could pribably make this work with aim too.
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^lol

I'm downloading it now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

sweet! can't believe this is free! even if beejive were to bring this update to their app, they'll have a hell of a time competing with FREE. and honestly, i'm surprised Darth Jobbs and the Empire let this one through. i mean even if it doesn't break any rules, i'm surprised apple let someone beat them to the punch on a feature that is worthy of this many geek points (not like you have to break a rule to get denied anyways..)

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool, now to get it on the official Skype app...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

never used fring. also until i watched this video, i allways thought it was pronounced like "fringe" you know like the outside boundry or limits of something. seemed fitting due to the type of service it provides. dont you think?

instead its pronounced fring like "thing" or "ding" or "sing" "fring" seems like a waste of a perfect opportunity to me.

maybe ill download now and try out since theyve included video.
    killall Terminal[]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Is there a way to make fring not pull up my whole entire address book. It's kind of annoying. I'd only want to see people on my skype. I did the VoIPover3G hack and I'm trying to get the video calling feature to work but when I call someone on Skype the video box shows a red circle with a line through it. (It's an error message). I use 3G Unrestrictor.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Thanks

it make no sense to have this app its cool but THE IPHONE DOES NOT HAVE A FRONT FACING CAMERA so i would hate for other people to be able to see the benefits of my app and i cant because the A-HOLES in Cupertino wont give us what the freak we want next iphone better have all the stuff these three are missing or im going with droid

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

so.... 3gs to 3gs only? cuz it aint working from my 3Gs to my sisters 3G...
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

Thanks

oK, so, awesome idea:

Someone should make an attachable mirror that hangs off at an angle so that it can be used: for instance you have the phone facing away from you, camera facing you. The attachable mirror would hang off to the left or right, and create an image of the phones screen while still having the camera facing you! Hey, its not perfect, but it would be a simple temporary solution! It it wouldnt be hard to make: all you would have to do is use one of the light weight iphone mirror screen protectors and stick it out in front. Its so light weight, it wouldnt be awkward or anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 277 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jiniej View Post
    so.... 3gs to 3gs only? cuz it aint working from my 3Gs to my sisters 3G...
    as far as i understand the video calling is one-way from Skype TO fring. I haven't tried the other way around. Anyone else confirm this?

Thanks

i think it only works for phones with afront facing camera iphone does not have that i tried it with two 3gs did not work at all

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

as far as i understand the video calling is one-way from Skype TO fring. I haven't tried the other way around. Anyone else confirm this?
    Ohhhh sheeeesh that makes sense
    i'll have to chizzeck it out then
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Biggie. I suggest you read the OP's post.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is so nice, do iphone have like external camera, where we can plug in on the bottom of iphone where we used to charge it, and the camera facing us if iphone invent something like that im sure will buy it

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

Heres what it looks like in Action!!

actually pretty cool. Works well with 3G unrestrictor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Video Calls on your iPhone with Fring-img_0030.png  

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default no your not
    Quote Originally Posted by thrash99er View Post
    first
    I think you should edit your post LOL

Thanks

u cant send video....but it just moved up to my new favorite app
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone BEEKS's Avatar
    Thanks

^ how come's when your in it, it gives you the option to make a video call; but you can't send video? Just a bit confused about that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

i honestly didn't like Fring when i used it back then. It's a cool feature but i know no one that would actually use this feature so i'll hold off on it.