+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Maps to "The Next Level:" Without Google?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone Maps to "The Next Level:" Without Google?

MacRumors highlighted a newly posted Apple job listing today that shows that the iPhone "Geo team" is looking for a software engineer to work on the Maps app.
    The iPhone and iPod touch Maps team is looking for a proactive and hardworking software engineer to join our team. The iPhone Maps application is used by millions of customers and itís the best mapping program on any mobile platform. Now with iPhone OS 3.0, the MapKit framework allows any developer to embed a fast and easy to use map right in their application. In addition to the Maps application and MapKit framework, the Maps team is also responsible for the new Compass application as well as other location-based services (LBS) on iPhone and iPod touch.

[...]We want to take Maps to the next level
    Google has long been the database engine behind iPhone's Maps application, and since Apple and Google have increasingly come into competition, as Google moves more into mobile technology, it is unsirprising that Apple may be looking more to "go in-house" on its iPhone offerings. Google has added many Android-only features to Google Maps - such as plain English search and voice search - and though Google has said they're interested in adding that functionality to the iPhone Maps app, progress has been slow.

Also, Apple acquired Placebase, a would-be Google Maps competitor, back in July. The former CEO of Placebase is now part of the iPhone Geo team, and this job listing would be another piece of evidence that Apple is looking to move beyond Google in future versions of the iPhone Maps app.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (11-29-2009)

Thanks

Wow big news!

Thanks

kind of sad news. i like google. well heres to the future maps.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Well I saw that one coming....
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Deja vu all over again. It's like those wild and wooly days of the '80s and '90s where Apple, Microsoft and IBM duked it out for desktop dominance. But now, Google has replaced IBM as the big, bad wolf. And instead of the desktop, it's now a phone (or a phone OS, to be precise). I hope we, the consumers, are not going to lose out on this, since Google Maps is dominate.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Speech man from Nokia Co said a few days ago that iPhone is gonna have "short road" and nokia will take iPhones marketplace back in no time.. It gonna be interesting few next years as we see who ends up as a winner in mobile devices.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

i want the google maps with voice especially since it will be free i like google maps better then any of the other navigation programs. So stop acting like a baby apple and get the damn program

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Man... Apple better not leave out the transit and walking direction features!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    Man... Apple better not leave out the transit and walking direction features!
    yeah i like that feature too
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I seriously doubt Apple would make a Map app and not make it seamless or refined. Apple always puts in the extra work to make it work right. Google is nice but i welcome any other map that can do the same thing. It's like TOM TOM v.s Garmin. They use different maps but in the end it's still a map and gets you to your desired location. I'm sure we'll be able to understand a map app other than Google..if not then, you've got problems.

Like their ending sentence says.."We've only just started"! Think outside the box people!

Thanks

I like Google Map

Thanks

Apple...

Really REALLY pisses me off how Anal they are about everything.
    EDM

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont really understand some of apples rationale
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    I dont really understand some of apples rationale
    It's simple... Google is now a competitor. Apple cannot be reliant on a competitor for one of its most important apps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 851 Posts

How does Google compete with Apple? Because they make products for the competition?

I'm sure it has less to do with competition and more to do with Apple having control over its own features. It's not about money, it's about control.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    How does Google compete with Apple? Because they make products for the competition?

I'm sure it has less to do with competition and more to do with Apple having control over its own features. It's not about money, it's about control.
    They make competing mobile OSs. Apple went to google in the first place for a maps app. Why would they now change? What has changed? Now Google has their own competing mobile OS (Android). Apple could be left hanging dry as google introduces new features. That has to factor into this.

Thanks

Google and Apple should kiss and make up. It's hard for Apple to top Google Map. But Apple to have the tendencies to surprise. I hope Google Map is still be available via App store.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post

Uhh wrong it's obvious google and apple will compete. They are 2 different manufactures of phone OSs. It's plain and simple to see. Do you see honda making their cars with ford rims or chevy symbols? Quit thinking everything they offer is for control lol. Geez.. that's everybody's excuse for a lame argument.

Banned
    Thanks

Looks like my next phone will be an Android Phone. Good work Apple, I was hoping I would have an excuse to dump your worthless wares. Now I do.