+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iGizmoz Works Around Jailbreak to Add Widgets to Your iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iGizmoz Works Around Jailbreak to Add Widgets to Your iPhone

A new application approved for the App Store brings widgets to the iPhone, circumventing the need to first jailbreak it.

Yes, indeed, iGizmoz has earned Apple's stamp of approval. Why? For obvious reasons. While there are already a few high-profile apps like Cydget and SmartScreen that enable one to set up widgets on the iPhone, that process is only made possible by jailbreaking the device.

You can understand why Apple is seemingly gung-ho about iGizmoz, although its unlikely anyone is going to regret having jailbroken their iPhones because of this $0.99 application's arrival.

According to a write up and review by AIS:

The widgets can be freely arranged on the scrollable screen. Once a widget has been added to the main screen, it can be double tapped and customized. You can also change the background image of the main screen choosing from the images provided or choosing an image from your Photo Library.
    The eleven customizable widgets include:

* Calendar
    * Countdown
    * Flashlight
    * Search tool
    * Slideshow
    * Speed dial
    * Sticky notes
    * Stopwatch
    * Swinging creature
    * Tic tac toe game
    * World clock

The only drawback I see in this app is that it is an app and will not work on your lockscreen or springboard unlike Quickwidgets, Smartscreen, or Cydgets. Itís a great app but I wish this could be used in a similar manner to the jailbroken apps.
    Going out on a limb here, but it seems that if Apple hopes to "convince" iPhone owners that jailbreaking isn't the way to go in light of new applications like iGizmoz and other forthcoming developments, it would appear - at least to me - that such a plan would backfire and actually inspire more people who never even seriously considered jailbreaking their iPhone to now actually do so.

iGizmoz is now available for download.

Image via AIS
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 11-28-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks

wow nice but our jailbreak stuff is still better

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

yea i was just about to say that. we have it on more handy places like lockscreen instead of pressin an app

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sorry to sound kinda nitpicky, but shouldn't the link to the app be to the MMI appstore link?
    Just sayin'.

On a more related note, I concur with the other posters, the jailbreak stuff looks wayy better with more functionality.
    But I'm curious, doesn't this app somehow break Apple's iPhone API or something?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blind56 For This Useful Post:

Michael Essany (11-28-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Not if everything you do is in application. It does absolutely nothing to the springboard or lockscreen, its all inside the application.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks

i agree. itll have its limitations due to apple not allowing lockscreen capabilities in apps
    killall Terminal[]

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple don't allow apps to do anything outside the app itself so it kind of sucks.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't think people jailbreak just for the right to customize there interface .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthem13 View Post
    I don't think people jailbreak just for the right to customize there interface .
    It's part of the reason I do. Most people that pay to get it done, are looking for the unlock, and maybe the use of some less than sanctioned "appstores" if you know what I mean. Most people that do it themselves, are likely to use customizing apps.

Green Apple
    Thanks

it pretty cool for a dollar i think...for some people that dont want to jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with the majority of the posters. Jailbroken phones have more options for customization, along with the other useful apps that actually do something.
    Review of the widgets is pretty limited and does not provide any of the enhancements that jailbreaking does.

Nice try by Apple, but they will have to come up with a lot of other stuff to even compete with JB apps.
    IMHO I do not think this will happen.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

quick widgets is by far better. i like having it on the lock screen and it looks better. i would prefer more widgets for quickwidgets though. hopefully the final release will fix certain issues and add more widgets.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think that jailbreaking is the way to go. Its really easy to do and to undo. Plus there are alot of useful tweaks and addons that should be included into the OFW of the iphone. The only reason I did mine was that I knew I could just restore if need be. Ever since I did it I have had no reason to revert back to the OFW.

Thanks

^ I agree with you! Jailbreaking the phone makes it so much better in every-way!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh Apple, you're like that stubborn kid who takes his ball to go home when other kids don't play by your rules.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djgunner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthem13 View Post
    It's the main reason I do it actually.. the jb iphone is so much fun to mod the ui / look / feel / etc...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My iGizmoz is not working since one week. I still could not sort out the main problem. Let me know if there is any solution for this. If not, then I think I have to download it again.
    mod/edit links removed

Thanks

yea i like the functionality of the jailbreak widgets better, if you can use it on your lockscreen whats the point of having it, its basically another lockscreen picture
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Folks 85% of iphones are not jailbroken and this is what they are looking for. It has nothing to do with YOU, jailbreaker. This app will be #1 all day long in the app store. The talented SOB that did this is gonna be rolling in more money than he can stuff into a stadium.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s