Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RockApp Store Projects $2Mil/Year

If Rock App ever supports Cydia packages, Saurik might have his hands full trying to catch up. Who will be the first to get a big update? Rock or Cydia? Whatta think?

iPhone? More like MyPhone imagineThiss's Avatar
    Thanks

since when has Rock's actions shown malicious activity in any way, like mentioned in some earlier posts, yeah they had some problems, but those problems have improved drastically (so did cydia), point is their intentions are good and have never show otherwise, plus some of their stuff they have on their is amazing.. tlert and elert <<< cant live without them.. PLUS they have the best support around, Rock Support is amazing to say the least, anytime i have asked a question they have replied right away.. even some developers have showed some love.. for example like the developer of the new Multifl0w expressed his feelings publicly on his website supporting rock... they even have a thread here on to discuss changes and improvements... so why all the hate.. relax ppl...

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

no love for Installer.app 2
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    They still have a small handfull of apps. They currently list 28. They have been around for more than a year now.
    Tom Cross, the CEO, says that RockYourPhone is "receiving about 10-20 developer applications a day - some defecting from Apple's restrictive control."

Ok, either the CEO is lying to make RYP look better than it is or you have some terrible information. 28 apps in a years time and they are receiving 10-20 apps per day now? Damn, I thought the App Store review process was bad...

So which is it? I have never used RYP, do they really only have around 28 apps total?
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

The good thing about RYP is their apps come as trials. Visit their site, if you'd rather not install Rock app just yet, and see their offerings. Also see the "longer than 28" list of apps they offer.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Tom Cross, the CEO, says that RockYourPhone is "receiving about 10-20 developer applications a day - some defecting from Apple's restrictive control."

Ok, either the CEO is lying to make RYP look better than it is or you have some terrible information. 28 apps in a years time and they are receiving 10-20 apps per day now? Damn, I thought the App Store review process was bad...

So which is it? I have never used RYP, do they really only have around 28 apps total?
    i seriously doubt his info is correct... if they're grossing 2 million on just 28 apps than imagine what it would be with the THOUUUSSANNDS lol. But yeah his info might be off.

I ended up installing RYP shortly before it went 2.0 and I have to say I don't understand all the hate. I've never had it brick my phone or make it unstable in any way. Sure I'm frustrated by their inability to allow proper repo browsing that they've had since they launched 2.0, but overall I find their program far faster and more stable than that laggy, crashing mess of a store called Cydia. Those who haven't tried it since it's beginning days should take a second look instead of continuing to judge it.

RYP Rocks! Simple as that. I especially like the backup feature. Recently I upgraded my 3GS and didn't have to go searching for all my apps because of that feature. Thank you RYP. You guys are the best! Please keep up the great work!

I don't feel it's so much an issue of hate as it is giving a 3rd party middleman control over software that you buy from their service. I wouldn't have any problem with RYP tbh if not for the fact that it is a nanny type system. What happens if you've purchased a couple dozen apps and then later on sometime something happens on RYP's server resulting in your account being wiped clean? Since anything you buy is tied to your account, even though you already have them installed locally, they would fail to authenticate, right?

Believe me, this sort of thing HAS happened to people on Valve Software's Steam service, to my self included. And I haven't even begun to talk about the flew nature of a system like this for apps, such as console emulators, that otherwise require no 'net connection (IE, offline apps.) This has always been a big issue with Steam.

I am all for having more and more methods and places to be able to get apps and such, but IMHO, this is not the way to go. You cannot promote freedom by imposing more limitations.
    Last edited by szr; 11-25-2009 at 12:24 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to szr For This Useful Post:

TooSlo (11-25-2009)

The "receiving about 10-20 developer applications a day" doesn't have anything to do with the "28" apps that RYP has. Rock has some apps that they developed but there are also hundreds of others by other developers just like in Cydia.

Never say never - but I can't see a time when I'd ever have RYP on my phone...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Rock=JUNK.

I also call B.S. on the 10-20 app submissions a say. I call double B.S. on the $2m this year too. As far as the number of app rock has....let's just say something like a xsellize or sinful iPhone repo on cydia has many more/better apps.......
    Last edited by skj8100; 11-25-2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone blazingangel1986's Avatar
    Thanks

cydia is my freind
    www.ccbahamas.co.nr

szr: We don't have a nanny system. All the licenses are stored locally on your phone (ie, disconnect from the internet - all your apps work!). If you restore your phone, your licenses will be gone again and they will be downloaded for you upon installing and opening the rockapp or any of the licensed applications.

confucious says, "Keep an open mind"

skj8100: No one said 10-20 app submissions a day. We get 10-20 developers a day! Not all the devs are submitting apps - but rather looking to develop apps/assistance, etc. It's more a gauge of the excitement rather then app submissions (which are obvious by browsing our store!). If you take an independent developer, like ZodTTD - who was willing to release his numbers in our press release - and do some simple math - you can easily see how we reach these numbers. The $2 million does not include any future growth - so it's much more then that actually
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RockSupport View Post
    For those of you who have tried Rock in the past and had issues or were in any way dissatisfied with the experience we would ask that you give us another try. If you run into any problems at all please email our support team and we would be happy to help in any way that we can.
    This is very tempting. I have tried Rock before several times, but haven't touched it since I moved to 3.0. Every experience with it has been negative. Freezes, crashes, Apple logo hangs.

Maybe once a Pwnage Tool is released that truly fixes the Carrier Logo issue I may put it back on my phone.

The carrier logo issue is fixed by UltraSn0w 0.92
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah so I have to unlock my phone that i use on AT&T? To get a reliable carrier feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    No one said 10-20 app submissions a day. We get 10-20 developers a day! Not all the devs are submitting apps - but rather looking to develop apps/assistance, etc. It's more a gauge of the excitement rather then app submissions (which are obvious by browsing our store!).
    Again quoted from the first post - Tom Cross, the CEO, says that RockYourPhone is "receiving about 10-20 developer applications a day - some defecting from Apple's restrictive control."

So did Paul quote it wrong or did you misinterpret an in house memo or is Tom blowing hot air in order to attract more devs and users?

Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    If you take an independent developer, like ZodTTD - who was willing to release his numbers in our press release - and do some simple math - you can easily see how we reach these numbers. The $2 million does not include any future growth - so it's much more then that actually
    Ok did you just use ZodTTD numbers to come up with your estimates? He supposedly made $30,000 on his app/apps in your store? Surely you can see taking just one sample is a flawed way to go about estimating revenue numbers and ZodTTD experience isn't going to reflect other developers experiences. Just like the dev that supposedly made $250,000 in one month in the App Store. These samples are no where near reality for most devs. Granted your store has much LESS competition than the App Store but I fail to see how 2+ million jailbreakers out of 50+ million iPhone/iPod users will spend $2 million with RYP (considering RYP isn't used by all these jailbreakers), where Cydia is synonymous with jailbreaking (and easily has more users). I also wouldn't put it past Apple to have fabricated that $250,000 story to get devs on board. Nice little ploy when you think about it.

Also since I've heard most of RYP apps are trials are you counting them on a per download (trial) basis or actual sales where users pay after the trial expires? There are ways to skew numbers for the benefit of your wares.

I am going to have to check out the web site to see just how expensive these apps are.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

This is my opinion:

I tried Rock, and really did not like it. Then I read more about how it works and I removed all traces of it from my phone. If there is a Rock app I must have I'll get it from an alternate source with the Rock crap stripped out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast