+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Exclusivity to End in June: Report

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by ip3 AT&T have a 5yr deal with Apple that will end june 2011 not june 2010! besides that small detail, i doubt that apple will release the
    What's Jailbreak? Vintagecondom's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ip3 View Post
    AT&T have a 5yr deal with Apple that will end june 2011 not june 2010! besides that small detail, i doubt that apple will release the iphone with Verizon, after all of the commercials bashing Apple and the iPhone!
    That too. I wonder who here has seen the new Apple commercials, which also is a launch to a new televised campaign. They are bragging on the fact the iPhone can collect data and take calls at the same time. "Can your phone and service do that?" Is said towards the end of each ad. If you haven't seen them, I suggest you go do a little research.

I doubt a relationship with Verizon will happen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To everyone saying apple won't make a deal with vw "because of all the i bashing" are mistaken. Apple will do what is best for.....APPLE. But I do agree with others when they say apple more than likely will not release an entire new iPhone for just in carrier in one country.

Thanks

verizon service is BOSS in the tri-state area (i live in jersey and commute everyday to NYC)
    I even got service in the subway with my moto Q on verizon
    i cant waitt!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Why Verizon? Why make a completely different phone (internally) for ONE carrier in ONE country? They seem to have done very well with the "one version of the iPhone around the globe" deal for the time being. T-Mobile? Plz?
    T-Mobile work on a different 3G frequency in the USA so some alteration would be needed (but not a lot). The biggest problem, I believe, is the lack of infrastructure on T in the USA, I don't believe their 3G network could cope with the volume and that is why people think Verizon is more likely, even though they use different technology.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDan View Post
    Kraziebone,
    I have t mobile and use the iPhone with no complaits
    What speeds do you get on Edge using speedtest.net app?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I also live in Michigan and AT&T only has somewhat reliable 3g in two places- Detroit and grand rapids. (There are maybe a couple more spotty covered cities) I live about 15 miles outside of grand rapids and I do not get 3g until I am practically downtown. AT&T 3g coverage is horrible in my opinion. My sprint coverage was always much better with data speeds 3x my edge speeds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    My sprint coverage was always much better with data speeds 3x my edge speeds.
    What speeds do you get on Edge? Is that with AT&T?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't have any complaints with at&t. The only time I havent had 3g so far was when I went on vacation to Maine and only had 1 or 2 bars but my friend's verizon didn't have any at all.

I live in Virgina and *knocking on wood*, I happily admit.. i have never had a dropped call with my iphone.

I sometimes get unsent messages but that is when I'm in a building like a school where there are no windows and the walls are real thick. Just my 2 cents.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

......another rumor [i tell myself at night]
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Thanks

that was very intresting thank you one of the best articles + videos in a while

Thanks

aint gonna happen, i also love how the verizon xmas commercials show the att 3g map, there less and less everytime they make a new commercial, i live in the lehigh valley,(north of philly) on this new map theres a small dot near philly, HA if only that was true att would have went under last year. FAIL on verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

my contract with att ends in june how ironic!
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have AT&T in metro Detroit area. The coverage is spotty and I often drop calls. When I had Verizon, it was much better to the point that I also have a verizon phone for the areas that I cant use my iPhone.

That being said, I'm not sure switching to Verizon when the iPhone is available will necessarily solve the drop calls or slow data service problem. I think this stems from the massive amount of data and calls that are made on AT&T because they have so many members, because of the iPhone. In other words... AT&Ts system is crowded and they are just treading water trying to keep up with all the usage.

Once Verizon comes out with the iphone they too will have to deal with the same phenomenon as AT&T did and also deal with the mass exodus of AT&T people who think Verizon will be better. Hence, dropped calls, slow data, etc.

I'm gonna take my time moving over to see if AT&Ts service improves once people leave for greener pastures. My guess is that it will. Remember, AT&T is what, 4 years into the iPhone game and that learning/growing curve is important to consider.

Just my $0.02

Thanks

no complaints really here with at&t in terms of quality of service or anything like that. only thing is obviously wish there was a bigger blanket of 3g coverage. but i live close to the rocky mountains and mountain coverege is not good for any carrier.

i agree with jhoffy about the sheer amount of data/calls etc from iphone use crippling att and the same will happen to verizon if they get the iphone. its the same reason why there are viruses for windows and few for macs, because everyone has a pc. if everyone had a mac then there would be a world of mac viruses too.

-Luke

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Deep inhale...... Okay, here's my two cents.

I have used Qwest(Not sure if still operating), Sprint, ATT, T-mobile, and switched back to ATT service when the first generation iPhone was released. Over that time span I have lived in Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Alaska, California (Los Angeles and Bakersfield), Maine, and Pennsylvania. On top of all that moving I also travel every other weekend for 8 months of the year all across the US. I find it unbelievable that someone could be satisfied with their ATT service. Unless I am in large cities I rarely have 3G service, (I have obviously upgraded to the 3GS since my first gen Iphone) I drop at least 5 calls per day, I receive text messages hours after they are sent a few times a week, and have battery problems that I attribute to the constant switching between 3G and edge. (I do not use bluetooth, push notifications, push mail, or wi-fi and always have them turned off)

Now, I don't hate ATT because I understand that iPhone sales have surpassed anyone and everyone's expectations both in the US and internationally and ATT could not have possibly been ready to handle this type of traffic on its network. In saying that, I do believe that the service they are currently able to offer due to the amount of traffic on their network and their lack of 3G coverage is by far the worst I have had since my first cell phone in 1997(Keep in mind tethering, although used by many is not officially allowed yet by ATT). I know they are working everyday to catch up, expand 3G service, and everything else but I don't believe they will be able to catch up or will be willing to put enough money into their 3G network before its time to move to 4G. I make it a point to constantly check with co-workers who use Verizon how their service is in different locations when I have lost 3G service or have even lost Edge and have no service at all. In only one instance in the last 3 years have I had more bars in any place than a co-worker using Verizon. I can tell you the building if you are interested. For some reason it is a Verizon black hole and ATT works fine there. It is still true to this day.

In being fair I'm not jumping on the Verizon bandwagon full out here. Who is to say that the Verizon network could have handled the weight and traffic that the iPhone has brought to ATT's. Even the Droid thus far is a drop in the bucket compared to the iPhone use on ATT's network. So if the future brings the iPhone to Verizon and the network keeps up it still won't make Verizon the be all end all because the initial impact from all the people that switched to ATT to get the iPhone will not be nearly as large as it has been to ATT.
    Everything being said, if Verizon gets the iPhone I'm not expecting their network to slow to a halt as ATT's has. I expect those like myself who are extremely frustrated with a great product from Apple being limited by ATT to switch and thousands of current Verizon customers to upgrade to an iPhone. I think if it does happen the weight of the iPhone load on ATT will lighten and that along with other upgrades will bring better service back to their customers.

So that's what I think about my service. And if they do bring the iPhone to Verizon and I do switch I say this to you Verizon. Don't stand there like a knight in shinning armor saying how much better you are. Be happy with my business and understand that ATT has brought a great product a long way in this country and reinventing the wheel is always easier than the coming up with the first one. The slow daunting task of blazing the first path has been done by ATT now please let Verizon pick up and sprint down the middle of it so I can have some damn service in every area. I want a map for that!!..... Exhale

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hope you didnt write all that on an iPhone... just kidding.. you deserve a Verizon iPhone for that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JHoffy1 For This Useful Post:

Kronsch19 (11-23-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

T-MOBILE WILL BE PERFECT!!!

but then again I prefer the HD2

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darwina View Post
    Yeah... I hope so. I'd like to see a phone bill under $80. I don't use the minutes I have, mostly text and data because I have no real friends :P I could only hope there'd be some competitive packages out there.
    T-mobile baby! hahaha. 3 lines, 700 mins, 2 lines with unlimited text, 2 lines with data. $120 total.

Coverage is not as good but the bad coverage is always where I dont need to make any calls or look at a map so no complaints here.

Thanks

Wow. I learned a lot from that video. If Verizon carrier iPhone I would love to switch over. At&T is suck.

What's Jailbreak? Ruthle$$Turtle's Avatar
    Thanks

Default hate verizon
    i cant even fully explain way i hate verizon so much. but most of my family and friends HAD them and finally moved to att. i work for a communication(cell tower) company have for 10yrs and we had them as our carrier for years and have switched to att yea every yes every carrier has issues all over the us and that is all due to the amount of data that is being sent... to keep a good signal you need a min of a tower every 10-15 miles. with the amount of ppl and smart phones let alone IPHONES that are being used 24/7 you need alot of antennas. the tower erectors are bizy as hell and with no one wanting to spend money... it slows down the site builds. i talk too and have had most of the carriers out there and i will never go anywhere else... att does more for me than any other carrier.

another thing do we really thing that apple is going to go to verizon after they have attacked apple with the droid... honestly!!
    att isnt perfect but they have there head in the game and so does apple when they picked att they knew att whats the same thing they do.
    sorry about the lil vent but for real ppl verizon!
    fyi i c more orders for att than any other carrier... att gets multi sites done than flips the switch!!! lol bam! 3g! i will be happy when they finsh our area.

love my iphones

adp
    Thanks

I wouldn't switch to Verizon if they had the iPhone. But I really hope it happens so it brings more competition. Maybe someday I'll switch my iPhone from unlimited T-mobile data ($10/month) to AT&T - granted they lower their data service price.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->