Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Orbit vs Overboard - iPhone Expose Wannabe Showdown

id like to set things straight. as i was involved in the conversation with shwnwlkns. i was NOT indicating that [rpetrich] had any shady dealings whatsoever w/ his new app overboard. i was merely questioning shwnwlkns claims to stevens authority and assumed copyrights to this technologies origins with orbit.
    Last edited by rhekt; 11-22-2009 at 03:11 AM.
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shwnwlkns View Post
    I'm not out to sway. Hell, I don;t need to. Orbit made 3000 dollars so far, and Overboard hasn't made 100. Orbit 1.1 was released, much improved, more features, quicker boot times. Weird, Orbit seems to be better, but Overboard is still behind.

Also, it seems the stereotype of people from southern states having bad punctuation and grammar is true with your constant use of ellipsis's. Now THATS annoying.
    Wow you just project nothing but maturity. LMAO
    BTW genius, the plural form of ellipsis is ellipsEs. While it is not a commonly used word, what kind of idiot would actually think it was correct to use an 's when using the plural form of the word? But hey, apparently I'm just some southern dummy.

Has anyone figured out how to hide that obnoxious spotlight icon in Orbit?

Orbit 1.1 was submitted and its working great

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

You guys paid for something that is a complete ripoff of someone elses work. Not even coded from scratch, but stolen and added features. Good job on being behind the curve, guys.
    Agreed, overboard is a complete ripoff of orbit. But I dont think the code was stolen. I purchased orbit and still love it, ill wait for orbit 1.1 to be released before i post any review on how overboard outweighs it.

I'm not out to sway. Hell, I don;t need to. Orbit made 3000 dollars so far, and Overboard hasn't made 100. Orbit 1.1 was released, much improved, more features, quicker boot times. Weird, Orbit seems to be better, but Overboard is still behind.

Also, it seems the stereotype of people from southern states having bad punctuation and grammar is true with your constant use of ellipsis's. Now THATS annoying.
    Nice also stereotyping everyone from the south. Your a complete moron, you dont have to take it out on the south. :P
    Last edited by clikzip; 11-22-2009 at 07:11 AM.

I love Orbit initially.
    I love Overboard a bit more now.

Bought Orbit the day it arrived. Installed the 1.1 update today and found it hogged the Home buttons doubleclick, which I use 100x per day for iPod. With no way to adjust the settings, I had to uninstall. Then I bought Overboard and it works just fine for me.

Thanks to both developers. You are doing a great job and I'll continue to buy from both of you, as you make every day with the iPhone a bit better

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calvinbui View Post
    in my opinion, putting your apps in categories is more productive and organised.
    +1 agreed. Although these apps do have a "cool factor".
    kwickone I.T.H.

Too bad, I am switching over... Orbit 1.1 update is messed up. Constant trashing my iPod Touch 3G like every seconds. WTF

iPhone? More like MyPhone mister4stars's Avatar
    Thanks

springjumps work just fine for me... it's not like it's 50 pages or something.
    The General has landed

Extends Springboards page limit....I'm sold.

At least for me, no matter how good Overboard is, I just cant support someone who absolutely rips another app. It is obvious that he just copied what Steven had already done including the features Steven had included for 1.1...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have both Orbit 1.1 and Overboard 1.0 on my iPhone 3G. I found that Overboard is faster than Orbit. One feature that I like in Overboard is that you can have more than 11 Springboard pages.

Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    At least for me, no matter how good Overboard is, I just cant support someone who absolutely rips another app. It is obvious that he just copied what Steven had already done including the features Steven had included for 1.1...
    Quote Originally Posted by allenyee View Post
    I have both Orbit 1.1 and Overboard 1.0 on my iPhone 3G. I found that Overboard is faster than Orbit. One feature that I like in Overboard is that you can have more than 11 Springboard pages.
    @allenyee...agreed. I just ran out of space yesterday and wish I had found this before deleting some crap.

@ajl917...I'm with ya, but you gotta be on your toes in this game. He shouldn't be dicking around telling folks about the imporovements...sit down and code them! Esp on a paid app.

Also, it's faster and had customizable option in the menu of winterboard...pinch activation..home button association...these are things that Steven should have knocked out more quickly. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    @ajl917...I'm with ya, but you gotta be on your toes in this game. He shouldn't be dicking around telling folks about the imporovements...sit down and code them! Esp on a paid app.

Also, it's faster and had customizable option in the menu of winterboard...pinch activation..home button association...these are things that Steven should have knocked out more quickly. *shrugs*
    I see where youre coming from, but he made his possible changes public because he was keeping his CUSTOMERS updated, not his RIPPERS. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJh1vfwQ1ww]YouTube - Orbit 2.0 + Pinch - possible idea for future version of iPhone Expose/Spaces app[/ame] That video was posted on October 16th, and although Steven didnt release an update until November 22nd, that idea along with the rest of his app was blatantly ripped and hosted on November 21st...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Orbit was good, just like Installer was back in the day, but something better has come along. This is Orbit's "Cydia" replacement.

You guys are throwing a guy under the bus with unsubstantiated claims he stole code. What evidence is there that he did? His app is similar to Orbit? C'mon, this isn't the App Store.

All I care about is if the application works well and gives me options for customization.

I have used both Orbit and Overboard. Overboard loads well (about the same as Orbit upon the first load then it is as quick as Orbit each time thereafter) but has lots of options.

Press Home button to open app...check (can be turned off in settings)
    Pinch to open app...check (can be turned off in settings)
    Turn app icon on or off within app settings...check
    Turn search page on or off within app settings...check
    View dock within Overboard...check (can be turned off in settings)
    Select how many columns you can view (2/3/4)...check

Orbit does not give you settings options. Basically you get what is offered, take it or leave it.

I am leaving it. Overboard just offers more and pressing the home button to open it is exactly what I wanted from Orbit. Also this is much more efficient than springjumps. I don't have to add a bunch of springjump icons to my springboard pages increasing the icon count. Just click home button, select page and I am off. Works well with Springsorter too. My homepage has my favorite apps and starting with page two I use Springsorter to sort my apps based on how many times I use each. Works very well.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

>Overboard for sure<
    killall Terminal[]

Don't matter what anyone says. Overboard is the best

Whoever denies it either is illogical, hating, jealous or bitter... end of discussion

Might work for some but honestly I'd only be kidding myself if I said I prefered Orbit
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow im surprise to see so much support for Overboard, I mean I used it for like a day and I thought it was great but the pinch feature was stupid to me. Maybe I just wasn't doing it right but the icon on the dock is way better and as far as lag i dont have any at all yea im using a 3G S but the only time it has to load is when I respring or reboot but other than that its perfect. THEY ARE THE SAME THING!!! Except Obrit seems to be a lil cleaner visually

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast