+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Bricked' iPhone Owners Demand Source Code in Lawsuit

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to a story in Computerworld , plaintiffs in a lawsuit against Apple going back to October 2007 asked the judge on Wednesday to order the company to release the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'Bricked' iPhone Owners Demand Source Code in Lawsuit

According to a story in Computerworld, plaintiffs in a lawsuit against Apple going back to October 2007 asked the judge on Wednesday to order the company to release the source code to iPhone firmware update 1.1.1. The plaintiffs claim that the update was specifically designed to "brick," or render inoperable, any iPhone that had been unlocked.

The lawsuit alleges that Apple and AT&T violated state and federal antitrust laws by entering into a multi-year exclusive contract naming AT&T as the sole carrier in the United States, and preventing users from being able to unlock their phones for use on other networks. The plaintiffs seek an injunction against Apple to prevent the company from selling the iPhone with any software lock. They also want to force Apple to honor warranty service to users of unlocked iPhones and to allow iPhone users to get their phone service through other carriers than AT&T.

The lawsuit was originally filed after iPhone firmware release 1.1.1 permanently disabled many unlocked first-generation iPhones. When users of unlocked phones began the install, they received the following message:

Warning: Apple has discovered that some of the unauthorized unlocking programs available on the Internet may cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software. If you have modified your iPhone's software, applying this software update may result in your iPhone becoming permanently inoperable.
    The plaintiffs are asking to be given access to the iPhone 1.1.1 source code in order to figure out whether all iPhones were given the same update, or if the upgrade was specifically designed to disable some or all unlocked iPhones. According to their motion to the judge: "Unless Plaintiffs are given access to Version 1.1.1 source code, their ability to prove the size and scope of the Class affected by Version 1.1.1 will be severely compromised and unfairly prejudiced."

The plaintiffs are also trying to make the case a class-action lawsuit. If the judge grants that request - indicating that he believes that the plaintiffs represent a much larger group of people that have suffered a common injury - other iPhone users would be able to join the lawsuit.

image via Rehashed News
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 11-21-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: specifics on motion

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (11-21-2009)

Thanks

i dont c how 1.1.1 source code has anything 2 do with us now on 3.0
    can some1 explain it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

sounds like a good case

Thanks

What was the first fw for the iphone? When was unlocking the iphone first available?

Thanks

This mans working for unlockers I thank him
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

Thanks
    It has nothing to do with anyone that has 3.0 unless they own a phone was bricked when they upgraded from 1.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Even though I love someone bringing this to court, isin't this a little late? We're already on 3.1.2 FW...
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Thanks

People will sue for anything. I cant believe the things people go through over a cellular telephone. You would think it was a pacemaker.
    Lime

White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB

Rig Specs:
    Coolermaster Spartan Case
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Core i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz
    Batch 3839A586
    6 gigs OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-20 1600 @1.65
    EVGA GTX 285 (702/1323/1584)
    LG DVD/RW
    Logitech G15 Keyboard & G9 Laser Mouse
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Black
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (lapped) Dual TR 1600 Fans
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Modular

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default ?
    Its not about the firmware. Its about the fact that phones were bricked because they were unlocked. They are saying it was done maliciously and Apple is saying it wasn't. What I don't understand is if you were warned then why did you go through with it? It doesn't seem to me like Apple was keeping it a secret that the firmware may brick your phone. Someone correct me if I am talking out my arse.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mondo For This Useful Post:

Rota (11-21-2009), vanik08 (11-21-2009)

Thanks

its not too late...just cuz were on 3.0 dosn't mean what they did was right, dont be so narrow minded ppl, this lawsuits awsome and i hope they win

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Its not about the firmware. Its about the fact that phones were bricked because they were unlocked. They are saying it was done maliciously and Apple is saying it wasn't. What I don't understand is if you were warned then why did you go through with it? It doesn't seem to me like Apple was keeping it a secret that the firmware may brick your phone. Someone correct me if I am talking out my arse.
    exactly, not about the firmware
    Last edited by vanik08; 11-21-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Also let's not forget how long some things take to come to trial.

Thanks

They forgot to ask for a free lunch and a sundae for all those in the lawsuit as well.

Morons.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    What was the first fw for the iphone? When was unlocking the iphone first available?
    the first firmware was 1.0 then 1.0.1 - 1.0.2 - 2.0 - 2.0.1 - 2.0.2 - 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.2.1 - 3.0 - 3.0.1 - 3.1 - 3.1.2
    i believe all firmwares have been unlocked in one form or another.
    Last edited by robbpell; 11-21-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Thanks

Still a stupid lawsuit. If the phone wasnt unlocked by official unlocked software, then it was an illegal unlocking. If it was done legally it wouldnt be locked out.
    Lime

White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB

Rig Specs:
    Coolermaster Spartan Case
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Core i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz
    Batch 3839A586
    6 gigs OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-20 1600 @1.65
    EVGA GTX 285 (702/1323/1584)
    LG DVD/RW
    Logitech G15 Keyboard & G9 Laser Mouse
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Black
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (lapped) Dual TR 1600 Fans
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Modular

Thanks

hope the issue gets resolved
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with vanik08.
    This could have ramifications down the road;
    Especially when you consider the way Apple has been rolling out the OS and Itunes updates this year

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

unlocking your phone is NOT illegal morons, it voids your warranty like it states in your policy but IT IS NOT ILLEGAL.

Thanks

People should just STFU about the fact that apple and at&t signed a multiple year contract with each other. like seriously if you are dying to have the iphone on a network besides att move out of the US. Get the F**K over it.

As for this case. what are they really trying to prove. oooo we got the source code to firmware 1.1.1, what are you seriously going to do with it??
    The answer is, NOTHING!!!! most of the idiots who did bring this up were people who didnt know what they were doing when they unlocked their phones. and Updated to 1.1.1, yeah they physically update to 1.1.1, because these things dont just update themselves..

Thats just my point of view on this subject. Get over the fact that apple is with at&t already. everyones tired of hearing you complain. I mean truly, if you dont want to be on AT&T's network, dont pursue an iphone. its that easy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

this could be good or bad if apple wins they will start bricking phones for sport if these guys win it will be best for the jb unlock community all we can do is wait and see

Thanks

I may not have anything to do with 3.1.2 but it could prevent the same thing happening again in future updates. i wouldn't put it past Apple that's for sure.