+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Bricked' iPhone Owners Demand Source Code in Lawsuit

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
i also think it has some relevance, although it is 1.x.... depending upon the ruling, apple may be prevented to do the 'selective' updating, etc on the new iPhone updates...
    Green Apple
    Thanks

i also think it has some relevance, although it is 1.x.... depending upon the ruling, apple may be prevented to do the 'selective' updating, etc on the new iPhone updates...

asking for the source code, definitely will be the clincher, as it should point out if there was some kind of 'sniffer' of some sort to reference white/black lists before making inoperable.

i've been JB/UL since 1.x, but never really experienced a real 'bricked' situation, there was always some 'way' to get it back into DFU and PWN or something the IPSW....

i hope that the people win, so that apple can 'loosen' the chains a little... i mean whats the big deal - i think this is allowed because its a smartphone, if it was a laptop/desktop, there would be SERIOUS lawsuits... or maybe people wouldn't BUY them at ALL...

Thanks

let me ask this question. has anyones phone been bricked after unlocking and updating to a new firmware after the fact of 1.1.1, seriously. you are never hearing of people bricking an unlocked iphone by updating a firmware. since this firmware 1.1.1 was the cause of this, wouldnt u think they would put whatever bricks the phones in the following firmware files. or is this just a tease and put it in 1.1.1 and forget about it there after.

Thanks

Thanks^^^^^^^^so I started with the iphone 2.1{at the first firmware was 1.0 then 1.0.1 - 1.0.2 - 2.0 - 2.0.1 - 2.0.2 - (2.1) - 2.2 - 2.2.1 - 3.0 - 3.0.1 - 3.1 - 3.1.2}
    When did unlocking become easy to do? Cuz looking back at those utube vids seemed frustrating to unlock.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dajokeisonu's Avatar
    Thanks

That's ridiculous I think this is a good case you cant just screw up a phone someone purchased that's BS

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

I am the lead lead plantiff on this case. If anyone would like a copy of the deposition PM me. MMi was a hot topic in the questions.
    Thanks,

Timbo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    I am the lead lead plantiff on this case. If anyone would like a copy of the deposition PM me. MMi was a hot topic in the questions.
    Seriously? Post the depo up then
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

So just to sum it up for all those people who dont get what this law suit will do FOR THE JAILBREAKING COMMUNITY (if somebody already did this im sorry for a double post but i dont have time to read all the replys) is make it so that apple can not brick any unlocked iphone in the future.

This is the KEY part of the lawsuit

The lawsuit alleges that Apple and AT&T violated state and federal antitrust laws by entering into a multi-year exclusive contract naming AT&T as the sole carrier in the United States, and preventing users from being able to unlock their phones for use on other networks. The plaintiffs seek an injunction against Apple to prevent the company from selling the iPhone with any software lock. They also want to force Apple to honor warranty service to users of unlocked iPhones and to allow iPhone users to get their phone service through other carriers than AT&T.
    that will explain it all.... and if you dont understand... they are saying its illegal for apple to sign with JUST at&t and that the plantiff wants apple to NOT update the software to BRICK your unlocked/jailbroken iphone in the future (aka, "selective updates") this will help out the JB community in the long run and hopefully put a stop to apple trying to make jailbreaking illegal.

correct me if im wrong.

pretty sure thats all i have to say

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris102192 View Post
    People should just STFU about the fact that apple and at&t signed a multiple year contract with each other. like seriously if you are dying to have the iphone on a network besides att move out of the US. Get the F**K over it.

As for this case. what are they really trying to prove. oooo we got the source code to firmware 1.1.1, what are you seriously going to do with it??
    The answer is, NOTHING!!!! most of the idiots who did bring this up were people who didnt know what they were doing when they unlocked their phones. and Updated to 1.1.1, yeah they physically update to 1.1.1, because these things dont just update themselves..

Thats just my point of view on this subject. Get over the fact that apple is with at&t already. everyones tired of hearing you complain. I mean truly, if you dont want to be on AT&T's network, dont pursue an iphone. its that easy.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Rota
    Sounds like someone missed the point.

ya he really did miss the point...
    Last edited by Kluak; 11-22-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The fact that we're on 3.1.2 already doesn't matter. This is how long the US legal system takes.

If they won, they could have their way with any firmwire

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It is, indeed, funny because unlocking phones is illegal and Apple won't give the source code out. Never.

Thanks

From Geohot's twitter

@chronicdevteam also, the whole 1.1.1 thing is dumb, we screwed up when we caused the bricks, it wasn't apples fault at all
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Just saw that...funny

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
    People will sue for anything. I cant believe the things people go through over a cellular telephone. You would think it was a pacemaker.
    If Appl3 bricked your White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB wouldn't you be pissed!

Hope they win!

From

Area51

Thanks

If Apple did it most people would be p!ssed - but I quoted from GeoHot's twitter above and this is what MuscleNerd said on his Twitter:
    Last edited by confucious; 11-23-2009 at 12:31 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone tjlamro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Okay so I got an Iphone 3GS with the 5.11.07 FW and already has 3.1.2 (7D11) on it. I am currently resetting the iphone back to factory settings. After that I will be able to jailbreak it and then unlock it right? I use this to unlock it and jailbreak it differently right? Is there anywhere I can find a step by step process to do both so I do not mess it up? Thanks.

Thanks

Wrong thread for that...A quick forum search will point you in the right direction tho, or try the "Guides" section at the top of the page

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12