Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cisco Rolls Out iPhone Security App

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Cisco Rolls Out iPhone Security App

Cisco has introduced a new (and free) iPhone app chronicling the latest security threats and offering alerts from Cisco's enormous internet traffic and, most importantly, security experts (better than 500 in all) keeping on eye on the cyber dangers that loom large, occasionally unbeknown to us.

From CNET:
    The app also allows users to enter an IP address to determine a website or server's internet "reputation" -- an estimate of risk based on a variety of factors including traffic volume and location.
    Available for download beginning today, "SIO To Go" enables you to monitor a host of security news feeds, the most important of which is Cisco's Risk Report. Tossed into the mix are podcasts, Twitter feeds, and an array of blogs. From the looks of it, Cisco's app does, indeed, serve up a lot of "unique information" collected from Cisco's monitoring of more than 60% of the world's e-mail.

All in, the cross-referencing of data from multiple sources enables Cisco's app to present a "threat correlation" based on known and identified Internet attacks via spam or other nefarious mechanisms.

The app is designed for professionals and security geeks, not the average consumer, said Michael Weir, Cisco security marketing director.
    Although Cisco isn't promoting the app to the "average consumer," I can't help but view the app as worth having, even if you're not an IT person or a cyber security guru. The ability to enter an IP address or domain name to check the site's e-mail or web reputation score is a killer feature arguably practical for anyone accessing the internet.

Among the other simple, but much appreciated functions are the ability to review volume statistics, obtain data from Whois, and review terse summaries of a website's reputation.

Image via iPodnn
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 11-21-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks

What would Jesus do?
    EDM

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

^use an abacus.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool I will play with it

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I could see something like this being useful.... if Apple allowed you to run backgrounded apps that would fetch this information before loading a page.

Sadly it's an hour late and a dollar short. This type of app will have very little use to the average user who blindly clicks on links, which is even easier to do with the stock browser and an average sized finger.

While I'm not completely disregarding this application and any future uses, the fact that this can't run as a reactive system just doesn't make it that useful for most people.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

now someone need to develop a native security app to actually protect the phone...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    now someone need to develop a native security app to actually protect the phone...
    Check out Firewall iP.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Block/Manage Outgoing iPhone Connections Using Firewall iP

Finally I can monitor and choose the connections my phone would otherwise make silently in the background. Not quite full-featured security, but a great start.

I had to find the link myself!
    iTunes Store
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

i try to download it and it says not compatiable with ipod touch

Thanks

I jailbreak my iPhone. I think my security is already broken. I don't need that app to tell me.

Thanks

i try to download it and it says not compatiable with ipod touch
    lol thats funny cuz the screenshot is done with an ipod touch

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    What would Jesus do?
    i simply do the vulcan mind meld =/]

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    Check out Firewall iP.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Block/Manage Outgoing iPhone Connections Using Firewall iP

Finally I can monitor and choose the connections my phone would otherwise make silently in the background. Not quite full-featured security, but a great start.
    yeah i bought this today. been messing around w/ it a bit. i wish it would give more information about what the sites are that you can enable/disable. some that would popup were completly unclear as to what it does for the app. some were even just ip addresses and nothing else.

still a good start though. the author is quite nice and responds quickly.
    Last edited by rhekt; 11-21-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

i'll prob give it a try..it's just that it sounds like a whole lot of work to use this app. i feel like i'll be more worried about what sites i'm visiting and spend less time having fun on it. :/