Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thieves Steal 3,000,000 of iPhones in Belgium

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Thieves Steal 2,000,000 of iPhones in Belgium

In a daring heist, thieves took anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 iPhones from a warehouse in Belgium, with a street value of up to 2 million euro, or $3 million US. The robbers may be foiled, however: wireless carrier Mobistar, for whom the phones were intended, say they have a list of all the serial numbers and that they will block the phones from accessing their network.

The thieves climbed a fire ladder to the roof of a warehouse owned by CEVA Logistics, a Netherlands-based logistics company in Willebroek, Belgium. They then cut a hole in the roof of the large building directly above where the iPhones were located. Reports in the De Standaard newspaper suggested the thieves knew about iPhone delivery and storage location details, and that the robbery may have been an inside job.

Mobistar, which has had problems keeping the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS in stock, is reportedly in an urgent search for more devices before inventory runs low. With the holiday season coming, the breakin could prove costly to the carrier's business. Mobistar has prepared for a large number of devices coming onto the black market by blocking them from accessing the Mobistar network. However, the strong likelihood is that these phones will be unlocked before they are sold.

Police say they have no leads.

image from Gizmodo
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 11-17-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: 2 million, 3 million, pretty soon it adds up to real money

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly what I was thinking, unlock them and I think it would be very difficult to have any traceability...

Good times

They'll end up here in Germany for sure....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

actually they would be traceable..
    here in egypt we trace mobile phones by their IMEI numbers.. so if they know their IMEI numbers they could trace the phones when they are used on any network.. they just need this specific network's assistance and help

Thanks

wow that's a **** move!

I don't like thieves.
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Thanks

Give it a few days, they'll start showing up on eBay, and people will place ridiculous bids within the last 3 minutes (double that if it says "unlocked 3.1.2").
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

H-U-G-E.

Just huge.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

oh come on, they'll be IMEI barred in a few days with all carriers, and I even bet the iTunes server will be notified that they're stolen and won't activate them. Making them nothing more than an iPod Touch.

Mmmm.... Now I wonder if the iTune server and do a trace on them upon activation as they have GPS! May have to keep an eye on this story.

Ahahaha! That's hilarious! Thank god Mobistar blocked the phones otherwise there would have been a REAL crisis!
    Does Mobistar seriously think the robbers are going to personally use 4,000 different iPhones?

Lmao I luv this!!
    Normally thieves are retarded, but not here! Maybe they can give me a couple

Ok... so were can I get one of these phones???!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    H-U-G-E.

Just huge.
    thats what she said

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ifonemaniac For This Useful Post:

whereswaldo (11-17-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by symondavis View Post
    oh come on, they'll be IMEI barred in a few days with all carriers, and I even bet the iTunes server will be notified that they're stolen and won't activate them. Making them nothing more than an iPod Touch.

Mmmm.... Now I wonder if the iTune server and do a trace on them upon activation as they have GPS! May have to keep an eye on this story.
    Actually that's not true.. you don't need iTunes to activate. That's why we have pwnagetool to activate the phones. This is assuming they've been unlocked though. These phones could be sold around the world though so who knows how this will end up.
    Last edited by hollow0; 11-17-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

BADASS!!!!! straight up movie sheeit!! These guys R ASSOME!!! nobody would pull a job like this for any other phone!! not even the new suckass Droid!! iPhone is the SHIZNIT!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ifonemaniac View Post
    thats what she said
    lol!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    Lmao I luv this!!
    Normally thieves are retarded, but not here! Maybe they can give me a couple
    What's to love about it this? I guess it's different when someone breaks into your house and steals your iPhone, computer, TV's, stereos, etc, then it sucks, right?
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ifonemaniac View Post
    thats what she said
    hahahahaha! Rofl!

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

After doing some searching, there is supposedly a program out there to change the Imei of your iphone.
    Not sure how reliable this is but here is the link.
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Change Your iPhone IMEI with ZiPhone (Windows)

Additionally, from all appearances, these guys were very well organized in their execution, and quite possibly have all of their bases covered such as; (shipping to another country, changing imei or s/n).

I doubt these will show up on ebay, but if they are delivered to a country with a huge black market for iphones I very seriously doubt they will be recovered.

Any takers?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

With BlackRa1n, these phones can be jailbroken and unlocked within a week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post
    After doing some searching, there is supposedly a program out there to change the Imei of your iphone.
    Not sure how reliable this is but here is the link.
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Change Your iPhone IMEI with ZiPhone (Windows)

Additionally, from all appearances, these guys were very well organized in their execution, and quite possibly have all of their bases covered such as; (shipping to another country, changing imei or s/n).

I doubt these will show up on ebay, but if they are delivered to a country with a huge black market for iphones I very seriously doubt they will be recovered.

Any takers?
    The Ziphone method to change your IMEI is useless now. It only worked with 1.xx firmware. It's practically impossible to change your IMEI with the new basebands/firmware. Dev-team gave up on it a long time ago. It's probably due to the fact that messing with this can get you in trouble with the feds.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

hancoma (11-17-2009)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast