Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Computer Screening to Blame for Inconsistent App Rejections?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Computer Screening to Blame for Inconsistent App Rejections?

This could explain a lot.

It seems the folks at Apple may be using a special computer screening technology to filter App Store submissions.

Macnn.com covered the report by Daring Fireball blogger John Gruber, who suggests that Apple may have expanded its iPhone app review process to include computerized filtering.

The new "static analysis tools" are designed to catch developers trying to use Apple's private APIs, which the iPhone SDK terms explicitly prohibits.
    Some, of course, are taking this report to explain why so many apps may have been rejected in recent months for somewhat nonsensical reasons. The inference, needless to say, is that Apple may use this alleged computer filtering process to a much greater degree than anyone realizes.

But before we all get the idea that Apple has abolished any human involvement in the app screening process, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. If such a "filter" really does exist, such technology is probably utilized purely for security concerns at Apple.

Apple is believed to restrict use of private APIs because of security concerns or compatibility issues if the features have yet to be finalized. The company has been known to leave the rule unenforced, however, as many apps have been approved even with private APIs.
    Should any of us really be surprised that Apple may be using a computerized filtering process? With more than one-hundred thousand applications already in the App Store and no telling how many more submissions are planned for 2010, at some point Apple has to invoke as many automated filters as possible both for our sake and the good of developers who are already complaining that the screening process takes far too long to complete.
    The automated filtering process is expected to help the company quickly spot violators of the SDK. It remains unclear if the rules will be strictly enforced, or if a certain amount of flexibility will remain.
    image via gamezville.net

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

I've considered something like this for a while... there are so many apps already in the store as strict as they are, there's just no telling how many are submitted (but I'd be willing to bet at least twice the amount that make it through are rejected.

Regardless, Apple makes powerful software. I'm sure the accuracy on this filtering system is probably pretty close to what it would be if it was done by hand.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

Figures

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
    (but I'd be willing to bet at least twice the amount that make it through are rejected.
    Where were you when Apple came out and said they accept about 94% of all applications submitted?

By the way...OLDEST PICTURE EVER in OP's post. I think I see the original Installer icon :3

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

automated like a slot machine

Not all or every part of the process is automated. I have apps that have been denied for having the "+" button (which is supposed to be used for adding addresses) in my app to add non-address/contact related info to my view. So this probably was done manually.

Quote Originally Posted by tallnatt View Post
    Not all or every part of the process is automated. I have apps that have been denied for having the "+" button (which is supposed to be used for adding addresses) in my app to add non-address/contact related info to my view. So this probably was done manually.
    Are you kidding me?! That is fµcking RIDICULOUS. I am really losing a lot of respect for Apple.

Thanks

I'm not too surprised by this, but Apple needs to make a change in their reviewing and policies.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Man, I'd be pissed if I spent a lot of time making an app just to have it denied without even being looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by henson View Post
    Man, I'd be pissed if I spent a lot of time making an app just to have it denied without even being looked at.
    You'd have no one but yourself to be mad at. It would be YOUR fault for not reading over the app submission guidelines and not realizing which APIs were public and which were private.

By the way, the Flash smiley or whatever you were trying to post didn't show up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Clearly they didn't do a good job filtering out when the iMobster guy took peoples cell numbers. People who are you kidding. What's stopping apple from having all your info its not like they write the scripts. oh waitt.. it is.

makes sense yeah?....so many apps..so little time/
    killall Terminal[]

The solution seems simple...

It seems any app that mentions the word "Fart" or makes far noises gets approved, so just mention "Fart" somwhere in the code, or add a sound file for a fart!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LightManca For This Useful Post:

A666R (05-08-2010)