+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Tweetie 2 For The iPhone Worth The Excitement?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I just might slap the next person who tells me how excited they are about Tweetie 2, for it was all I heard about this weekend. Not helping my exposure
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Is Tweetie 2 For The iPhone Worth The Excitement?

I just might slap the next person who tells me how excited they are about Tweetie 2, for it was all I heard about this weekend. Not helping my exposure to the new iPhone app was all the surprising attention it has been given in the last few days, including an expansive profile in the New York Daily News.

Twitter was designed with cell phones in mind, but it's a whole other ballgame on the iPhone. Thanks to a host of tweet-smart applications, Apple's handheld is a micro-blogging marvel. iPhone software developers take note: Tweetie 2 is full of features every other app needs to steal.
    Although I haven't been bitten by the Twitter bug to the painful extent to which some of my friends have, I must still confess that Tweetie 2 for the iPhone is pretty impressive, although somewhat stalkerish.

Among the features rolled out in the new $2.99 app include:
    • GPS integration
    • URL shortening
    • One-touch access to a username search
    • Add Twitter friends to iPhone contacts
    • Translator functionality for foriegn Tweet-ups
    • Easy switching between multiple Twitter accounts

Although TweetDeck for the iPhone has been the only Twitter-based iPhone app that I have remotely been able to get into, Tweetie 2, while not its first day on the market, has gained considerable momentum in the last 48 hours, and I have to admit that I can see why.

Tweetie 2 is, indeed, pretty cool, but primarily because the iPhone makes it possible. In this sense, Tweetie 2 is strikingly impressive. Not only does it offer a variety of features not available on the original site, it portends favorably for a host of other developments that you can almost smell on the horizon for future updates.

The app does just about everything except make dull tweets seem witty; but, hey, maybe they'll solve that problem with Tweetie 3.
    Image via New York Daily News

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (11-16-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

interesting features, but I wouldn't change my tweetdeck iPhone app, luv it now that they integrate facebook video/photo uploads on a very nice GUI

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I still can't believe that out of the dozens of Twitter apps only a handful support push notification.

I'm using Twitterific and Boxcar, and it's nice, but it'd be better if push was actually native in a Twitter app.

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkoNova For This Useful Post:

robbyyy (11-19-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoNova View Post
    I'm using Twitterific and Boxcar, and it's nice, but it'd be better if push was actually native in a Twitter app.

Matt
    Echofon (formerly Twitterfon) does that, and it's the only Twitter client I use (didn't like Tweetdeck or Twitteriffic all that much.) Also, it's kinda cool how it syncs with a Firefox plugin so that each knows where you left off reading tweets and automatically scrolls to that point.

It's not a perfect sync, and the push support for Echofon is spotty at best, but it's not too bad and often works very well.

I've heard a lot of people talk about how awesome Tweetie is, but I don't know if I really want to move away from Echofon right now. It does everything I need it to and works great.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiserai For This Useful Post:

VenomousSVT (11-16-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kiserai View Post
    Echofon (formerly Twitterfon) does that, and it's the only Twitter client I use (didn't like Tweetdeck or Twitteriffic all that much.) Also, it's kinda cool how it syncs with a Firefox plugin so that each knows where you left off reading tweets and automatically scrolls to that point.

It's not a perfect sync, and the push support for Echofon is spotty at best, but it's not too bad and often works very well.

I've heard a lot of people talk about how awesome Tweetie is, but I don't know if I really want to move away from Echofon right now. It does everything I need it to and works great.
    i agree about echofon... i use the paid version of it and like it a lot... i have tweetie 2 as well and i do like some of its features too though. There are pros and cons to every one of these twitter apps but i like push on echofon and i like being able to skin echfone and run the dark theme.. i dont like light colored apps i prefer dark themes.

Thanks

twittelator pro is the best ive used. ive tried them all. it doesnt have push but its seemingly endless options make up for it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thu6 For This Useful Post:

robbyyy (11-19-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm still a big fan of Echofon. I'll probably give this one a try, but we'll see. I wasn't impressed by TweetDeck (iPhone or Mac).
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish they would give trials

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

What a great stalking app.

Thanks
    lol SxEPhil

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I have been using Tweetie 2 for awhile now, and its really great.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

it seems everyone has their own personal preference when it comes to twitter apps. for me nothing will replace tweetdeck, the simple, easy to use UI and consistency across my iphone, my macs and my windows machines is great. to each his own.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone49er's Avatar
    Thanks

Tweetie 2 is my favorite app by far. And I've tried to look for a replacement for it but to no avail. I always keep coming back to it. I don't know how much money I've dropped on Twitter apps. Tweetie 2 just does things simple and right. Every feature you're looking for are just a tap or two away.

Every other app I've tried seems to lack an essential feature, or just doesn't run as smoothly, or is just a plain eyesore.
    If I had a a choice, i would make a change or two to Tweetie, but overall it's the most complete Twitter app in the market.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I must be the only one that doesn't use twitter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I must be the only one that doesn't use twitter
    Nope, me neither...I mean, facebook is more than enough for me...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colorado Steve's Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing I don't like about Tweetie 2 is when I load it, it stays at my last read. That could be a couple of hours ago. I have to scroll all the top to read new tweets. Is there a way to make it start at the top instead of at the last tweet read?

iPhone? More like MyPhone salayyad's Avatar
    Thanks

i got tweetie 2 i practically used them all but tweetie just seemed the cleanest, quickest and had all the features i want... i dont want push on my twitter app ill check in every so often to see whats up thats about it. i use it mostly just to follow news and ****.

Thanks

I LOVE JESUS!!! its the best app...err twitterific
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Tweetie 2 is the truth! I've used countless apps & for me it's the best.
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Twitter seems stupid to me.