+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store Cracks Under Pressure... Again

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Last week we covered the decision by Apple to reject a submitted iPhone app from Tom Richmond, an artist for MAD Magazine who crafted " Bobble Rep ," a functional
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default App Store Cracks Under Pressure... Again

Last week we covered the decision by Apple to reject a submitted iPhone app from Tom Richmond, an artist for MAD Magazine who crafted "Bobble Rep," a functional database of every elected member of Congress, their contact info, and, instead of a photo, a unique caricature of each Congressperson and Senator.

Unlike most rejected apps that largely go unnoticed, the rejection of "Bobble Rep" was noticed. Widely noticed, in fact. And likely as a result of all the negative attention, Apple decided this weekend to overturn its decision to ban "Bobble Rep" from the App Store.

The app is now available for download on iTunes for $0.99. From PC World today:

The tale of Bobble Rep-app is submitted, app is rejected, controversy ensues, app is accepted-is a remarkably common one on the App Store. Yes, I know that the fast majority of programs submitted are quietly accepted without incident. But of the ones that are initially nixed, a high percentage seem to make it into the store eventually.
    "I'm glad Apple came to their senses," Richmond reacted, who earlier had blasted Apple on his blog. Richmond expressed gratitude that Apple finally "realized that this app is not only not derogatory or insulting to our congressional representatives and senators, it's a beneficial program and a little fun as well."

From CNN to FOX news, "Bobble Rep" is getting a lot of attention this weekend. Not bad for the developer and Apple, as both will now likely be able to ring the register on the controversy that resulted from a now-overturned decision to ban the app last week.

The only question now is that since the App Store continues to prove time and again that it cracks under public pressure, will Apple face a considerably larger backlash from developers in the future who, once their apps are rejected, will similarly cry foul to the media in hopes of stirring up a national controversy too?

Image via CNN Money

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

[quote]Richmond expressed gratitude that apple finally realized[\quote]

lol, no silly. Apple just murdered a company and left the bloody body laying in court, ran through three straight weeks of bad press about big brother an the app approvals, and you just happened to be in the perfect spot for a charity pass.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

applepear (11-15-2009), b3nny (11-15-2009)

Thanks

this would be awesome if we got apple to crack for open development lol

Thanks

Hope this will overturn some of the banned apps and open more freedom. And why are we getting political crap for the iPhone and iPod touch?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If the App Store approval process weren't so asinine to begin with Apple wouldn't have this problem, Developers wouldn't be decrying the whole process and none of this would be news.

Think it's time for Apple to wake up and make some serious changes in the submission process?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottjl For This Useful Post:

b3nny (11-15-2009), Rota (11-15-2009)

Thanks

sounds like a waste of space on my phone. why do people even develop this junk. unless they have pipe dreams of making it rich on a worthless app.
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

whether or not it is a good app shouldn't matter as long as we get to choose if we want it I don't want this app but I do want this and every other app available to me

My iPhone is a Part of Me exNavy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    sounds like a waste of space on my phone. why do people even develop this junk. unless they have pipe dreams of making it rich on a worthless app.
    Tell us what you have on your phone? I bet there are people who think you have worthless apps on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,105 Times in 2,700 Posts

AppStore, the new reality show. blah...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    It's called having a choice what we do and don't want. Something Apple has been increasingly dictatorial about here lately. Why does Apple care who thinks it's crap and offensive even though it's not? Every copy that sells they make commission off it so it's a mutual benefit if they allow things like this. Apps like the Hilter thing can be justified by a business not wanting to be associated with that kind of controversy, but censorship of a cartoony app about the leaders of our country is just plain stupid and flies in the face of the hypocritical slogan Apple used to use. 'Think different' has become 'We'll tell you what to think and you'll go along with it.' I'm buying this app simply because it's informative without being boring. Worth a dollar to me. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean others might not be interested. How many apps have you created and submitted to Apple? I'm guessing zero.