Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook for iPhone App Developer Quits, Blaming Apple

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Facebook for iPhone App Developer Quits, Blaming Apple

Joe Hewitt, the programmer behind the most popular offering on the iTunes App Store, is moving back to being a web developer, and cites Apple's review process as the reason he wants to stop working on apps. Hewitt had tweeted that he is quitting development on the Facebook for iPhone app, and told TechCrunch that Apple's "gatekeeper" approach to the App Store was entirely responsible for his decision to quit.

My decision to stop iPhone development has had everything to do with Apple’s policies. I respect their right to manage their platform however they want, however I am philosophically opposed to the existence of their review process. I am very concerned that they are setting a horrible precedent for other software platforms, and soon gatekeepers will start infesting the lives of every software developer.

The web is still unrestricted and free, and so I am returning to my roots as a web developer. In the long term, I would like to be able to say that I helped to make the web the best mobile platform available, rather than being part of the transition to a world where every developer must go through a middleman to get their software in the hands of users.
    Hewitt has been long an outspoken critic of App Store policies. In an August blog post titled “Innocent until proven guilty,” he had asserted that “the review process needs to be eliminated completely,” and that the review process was about "lawyers, not quality."
    Apple does not have the means to perform thorough quality assurance on any app. This is up to the developer. We have our own product managers and quality assurance testers, and we are liable to our users and the courts if we do anything evil or stupid. Apple may catch a few shallow bugs in the review process, but let's face it, the real things they are looking for are not bugs, but violations of the terms of service.
    Hewitt is well-known in the developer community for being on the team that created the Firefox browser and for his work on the Firebug development plugin. He remains at Facebook, but says he can't comment on his next project.

While there has been much criticism of Apple's strict control of what apps can and cannot go on the App Store, it may be that this rebuke from such a prominent developer may spur action by Apple... or lead to the defection of more and more developers to other platforms.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Apple won't care

I'm sure they will care - but whether they care enough to do anything about it is what matters. I somehow doubt it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Apple won't care
    Agreed. But the man is right, they aren't looking for bugs.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

WTF? So no push for Facebook?

Ef you Apple.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post

Ef you Apple.

He has handed it to another developer. It may take a bit longer now but it will be available someday

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

i would quit too!!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Good for you for standing up for what you believe!

GeoHot and now Hewitt?! i must say there are some incredible ppl out there with amazing integrity.. kudos to these guys

Isn't this the exact reason for publishing on cydia?

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post

Ef you Apple.
    Until then, just use something like Boxcar.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

This guy is a hero in my book. Right on.

Yeah, while i cant disagree with the guy, now that 2 (semi)comprable phones are running Android OS, its not like choices are unavailable. If he truly is AGAINST Apple, it seems like he would move to Android and create some kickass applications there.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Apple won't care
    What about AppleCare?

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

he seems like a bit of a cry baby imo.
    its apples app store, not his. he should take his app back home to play by himself if he does not like it.
    Apple is one the most succesful US companies around. there is a reason for that.

Thanks

Someone tell that guy about Cydia!

If you quit this simple project then your a failure. God Hates You!. Every Society has rules and restrictions. Stiffen up your good boy ego and deliver what you promised.

Thanks

Apple is chasing everybody away.

Thanks

Hotz and Hewitt are standing up for what they believe and not caring about money but principles and ethics. Unfortunately, the bills still need to be paid. if he didn't like apple thing, he could have ranted and published on cydia programs etc he believed in.
    Last edited by mikerlx; 11-13-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks

seriously apple needs to get there "Stuff" together
    Semper Fidelis

United States Marine Corps

OORAH

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i could care less who does the work as long as it gets released and its in working order lol

but the original dev has done a great job so far, hate to see him leave the project for some apple reasons, which seems to be an on going issue.

facebook should just meet up with the jailbreakers and release a full blown unlimited version on cydia lol

someone contact him?
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast