+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New $99 iPhone to Be Verizon-Only?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Mobile chip manufacturer Qualcomm announced today that they are working on a dual CDMA/UMTS chip that would allow the same phone to operate on carriers using either standard. Recent reports
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New $99 iPhone to Be Verizon-Only?

Mobile chip manufacturer Qualcomm announced today that they are working on a dual CDMA/UMTS chip that would allow the same phone to operate on carriers using either standard. Recent reports have suggested that Apple is readying a new dual-mode "worldphone" that could work on Verizon Wireless's CDMA network in the US.

Contrary to the announcement, an analyst - citing his own sources within the company - says that Qualcomm would not be able to deliver the hybrid chip anytime in the coming year. The report that was detailed by GigaOm last week said Verizon was readying an "iPhone nano" for launch in the third quarter of 2010. Ashok Kumar, an analyst with Northeast Securities, told AppleInsider that it would be impossible for Apple to release a dual-mode iPhone until 2011 at the earliest. Kumar noted that in order for them to be able to start shipping the new device in the summer of 2010, a prototype would have to be undergoing field trials already, and "they're nowhere near that," he said.

Technically I think it will be a stretch to have both UMTS and CDMA, because not only do you have hardware issues in terms of the baseband, but also software issues. Eventually they will probably get there [with the iPhone], but that's probably a 2011 story, not a 2010 story.
    Instead, Kumar says he thinks that it's much more likely that Apple would release a CDMA-only version of the iPhone that would be specifically made for Verizon Wireless, and that would go on sale in the second half of next year.

The GigaOm report said a Verizon-compatible "worldmode" iPhone would launch by the third quarter of 2010, and that it would work with on both CDMA/EVDO networks like Verizon's and and UMTS networks like AT&T's. Qualcomm's press release said that the company would be launching new chips that would support HSPA and 3G and LTE chipsets in the second half of 2010, but Kumar asserts that the technology isn't currently available and, further, that any new chips would have a very high cost.

"It's very likely they're trying to hit a low price point, maybe a $99 price point," Kumar said about the rumored phone, which is in line with what was reported by GigaOm.

image via The Inquisitr
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 11-12-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: image credit

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

MrJayRizzie (11-12-2009), romeo_herman (11-12-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Oh, Goodness, I hope so. ATT is so horrible in San Francisco. I've been thinking about givening up my iphone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

I go to Verizon now...now..now....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After all of that "Everything iDon't, Droid does" advertising, it doesn't seem to likely.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Hmm, I'm wondering what the Android-based phones will have evolved into by then.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I highly doubt this is fact..
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

geisha67 (11-15-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Enough with the speculations already. It is a well worn path.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by choffy21 View Post
    After all of that "Everything iDon't, Droid does" advertising, it doesn't seem to likely.
    It's just business, and Apple knows that. The "Droid does" ad campaign will not affect Apple's decision to go to Verizon. When they're ready, they will.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks

even though its going to be "world phone" I'm still not thrill that they're locking it down to Verizon only.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

I am ready not sure about the nano part I like my screen size but we will see what happens lets get it out of the rumor mill and into real production

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygrrl View Post
    Oh, Goodness, I hope so. ATT is so horrible in San Francisco. I've been thinking about givening up my iphone.
    I had the best service with tmobile. I lived in the dorms on nob hill and always had service even in the basement.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

oh goodie! another rumor...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Hmm, I'm wondering what the Android-based phones will have evolved into by then.
    we now apple is one step behind on some features that other smart phones have but I'm pretty sure by the time this happens, and if it happens there will be a new iPhone with more features, but everything droid does so does my iPhone
    that's why we jailbreak
    and I really have no complains about Att

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well, if this is rumor or not Pogue had this to say about Verizon.....

Verizon: How Much Do You Charge Now?

By DAVID POGUE

Starting next week, Verizon will double the early-termination fee for smartphones. That is, if you get a BlackBerry, Android or similar phone from Verizon, and you decide to switch phones before your two-year contract is up, you'll be socked with a $350 penalty (it used to be $175).

This fee drops slowly over time ($10 a month), but after two years, it's still $110. If the premise of the early-termination fee is to help Verizon recoup its original cost of the phone (see my analysis here How Much It Costs to Upgrade to an iPhone 3G S - Pogue’s Posts Blog - NYTimes.com), shouldn't the fee go down to zero at the end of your contract?

This move doesn't help Verizon's reputation for steep pricing and aggressive gouging.
    Last edited by trilogy069; 11-12-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone brotherbond007's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope THEY NEVER make the iPhone for Verizon, NEVER. EVER!! I HOPE APPLE NEVER make products that could be even hacked for use by those blood suckin fu@kers. I HATE VERIZON.. UCK'em.. arrogant bastards.

yes, its personal.
    Black iPhone 4 iOS4 AT&T

The iPhone 4 "my precious" - Gollum

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

*EDIT* would not like the amounts Verizon wants to start charging if they are going to...

I can't help myself... if I could jump on Verizon right this minute I would pay my way out in a heart beat! This year in Florida my service is just awful and I mean awful!

I like At&t just not where I am at right now.... supposed to get a new tower in Jan so we will see...
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 11-12-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: at&t - verizon who knows?

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbond007 View Post
    I hope THEY NEVER make the iPhone for Verizon, NEVER. EVER!! I HOPE APPLE NEVER make products that could be even hacked for use by those blood suckin fu@kers. I HATE VERIZON.. UCK'em.. arrogant bastards.

yes, its personal.
    You do know that, ohh, since a couple of years ago, Verizon stopped touching smartphone OS's....Right?

I'm guessing that you still think that PC's have blue screens....

Thanks

Verizon's and and UMTS
    lil mistake there

i think its kinda funny apple couldn't decide so they put both how nice lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by choffy21 View Post
    Right... I kind of like the island of misfit toys commercial though :P

Thanks

cant wait im sick and tired of all these dropped calls .. and sh!tty coverage!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos916 For This Useful Post:

MrJayRizzie (11-12-2009)