+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Malware Allows Access to Jailbroken iPhones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
makes complete sense that this came out, why would anyone be running the default password? it really isn't smart to be walking around day to day with openssh running and
    iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

makes complete sense that this came out, why would anyone be running the default password? it really isn't smart to be walking around day to day with openssh running and with the default password alpine.
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

i just pulled out my ipod touch and changed my password . The latest update of openssh should have a prompt to change the password in it to eliminate this risk!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suicidesam View Post
    I think i've been breached...I can't change the password it won't let me type in alpine
    are you typing in "passwd" before trying to type alpine?
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    To change your Root Password:

D: Once you have logged in as root, type ‘passwd’ command (without quotes) and ‘alpine’ (without quotes) as your current root password, and press enter.
    the instructions fall apart at this point and can use additional clarification for us non technophiles.

Update - got the instructions from Cydia as suggested previously in this thread - much easier to follow.
    Last edited by twitchthecat; 11-11-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks

The bigger picture is that jailbreaking and unlocking is vulnerable. Besides turning ssh off and changing the password is limit putting personal information on your iphone.

^True some of my friends have never even opened cydia and done any complete upgrades and have been talking on the phone and using the iphone without exploring any features. Some of my friends unlocked there iphone in 2007 and have never updated firmware.
    Last edited by mikerlx; 11-11-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo_herman View Post
    The right one is here....

The easy way to change the root password is
    install mobile terminal from Cydia
    after finish install press home button to go back to Home screen
    look for mobile terminal then open
    type "su" (without quote)press return
    then password "alpine" (without quote)press return
    now you are logging as root
    type "passwd" (without quote)press return
    type your new password/press return
    retype your new password/press return

That's it

after the instruction try to log in on winSCP then enter password "alpine"
    the system will deny it, just type your new password.
    hope it help.
    If help please press thanks button.

Finish change password you can uninstall mobile terminal on your phone.

Good bye hackers....

P99
    Thanks
    When the "lockscreen virus" came out, I changed my password using the directions in Cydia's home screen ("Copying Files to/from Device" & "OpenSSH Access How-To"). They were easy to follow and my iPhone is now more secure.

Thanks
    Is there a USB file transfer method available for PC since iPhone browser doesn't work anymore?
    The only thing that threatens my humanity... is, none other than, reality.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Default We can change all
    Everybody who has changed the "root" password, must change the "mobile" password also, ( please try open ssh winSCP, using user name : mobile (not root) and type password alpine ) If you still can get into ssh, so you must change the mobile password also....

Thanks

Ok people...this whole thing with changing your passwords and freaking out about the open ssh hacking is ridiculous. Just install SBSettings from Cydia. This app allows you to simply swipe across the status bar and open a menu that let's you toggle all kinds of functions, there amongst - OpenSSH. Simply tap SSH and your phone is unavailable for ssh connections. Whenever you might want to use ssh, just do the same again and then disable ssh again when you're done whatever you wanted to do. Hopes this makes things easier for some people...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

password changed

Thanks

I dont know how to use terminal can someone please help me. When you type is it suppose to be just a black screen, because when i follow all the steps nothing happens, nothing to let me know if it worked or not. Is that normal?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Ok people...this whole thing with changing your passwords and freaking out about the open ssh hacking is ridiculous. Just install SBSettings from Cydia. This app allows you to simply swipe across the status bar and open a menu that let's you toggle all kinds of functions, there amongst - OpenSSH. Simply tap SSH and your phone is unavailable for ssh connections. Whenever you might want to use ssh, just do the same again and then disable ssh again when you're done whatever you wanted to do. Hopes this makes things easier for some people...
    Make sure you do this every time the phone resprings or reboots. It automatically starts. Unless its just my iphone

Thanks

how many times do we all have to re-explain how to change root password? OK ONE MORE TIME:

mobile terminal
    su
    alpine
    paswd
    new password
    new password
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vedavis View Post
    Even though I have SSH off in SBSettings, I installed MobileTerminal anyway, but it keeps crashing before I get a prompt. I've read other places that the app has not been updated in a while and has problems on 3.1.2. True?
    true, for me at least. I could not get mobile terminal to work
    for a while after blackra1n RC1 on 3.1.2. After a restore and re-break (courtesy of the sucky Rock app) with RC2, mobile terminal works fine for me now.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    how many times do we all have to re-explain how to change root password? OK ONE MORE TIME:

mobile terminal
    su
    alpine
    paswd
    new password
    new password
    Sorry, could you explain that a bit more clearly

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Changing your password in winSCP
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsizzle View Post
    im a hardcore idiot when it comes to this ...how do i go about changing my password in winSCP?
    In winSCP there is a little black & white icon up top representing a terminal, use that and enter the same commands from there as if you were using Mobile Terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Read the first post at the bottom for instructions. It's done with mobile terminal which is downloaded from Cydia.
    The question by ramsizzle was how to change it with winSCP. I'm sure he can read the article but the article gives directions for doing it with Mobile Terminal. ramsizzle probably has his own reasons for not using mobile terminal. I have already replied to his post giving him instructions on doing the same thing with winSCP.

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post

mobile terminal
    su
    alpine
    paswd
    new password
    new password
    WRONG.
    No wonder you have to keep repeating yourself. The command you gave is just WRONG!
    the passwd command has 2 s' in it.
    Last edited by jedized; 11-12-2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

You forgot to mention that you'll need to type in your current password (alpine) after the step "type su root at the shell prompt and tap enter".
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks

i cant get mobile terminal to work. when i install it and open it on my springboard, it goes to a screen with half black and half keyboard. the key presses dont work, nothing happens even if i type in the correct commands, and all i can do is hold my finger int he black area and a popup menu appears which is also useless. btw i am on a 8gb 2g 3.1.2 att not unlocked or hacktivated, jb'ed using blackrain. any ideas, i tried to use the terminal in winscp but it kept freezing

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm actually really surprised that this sort of thing is coming out just now. When I installed SSH and found out there's a default password, I switched it out right away.

There just hasn't been any urgency towards doing that, though. It seems really amateur that very few people have been informed about the importance of changing their passwords from a default. Even the initial install of the SSH module should have prompted the user for a password or something.