Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's First Patriotic App Rejection?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple's First Patriotic App Rejection?

Some aren't sure what to make of the App Store's decision to reject what would have been a cool "Mad Libs"-style app for the iPhone. But Apple isn't willing to share the laughs with this one. And because they can't, neither can we.

Perhaps Lex Friendman at MacWorld put it best:

Try this one on for size: Apple on [day] rejected an iPhone app devoted to [phrase] for [ridiculous reason]. This time, the answers are "Monday," "contacting your Congressional representatives," and "including caricatures of all 540 members of both houses of Congress, which Apple has deemed offensive."
    Although some are saying the App Store's decision to reject the app was "patriotic" because the company doesn't want to encourage the mockery of elected leaders in the United States, others think the App Store had less noble reasons... like just following "policy."

Tom Richmond, who serves as an artist for MAD Magazine, broke the news on his blog about Apple shooting down the app he and entrepreneur Ray Griggs created called "Bobble Rep," a complete database of every elected member of Congress, their contact information (for search by zip code) and, instead of a photo, a unique caricature of each Congressperson and Senator.

It's those caricatures that Apple apparently considers "content that ridicules public figures," a violation of Section 3.3.14 of the iPhone developer agreement, and a reason that Apple's previously cited for rejecting apps that poke fun at politicians.
    In case you were wondering, the app gets its name because shaking the iPhone or iPod causes the caricature's head to bobble around.

Sounds cathartic, right? Maybe they can make a sequel to the app that features the heads of App Store reviewers.
    Although there is no shortage of developers confounded and frustrated to learn that their seemingly harmless app has been rejected, the often hypocritical or downright confusing approval process still doesn't seem to be impairing the overall number of apps submitted and ultimately admitted to the app store. Most developers, after all, bounce back with a revised, more acceptable app. And, hopefully, that's exactly what Mr. Richmond will find a way to do with his creative work that deserves to see the light of day.

Image via tomrichmond.com

ll i can say is damn you apple. and i dont think anyone else disagrees.

FIRST!!!!!!!

Why
    Apple
    Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign

The Family iPhone 2G , iPhone 3G ,Iphone 3Gs , Iphone 4
    13" MacBook ( Black )

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

Forget the u.s.presidents all hail hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Every day I get closer and closer to Android.
    I couldn't agree more strongly. If the CLIQ was faster, had iTunes support, a larger multitouch screen, and Slingplayer Mobile, I would be tossing this phone in the garbage.

It would have been approved if they'd made them fart too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

They didn't put a "i" in the title if it was iBobblhead it would be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk7741 View Post

FIRST!!!!!!!
    hey didnt StealthBravo used to have this avatar?
    killall Terminal[]

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    hey didnt StealthBravo used to have this avatar?

maybe. he might have. i dont know. but if he did kudos to him

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Boohoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Every day I get closer and closer to Android.
    LOL! Thats what I was saying to myself. I actually went and signed up with Verizon to try the Droid. Bringing it back this weekend. I cant quit my iPhone! I dont know why!
    Last edited by DontBeJealous; 11-10-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Maybe if it had a swastika icon and was in spanish it would've passed right on through?

Maybe they are avoiding a potential "diffamation of character" suit, as any other smart company would do? I bet Steve Jobs likes Bevis & Butthead but I just don't see them being used as Apple spokes characters. Wake up kids. This is a business company. The Hitler book and this cartoonish app are not on the same merit list.

Das ist mein Apple iPhone und Feldmarschall Jobs können crap essen (place a caricature of a boot kicking Job's bobble-headed butt here)!!!

Heil Android!
    Last edited by jayson9; 11-10-2009 at 11:50 AM.

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

they should do what Google did, release it on cydia.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Quote Originally Posted by LGgeek View Post
    they should do what Google did, release it on cydia.
    Google didn't release anything on Cydia; a third-party released his own GV client that was rejected from the App Store on Cydia. Google is developing a web-based version of the official Google Voice client for iPhone. (That's right, Apple rejected TWO Google Voice applications.)

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

"Although some are saying the App Store's decision to reject the app was "patriotic" because the company doesn't want to encourage the mockery of elected leaders in the United States, others think the App Store had less noble reasons... like just following "policy."

god has Apple become that borg ? controlling products is one thing controlling information to the people is communistic. I have lots of apple products but I'm starting to like them less all the time.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LGgeek For This Useful Post:

Kiserai (11-11-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Seriously? The guy works for MAD magazine, and those look exactly like all the caricatures I see in that magazine. You're going to tell me that a useful app is going to get denied because it contains some of the same type of pictures as a magazine sold by EVERY FRAKING GROCERY STORE IN EVERY CONSERVATIVE RURAL AREA I'VE EVER LIVED IN?

Jesus Apple. It's a wonder you can review apps at all, what with your heads being so far up each other's asses that you have to peek out of your asshat's belly button to see what's going on.

When is AT&T going to carry a worthwhile Android phone so I can switch?

(answering my own question, probably never)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Tell the creators to put that in cydia, I'm sure they would pass it!

Banned
    Thanks

so lemme get this straight. Apple accepts a Nazi app complete with swastika but rejects an app that pokes fun of members of congress because it might be offensive?

that god for Cydia & Rock.

and Apple wants to know why we jailbreak for 3rd part apps !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast