+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: O2 to Unlock iPhones After Contracts Expire

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default O2 to Unlock iPhones After Contracts Expire

O2 will allow its customers to unlock their iPhones after their current contracts expire, according to Matthew Key, chairman and CEO of O2's parent company, Telefónica.

In an interview held as part of Times Online's "Ask the Boss" feature, Key left open the question of whether O2 would unlock the phones for their customers, or merely not object if they chose to do so:
    Once the iPhone becomes available on other UK networks, we will allow O2 customers to unlock their iPhones, although of course they will still need to honor any outstanding contract period they have. At the end of their contract period, they are entirely free to move to another operator
    A reader had asked Key to comment on a rumor that O2 would "not allow people to unlock their iPhone, even if they are out of their contract period." Unlocking phones after contracts expire is much more common in the UK than it is in the US and other markets, so any move by O2 to restrict that ability would be poorly received.

O2 also offers the so-called "Pay & Go" option for users without a contract, that offers 12 months of unlimited (using the UK definition of that term) web and WiFi, though without Visual Voicemail, call merging or Internet tethering. These users will also be able to unlock after paying a fee of £15.

As exclusive-carrier arrangements in many countries are increasingly coming to an end, it will be interesting to see which service providers go O2's direction and which don't. O2 clearly thinks that they can hold on to customers by offering low prices, so this move should spur healthy competition in the UK market.

Thanks

About time they decided to do something like this

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Damn! I CANT WAIT TO FACTORY UNLOCK MY PHONE!!! WOOHOOO!
    No more *sn0w.

I'll have to pay £15, but oh well. Still a better deal compared to the US!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

man that will be huge should be good for all you Brits....lucky.

Thanks

Man! AT&T are such D*heads why can't they do this? (Well...I did answer my own question there...AT&T)...such @$$holes

Thanks

AT&T should unlock

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think AT&T should unlock when you completed your 2 year contract with them...OR Apple should sell full price unsubsidized iPhones factory unlocked.

Thanks

It's free for contract phones and £15 for PAYG - but only after 1 year apparently.
    Unlock my iPhone - iPhone

Not sure what has to be a year - the phone or how long you've been with them. I've submitted my phone details (which is older than 1 year) and my daughter's PAYG details (which is less than a year)
    They will get back to me within 14 days - so lets see what they say....
    Last edited by confucious; 11-09-2009 at 11:47 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

MetallicaFan1991 (11-10-2009)

Thanks

Well I don't see what difference it makes when we have a good unlocking solution already?

Green Apple
    Thanks

The question I have is how would they apply the unlock? I know on WM phones its a code thats entered into the phone. Is it that simple with iPhones? Will customers have to bring their phones into the shop to have it done? Is there some sort of tether that will need to occur to do the unlock?

It would be great if somehow this could be replicated for public use instead of the sn0w hacks haha...

Thanks

They will be unlocked the same way as any other officially unlocked iPhone, via iTunes after O2 have registered your details on Apple's servers.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I wish I had that option tired of sweating for the next unlock and when it's available.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jomo25 View Post
    The question I have is how would they apply the unlock? I know on WM phones its a code thats entered into the phone. Is it that simple with iPhones? Will customers have to bring their phones into the shop to have it done? Is there some sort of tether that will need to occur to do the unlock?

It would be great if somehow this could be replicated for public use instead of the sn0w hacks haha...
    OMG do you not read up.

There's some software that alerts Apple servers for carrier settings to be locked/unlocked. Once they(O2) fill in their bureaucratic forms and use the software to unlock the carrier setting you'll be free. No more sn0w in the UK(is this global warming?)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Good unlocking solution? While i entirely appreciate what Geohot has done the unlock is not perfect. I still can't use wifi and sometimes 3G sporadically stops. So i uninstalled it and will unlock when i travel. But legally AT&T cannot keep you from unlocking your phone once you're contract is up. You paid your term. I'd call Apple and let them know you're off contract and hopefully they'd be able to see if you're eligible.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jomo25 View Post

As far as I know Apple has a record of unlocked IMEIs on their activation servers. So when you restore and activate it iTunes contacts Apple servers to check your IMEI and if it comes up as unlocked it tells the phone that and off you go.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    As far as I know Apple has a record of unlocked IMEIs on their activation servers. So when you restore and activate it iTunes contacts Apple servers to check your IMEI and if it comes up as unlocked it tells the phone that and off you go.
    I actually had a thought about this the other day. I was using umbrella and such to store my ECID SHSH and tinytss to emulate apple's server. My thought was that if we can replicate an apple server like that, why can't we replicate apple's "lock status" server?

Also, what would be the course of action to get my phone unlocked by Fido after the contract is up, would I have any legal ground to stand on? Do they (or apple) have to oblige?
    Last edited by drumstyx; 11-09-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    It's free for contract phones and £15 for PAYG - but only after 1 year apparently.
    Unlock my iPhone - iPhone

Not sure what has to be a year - the phone or how long you've been with them. I've submitted my phone details (which is older than 1 year) and my daughter's PAYG details (which is less than a year)
    They will get back to me within 14 days - so lets see what they say....
    Hmm that is just like being in a contract really if it has to be on there 12 months even though it is on PAYG. Im going to ring up tomorrow and talk to them about it I payed £440 for the phone so why should I have to wait 12 months to be able to unlock it. Its not like they are waiting to get the price of the phone money back off me like a contract.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is how AT&T should do it. I hate the exclusive carrier BS, I don't see how it's even legal... Obviously some goverment fat cat is getting his..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    omg finally, registered my details online!! will w8 for an email from O2 then will insert another network sim and connect it to itunes!!!

Thanks

Same as above registered my details, will it affect jailbreak does anybody know?
    Thanks

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast