+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: O2 to Unlock iPhones After Contracts Expire

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Backslash786 Same as above registered my details, will it affect jailbreak does anybody know? Thanks I don't see why it would.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backslash786 View Post
    Same as above registered my details, will it affect jailbreak does anybody know?
    Thanks
    I don't see why it would.

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    It's free for contract phones and 15 for PAYG - but only after 1 year apparently.
    Unlock my iPhone - iPhone

Not sure what has to be a year - the phone or how long you've been with them. I've submitted my phone details (which is older than 1 year) and my daughter's PAYG details (which is less than a year)
    They will get back to me within 14 days - so lets see what they say....

Yes please let us know, it will be interesting to see what the definitions are.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Thanks

At&t would never do this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope this goes global

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

And this is just one of the 1000 reasons that I can site as to why I moved to the android. Tmobile gave me my unlock code. What do you think your chances are of getting yours? I'll bet it's .00000000000000001% and that is after being out of contact for 10 years and signing a contract agreeing to never ever use any other carrier except AT&T.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have an officially unlocked iPhone from Australia. It's a breeze not worrying about unlocks.I just wish At&t would do it here in the U.S.

Here is a pic of iTunes unlocking my iPhone the other day.

NEVER pay to have your iPhone unlocked or jailbroken, It's a complete rip off.

Thanks

At&t might be following suit

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cant believe how they can justify unlocking phones that are on contract even if you have to pay the balance but wont unlock the PAYG phones. Surely they can determine what the phone owes them and adjust a pay off price accordingly. Disgusting and possibly illegal behaviour from O2.

Thanks

^Thats very nice to see your iphone is officially unlocked now it should sell for $1,000 easy!

Thanks

Just spoke to o2 they said now monthly phones they will unlock free anytime in your contract but you will have to honour the rest of you contract..[obviously] Pay as you go they will unlock for 15.00..
    use the unlock my phone form:
    https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?...locking%20Form

Thanks

^That's why the link in my post above is to the page before that form which explains what they do.
    Best to start here.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

sounds like a fair game plan
    killall Terminal[]

uzz
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What about my previous iphone family? Like my 2g & 2x 3g phones will I be able to get them unlocked? even though I have them unlocked it would be nice to get them factory unlocked...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Still think it is a discriminatory behavior from O2 and not legal.
    '[email protected]'
    Have e mailed the appropriate dept venting my dissatisfaction. Perhaps others may feel they want to do the same.After all it now comes down to freedom of choice. Why can people who signed a contract opt out{even if they have to pay until the end of the contract} and people who didnt sign the contract are unable to do so!!! Unfair and discriminatory practice. PAYG users should be offered an opt out choice even if it means paying a bigger chunk towards the phon

{Just hope that I had the correct e mail address!!!}

Thanks

I doubt very much if it's illegal.
    people who signed a contract still have to meet their contractual obligations. What they don't want is people buying phones that they subsidise and unlocking them and using them on another network and never on O2. Why should O2 provide you with a phone for someone else? You might have a point if you say that Apple should provide officially unlocked phones at full retail value but I really don't think you have a complaint against O2 providing a service for their customers!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I doubt very much if it's illegal.
    people who signed a contract still have to meet their contractual obligations. What they don't want is people buying phones that they subsidise and unlocking them and using them on another network and never on O2. Why should O2 provide you with a phone for someone else? You might have a point if you say that Apple should provide officially unlocked phones at full retail value but I really don't think you have a complaint against O2 providing a service for their customers!
    Confucious
    I know what you are saying and I am not asking them to provide me with a subsidy to take my phone elsewhere. What I believe is that in todays legal world of equality and equal rights and the many other legalities that abound within our system, together with fair trade policy, that O2 are now discriminating against PAYG customers. What they should do is offer the facility to those customers that have alread paid a substantial part of the phone costs in a lump sum, to pay the remaining balance in order to secure the unlock. ie if the unsubsidised cost was 800 and purchase cost was 550 then 250 is outstanding. 20.83 per month over a 12 month term. After 6 months I would have no objection to paying 125 to unlock my phone. But I certainly feel that I should be given the opportunity to unlock should I wish to do so in line with pay monthly customers. After all they signed a contract and can " buy out " of it if they wish, but I signed nothing and am stuck in. Can you see where I am coming from.

Thanks

I can see where you are coming from, just not sure I agree with you.
    What O2 have done is a good start, I'm not sure discrimination and fair trade come in to play here - I am no legal expert. I can also see where O2 are coming from.
    Should Apple sell unlocked phones unsubsidised? Possibly. Should O2 be made to unlock immediately? Not sure, they did have an exclusive contract and I'm not sure they are obliged to unlock at all.
    I never used my phone on O2 at all so am not in your situation - maybe my views would be different if I was....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Confucious
    Mine isnt on O2 either. But the option would have been nice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok my wife is near the end of her o2 contract and is using a crappy old sony ericsson. I have a 3gs (still running on 3.0) and want to know a couple of things...

Can I fill in the form in her name and put my iPhone details in (even tho its on Voda & has never been on o2) and get it unlocked?

Will this update my baseband and is that a dangerous thing to do or not?

To be honest, my phone is fine, runs well and if I lost my jailbreaking capabilities I'd feel like I'd lost a big part of my phone and as it is unlocked at the moment, I don't need to go down the official unlocked route but was just wondering? My wife is more than likely going to move away from o2 so I only have a limited time available to do this so what are the pro's and con's if there are any?

TIA

st3v3y

Thanks

I am trying to get mine unlocked with my daughter's PAYG SIM - don't know if it will work or not but there is only one way to find out!

The BB only matters for unlock and as your phone will be officially unlocked it will no longer matter.

Firmware 3.12 can be JB so you will have no problems. When a new FW comes out you just have to wait until a JB is available (which ussually happens pretty quickly) and not have to wait for or worry about an unlock.

Plug in your wife's details and see if it works.