+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Holiday Ad Wars Kick into High Gear

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
There had been some rumors and speculation in recent weeks that Verizon's next round of holiday "attack ads" would take aim at Apple, iPhone jailbreakers, and, of course, AT&T. For
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Holiday Ad Wars Kick into High Gear

There had been some rumors and speculation in recent weeks that Verizon's next round of holiday "attack ads" would take aim at Apple, iPhone jailbreakers, and, of course, AT&T. For now, however, it seems that Verizon is just going to focus on coverage claims against AT&T.

Apple Insider has amassed the new ads, which have just begun running. The titles of the ads include: "Naughty Nice," "Misfit Toys," and "Blue Christmas."

[The ads] prominently feature the coverage maps first introduced in the "There's a Map for That" commercial. These maps were a point of contention between Verizon and AT&T, causing AT&T to bring a lawsuit against Verizon for misrepresenting AT&T's 3G coverage areas.
    Despite AT&T taking legal action, Verizon isn't pulling punches, even as AT&T claims that Verizon is misleading consumers with wild accusations about AT&T's less-than-stellar 3G coverage area.

Strangely enough, this latest round of holiday ads may be foreshadowing a relationship between Apple, the iPhone, and Verizon - one possible explanation for why Verizon didn't deliver any harsh jabs anywhere else except at AT&T.

In the ads, it is clear Verizon has tried to separate their criticism of AT&T from the iPhone itself, going so far as to call the phone "A great 3G phone without great 3G coverage." This may be an indication that the rumors of Verizon offering the iPhone sometime in 2010 have some truth behind them.
    The latest ads from Verizon come as research firm OTR Global "cites sources in the Taiwan handset supply chain" claiming that Apple is now working on a new iPhone for distribution in partnership with Verizon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny! I eagerly anticipate the advertising war as it will be very amusing!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

LMAO WOW! The first commercial about the misfit toys is the funniest one! Man they're going really far with these ads. But i'm still skeptical about the 4th gen iPhone going to Verizon. If only AT&T would expand their 3G coverage!

Thanks

Lol, in every ad, they use the iphone as the ATT phone
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the elves.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default I love these ads.
    I dont know who at apple is fu#$ing who at att but it sure seems like the sooner Apple ditches its crack whore att the better off they'll be. I think ATT 3G coverage sucks *****. I live near seattle and JUST 20 minutes on a major freeway out of seattle your 3G drops, a mere 10 minutes past that your service goes to No Service all together. I'm sure many of you can relate. ATT sucks. Apple will suffer until they ditch ATT which it seems like they are treating like a co-dependant crack whore.

Thanks

The misfit toys one is hilarious!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quality entertainment
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No 3G in Moscow and I still love my iPhone (all three of them!). Verizon might have better 3G coverage, but they DON'T have the iPhone. Better an iPhone with spotty 3G than some silly samsung thing and lots of 3G (IMHO)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckplumber View Post
    No 3G in Moscow and I still love my iPhone (all three of them!). Verizon might have better 3G coverage, but they DON'T have the iPhone. Better an iPhone with spotty 3G than some silly samsung thing and lots of 3G (IMHO)
    I agree. I came from verizon about 4 months ago just for the iPhone and although I do really like Verizon and their coverage I wouldn't give up my iPhone! If Verizon does get the 4th Gen iPhone I will switch back without question.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Haters... Haters have to talk s**t. Its just a sign of envy

Thanks

I wonder what we'll see first; the iPhone on Verizon or the Apple Tablet. Both are mythical happenings that everyone seems intent on pushing despite ZERO hard evidence either will ever come to fruition. Ridiculous.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianiino View Post
    They're pretty much targeting their biggest rival. They don't even target t-mobile which has the worst 3G coverage in America lol nor Sprint.. They target the iPhone because they screwed up when they let apple go. But anyway i still enjoy having the iPhone on GSM networks.. My 3G coverage is pretty damn good so i can't really complain much.

Verizon and their commercials lol. They've been the most destructive out of all 3 companies. Let's see how the "Droid" does with them.

Thanks

Why doesn't Apple go just go to T-mobile its better then Verzion

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If verizon gets a smaller iPhone, we lose the standard screen size, and therefore the "one app fits all" idea, that's not good

Thanks

Personally, I don't care about coverage. I don't really leave the city much. AT&T's 3G is faster than Verizon's and AT&T's GSM allows it to work around the world(gotta love the sim card). So why pay for slower 3G, no sims and coverage somewhere I'm not. AT&T works perfectly in Pittsburgh, I always have 5 bars. In fact, I know several people are switching from Verizon to AT&T because they drop calls a lot. Also I prefer a better selection of non-corny smart-phones. And lets not forget that these ads aren't true, the coverage is about the same.
    Last edited by ty22; 11-09-2009 at 11:56 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    Lol, in every ad, they use the iphone as the ATT phone
    Why wouldn't they? Its the highest selling phone since the Razr. It hits home for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by brianiino View Post
    Hi, I'm a mac. I'm a PC. HEY YOU'RE RIGHT! HATERS DO HAVE TO TALK TRASH, its a sign of envy. The person who said "quality entertainment" is dead on. I'm not with verizon OR att and I dont plan on being with either of them in the near future. The people who take these attacks personally because its "their network" are more comical than the advertisement itself!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

HAHAHA! The misfit toys one was perfect. I liked how they all said 'oh' when the map popped up. That's comedy right there and very creative. Now if someone at AT&T could get the message.....

Thanks

If Verizon gets the iPhone I might switch, nothing bad with 3G service where I live though, the minimum I get is 3 bars which is at my house..

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    HAHAHA! The misfit toys one was perfect. I liked how they all said 'oh' when the map popped up. That's comedy right there and very creative. Now if someone at AT&T could get the message.....
    I would love to see AT&T come out with a verizon-like commercial lol
    Last edited by iRockish; 11-09-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Those AT&T Coverage maps are also a crock! I live in an area that shows no coverage on their map. I get 3G just fine...4+ bars. Just goes to show you that you can get away with lying in advertising...as long as you can "spin it" in some way.
    kwickone I.T.H.