Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store Lets Hitler Slip Past Radar

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default App Store Lets Hitler Slip Past Radar

Over the weekend, an unexpected arrival to Apple's App Store took place.

For reasons that pass anyone's understanding, Apple approved a Spanish-language eBook version of Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf. If that isn't bad enough, the application icon was a swastika.

Within 24-hours, however, the $1.99 application was pulled from the App Store altogether. Gee, I wonder if anyone complained?

The JP, which reported the story today, covered how EdibleApple, 9to5Mac, TechCrunch and TheNextWeb all took notice of the controversial app as soon as it hit the store.

Bloggers were shocked that Mein Kampf made it through Apple's selection process and many reacted angrily.
    EdibleApple, a site dedicated to Apple news, rumors and analysis, wrote, "It's naturally filled with a plethora of racist content and it's pretty mind boggling that Apple's app store censors let this one slide through."
    From shocking to mind-boggling, the content was rated 9+. So according to the App Store approval process, the content was determined to be appropriate for readers over the age of nine.

Indeed, someone dropped the ball.

Although Apple has been criticized in the past for being "hypocritical" in terms of the apps it approves and those it rejects, at the end of the day, Apple is running a business and its understandable why the company would pick favorites - or at least those that further the goals and objectives of Apple. Approving the Hitler app, however, is beyond anyone's capacity for understanding, which is likely why its approval can only logically be attributed to an overlooked error.

Despite the overwhelming number of applicants, Apple should not have these slips, TechCrunch argues. "This version of Mein Kampf is in Spanish, so maybe that's what allowed it to slip by the App Store guardians. But that's no excuse. If the Nazi logo didn't raise a red flag, I'm not sure what will."
    Image via TechMarketing

I am continually angered more and more by the half-a** approval process of Apple's app store. If it wasn't for the Cydia store there wouldn't be any useful apps on my iPhone. Cydia FTW

Well, it is an autobiography and exposition of his political ideology. Sold at Amazon and available through Kindle. I think this might have been why App Store allowed it to go through, then recinded. Who knows.
    Last edited by metaserph; 11-09-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KiZZ View Post
    I am continually angered more and more by the half-a** approval process of Apple's app store. If it wasn't for the Cydia store there wouldn't be any useful apps on my iPhone. Cydia FTW
    Got to agree with you there how did this slip through the net in the first place.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Some body over there needs to learn spanish! And honestly how could you not tell with that Nazi symbol isn't that just obvious?! Maybe they have someone who's for the Nazis accepting apps!

Thanks

Haha. That's mess up. But it's kind of funny too.

William Shirer's seminal work, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich has a swastika on the cover. Wow. Why should people be allowed to study history at all? We should just ignore it and have it go away. No sense in trying to understand the minds of neo-fascists and neo-nazis.

Also, freedom of press and free speech are completely over-rated. We should let Apple control our lives. Heil Steve!

(for those unable to understand, the above is sarcasm - no, I'm not a skinhead or a neo-nazi or a fascist; I think they're pathetic criminals whose mommies probably ignored them as children)

Heil Apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Mind boggling! Apple is so full of crap when it comes to their approval process...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Read about this over the weekend. Didn't want to mention it on here because there is always going to be someone who will defend it or make some ridiculous anti-semetic and therefor piss me off. But so far so good.

Apple, WTF were you thinking??
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

I agree, I guess there aren't a lot of people asking why Apple shouldn't censor this book. Why do I need Apple telling me what books to read and which books not to read. That reminds me of something Hitler would do. Heil Steve.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Next will be Huckleberry Fin and Alice In Wonderland. This doesn't make sense, but then again that's how Apple rolls.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Of course Mein Kampf racist, but it's also historically important. I don't understand this censorship at all. Information is just information, if you know the source, I don't see a problem.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to organik For This Useful Post:

long10horns (11-10-2009), spazturtle (11-09-2009)

This is stupid (taking it down, not putting it up) is should be up on the app store, it is a valid book why not let it be a ebook

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    Mind boggling! Apple is so full of crap when it comes to their approval process...
    mind bottling :P hahaha blades of glory, had to do it! but i'm gonna haave to take the side of the people that think this shouldn't be taken off, just because it's racist and very horrible, doesn't mean it should be taken off. i mean it's a big part of history and most of us learn it in history class anyway, and if someone doesn't want to read it then don't get it it's pretty simple. I'm not for nazies or anything just it's a huge part of history, which is why i could understand someone getting this for that reason.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Next will be Huckleberry Fin and Alice In Wonderland. This doesn't make sense, but then again that's how Apple rolls.
    Boring Books lol

I'm am firmly convinced the app store approval process is conducted by monkeys acting randomly. Prove me wrong!

Good lord, this should ABSOLUTELY be allowed to stay up, it is a book of history, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I got so mad at OP, no one dropped the ball, someone was thinking SENSIBLY! There's nothing wrong with a damn book.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to drumstyx For This Useful Post:

one1 (11-10-2009)

I really don't understand the op here. You should be aware that banning books is NEVER, EVER the right way to go. Never. Mein Kampf may contain racist material, but it is incredibly significant, historically. This is not just some vague racist material written by some guy who had little historical weight, this part autobiography and part ideological exercising is what lead to the deaths of millions. EXTREMELY HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT.

The only things I would nitpick about with this:
    a.) Reading age minimum should be raised
    b.) Overreacting bloggers should realize that this book isn't an infectious virus, it's a book just like any other, but even moreso: historical significance

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NessLookAlike For This Useful Post:

Luppin (11-09-2009), one1 (11-10-2009), Rota (11-09-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk283 View Post
    Boring Books lol
    They are books being taken out of schools because they are deemed "inappropriate". Boring or not...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast