+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon iPhone "Nano" in 2010?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple will release a new "worldmode" iPhone next year with a significantly smaller form factor, according to a report revealed by AppleInsider . The phone will have a hybrid UMTS/CDMA
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon iPhone "Nano" in 2010?

Apple will release a new "worldmode" iPhone next year with a significantly smaller form factor, according to a report revealed by AppleInsider. The phone will have a hybrid UMTS/CDMA chip manufactured by Qualcomm that will enable it to use Verizon Wireless's network in the United States.

The report was produced by OTR Global, an independent Wall Street research firm, and relies on sources within the Taiwan handset manufacturing industry. Their research indicated that Asustek subsidiary Taiwan's Pegatron, a subsidiary of Asustek will bur tapped to manufacture the phone. Apple is said to have chosen that company rather than Hon Hai, their current manufacturer, because of concerns that they would be "constrained by a single-source assembler."

The purported new phone would have a 2.8" screen, as compared to the 3.5" screen on current iPhones. This is consistent with pictures leaked on the web over the summer supposedly showing components of a smaller iPhone.

The possibility of a hybrid chip running both Verizon-compatible CDMA and AT&T-compatible UMTS would eliminate a major stumbling block to a potential Verizon iPhone. Verizon Wireless has stated that its plan is to upgrade its entire network to LTE - a major undertaking that won't be complete until the middle of the next decade - rather than adding UMTS 3G service to its current network, as other CDMA carriers have done. The dual chip allows Apple to sell one phone globally that can run on all major telecom providers.

Verizon has done much recently to pour cold water on rumors that they would be releasing their own iPhone, in particular the recent attack ads making fun of Apple and AT&T. The carrier also has the Blackberry Storm 2, the Palm Pre, and Motorola Droid in its stable as direct competitors to the iPhone. The report, however, indicates that the companies have been in talks all along.

Recently, Verizon Wireless announced a policy that would levy a $350 fine on customers who cancel contracts on "advanced devices," which leads some observers to wonder if the report of a future Verizon iPhone will put a drag on Droid, Storm, and Pre sales over the holidays.

The report claims the new phone will be released in the third quarter of 2010.

Thanks

First, wow a 2.8?

Thanks
    seems kinda pointless to me =\

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why the hell would they make a 2.8 screen?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    looks more like an iclone knockoff device more than anything else... not believeing it to be legit

Green Apple
    Thanks

first off....is the ban for the whole "first" thing in the thread EVER going to take affect? I'm so tired of seeing that crap. I know there are a million 11 year olds with iphones, but seriously, GIVE IT UP

/rant

to contribute to the thread, i think a small iphone would be great. I don't have a problem with the size of the 3.5, but a smaller one would be a great option. Verizon also seems like a good move, IMO. 3G coverage basically everywhere is kinda nice, unlike the $hitty Edge we get everywhere on att

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default The 3.2 inch digitizer in the picture is not from an iphone
    The larger 3.2 inch digitizer in the picture is not from an iphone but likely from an "iphone clone" or "chinese iphone". I know this becaue I am an iphone technician and can easily identify where the differences lie. Hence the smaller digitizer that looks exactly like the larger one is from an existing smaller version of the larger iphone clone. We all know that the cheap KA08 or "iphone mini" exists today on ebay and that is probably the digitizer that we see in the picture.

The KA08 is a piece of garbage.

Anyway, why do we all even care since the Andriod is just as functional as the iphone is TODAY and the Mytouch and Hero are much classier then the iphone. The iphone looks and feels like a big brick in ones hand and is way overpriced with a crappy camera and crappy LCD compared to the Mytouch and Hero.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thatcoralguy For This Useful Post:

ifonemaniac (11-07-2009), llescaflownell (11-07-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Dumb

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I will flip if they make the screen smaller!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure Verizon doesn't carry the Palm Pre, its Sprint. And I, personally wouldn't buy the smaller iPhone if I had a choice, but if its the only one available then I would probably go for it. Plus it might end up being cheaper, smaller device, smaller price right?
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The iPhone screen is perfect maybe it could get wider to get native 16:9 without making the device bigger but then all the apps would need to be converted.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPhone needs a smaller screen? I wasn't aware of that.

This needs to stop. The chances of Verizon getting an iPhone (Not due to network differences, wake up people) is slim to none. Why don't we just wait until there is some irrefutable information about this instead of posting all of this speculatory garbage?

Lovely

Not

Thanks

I Agree with the Flash on the iphone . But will it happen ? Not in the next gen iphones unless something is done to improve their network .

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i think its just a false rumor
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

I think its funny how verizon is attacking the iphone so much... and now they are coming out with the iphone????

I am so sick of business just trying to battle their way to make a dollars..

Thanks

A smaller screen is not something any sensible company would contemplate.
    I smell BS.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

That's right give crappy verizon the dumber little brother. Hilarious!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    The iPhone needs a smaller screen? I wasn't aware of that.
    The 3.2" screen on my HTC Hero is fantastic. I'd love a smaller screen iphone personally, I'd always felt awkward holding such a wide device to my head to talk on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    Why don't we just wait until there is some irrefutable information about this instead of posting all of this speculatory garbage?
    Welcome to the 24 hour news cycle. Remember balloon boy?

Thanks

Well...I'm one of those that would switch to Verizon if they had an iPhone. The only reasons I would switch are if it's not going to be jailbreakable OR ATT finally gets 3g in my area.

Thanks

Anything to drive Internet traffic these days..
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare