Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Not Fond of iPhone Gaming

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple Not Fond of iPhone Gaming

Perhaps the reason Apple seems to be the only one dragging its feet on developing the run-away popularity of gaming on the iPhone and iPod Touch is because, as some suspected, Apple doesn't really like the idea of their Juggernaut mobile devices becoming dominant platforms for mobile video gaming.

Over time, subtle hints are being dropped by those working closely with Apple that the folks in Cupertino are becoming increasingly more irritated by the references to Apple's iPhone/iPhone as popular gaming systems.

From Apple Insider:

John Carmack, creator of the classic PC game Doom, described working with Apple as a "rollercoaster ride," and suggested that company executives are not happy about the popularity of gaming on the iPhone and iPod touch.
    Carmack says the top suits at Apple aren't pleased with the direction mobile gaming is taking as far as their devices are concerned: "They're not proud of the iPhone being a game machine, they wish it was something else."

This news, of course, comes as anything but music to the ears of avid gamers like myself who find themselves playing less PSP now that a flurry of phenomenal games have found their way to the iPhone. Although other mobile gaming systems present some advantages over the iPhone, the convenience factor of having an outstanding phone and a terrific gaming system all in one can't be replicated elsewhere.

But can Apple really afford to reject a movement that has become larger than their hopes for the iPhone - those that, dare I say, arrogantly regard the iPhone as "above the fray" of lowly hand held gaming devices. Carmack thinks Apple will have little choice but to change its attitude over time.

Carmack believes the executives at Apple have had to embrace the iPhone/Touch as a gaming platform as a result of the overwhelming popularity that games have enjoyed at the App store. Apple executive John Geleynse was quoted earlier this year as saying "it's not a phone, it's a console experience."
    But don't look for that detachable keyboard that gamers are begging for anytime soon. Apple is going to make us wait while they "warm to the idea" of the writing that's clearly already on the wall.

Image via Slashgear

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (11-07-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Boker's Avatar
    Thanks

So I have to wait longer for GTA on the iphone?!

Apple must be out of their minds.

Thanks

Well, I would like Gran Tourismo on the iphone.

Steve Jobs said they wanted the iPod Touch to be more of a gaming platform. Do they expect people to buy both an iPod Touch and an iPhone? If so, they've got some learning to do. If they didn't want the iPhone to be a mobile gaming device, they shouldn't have pushed the iPod Touch to be one.

I would assume they would sell more ipod touches and iphones if they had a better UI . So work on that .

John Carmack, creator of the classic PC game Doom, described working with Apple as a "rollercoaster ride," and suggested that company executives are not happy about the popularity of gaming on the iPhone and iPod touch.
    Bullshirt. Absolutely Bullshirt. They wouldn't be making commercials saying "The funnest iPod ever."

Yeah, well, it is what it is, they're gonna have to embrace it if they want the $$$.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Idiots...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Nobody's dragging their feet. It's more likely that they realize, like we do, that the iPhone has a terrible interface for gaming.

ridiculous....

Quote Originally Posted by lightningdude View Post
    Steve Jobs said they wanted the iPod Touch to be more of a gaming platform. Do they expect people to buy both an iPod Touch and an iPhone? If so, they've got some learning to do. If they didn't want the iPhone to be a mobile gaming device, they shouldn't have pushed the iPod Touch to be one.
    Yes he does. That's why you pay for a $300 phone and don't get a dock with it. Because that makes a whole lot of sense.

I can clearly see that Apple hate the idea of the iPhone becoming a major gaming platform by the big fat "Hot New Games" button in the mobile App store...

Carmack's a clever guy and he might be right that the top brass at Apple would prefer the iPhone to be seen as a more serious device but games sell very well and since they take a slice of every sale I can't see them protesting too hard, if at all.

Thanks

Why would Apple not like that? Unless they are planning on a Video Game console.

I don't get it Messany. All of the commercials have me convinced Apple wants the iPhone/iPod Touch to be front and center in mobile gaming. Hell their dev conferences are filled with game devs and first looks at future mobile game releases, etc.

BTW company suits hardy know anything relating to the ground floor. They are all about the bottom line, pie charts, graphs, and using data analytics to show where their company is heading. I bet they hardly talk to any dev or consumer in person. I am also sure they had no idea who John was in the gaming world.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Come on guys say it with me....... IITTTTSSSSSS AAAAAAA PHHHHHHOOONNNNNEEEEEE u want a hand-held gaming device buy a PSP

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

And yet they added OpenGL ES 2.0 to the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3G, Games is the first category in the App Store and is the only category with sub-categories, and the iPod touch 3G in the very front on Apple's website when it was first released was displayed playing a game.

For a company that doesn't like the fact that their portable device has become a gaming platform, they don't show it very well. But hey, maybe that's true. Maybe that's the real reason there are so few games for Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by gothi View Post
    I can clearly see that Apple hate the idea of the iPhone becoming a major gaming platform by the big fat "Hot New Games" button in the mobile App store...
    Haha. Press "What's Hot" and you'll see

Basketball
    App Store Essentials

and

iPod touch
    Games from the TV Ad
    Last edited by Channan; 11-07-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

yes because the lines between phone and gaming device are very clearly drawn in the sand.

To be honest who wants an ipod touch if they can combine a phone with the same functionality of the ipod?? 2 birds one stone.

Fair enough some people wont want that (for financial reasons, they like their old phone etc etc)but for the majority of us we do. We like being able to sit back and play a game with some decent graphics with a unique touch screen and accelorometer whenever we are bored of posting on facebook/twitter/modmyi forums. Have you seen real racing??? How awesome are the graphics on that for such a little device!

Apple tries to put its users in labeled boxes( we should all like a black background for springboard STUFF THAT!),as far as Im concerned, but im sorry some of us like to cross between the boxes.

And some of us (geohot/dev team) just burn the boxes down so there are none.

Sandy
    Last edited by sandyt87; 11-07-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling

what the hell is going on with Apple lately? why are they acting as such arrogant bastards. That's what happens when you crate something that nobody can live without. I truly hate apple and their stance where the iphone is concerned.

WHOOOO CARES what apple wants or doesent want its already consider a gaming device ANDDDDD what game is that ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast