+ Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Officially Going to War Against Jailbreaking

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
ok there is all this talk about not having a jailbroken phone. if you have a pwned custom FW you made with your phone and have the ECID stored with
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iMrBrett's Avatar
    Thanks

ok there is all this talk about not having a jailbroken phone. if you have a pwned custom FW you made with your phone and have the ECID stored with saurik than how can they ever stop the people who have custom FW i was under the impression that can now make you JB forever and that apple can only stop the "Out Of Box" customers and ones who update with stock FW but if i am wrong PLEASE inform me!

Thanks

What i think is if they do this people will find a exploit or something to get around it or fine some kind of code within in it for them to get it jailbroken again, where there always a way no matter what. There million of smart people who will think of this as a challenge and hack it. And apple will lose money because people would stop buying it because they have to be stuck with AT&T, so lets see what happens, but for now EVERYBODY ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE NOW

Green Apple
    Thanks

WHY??? What is wrong with us customizing our phones to our liking? I understand the whole "cracked apps," thing, but there has to be another way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdcarp0 View Post
    ok there is all this talk about not having a jailbroken phone. if you have a pwned custom FW you made with your phone and have the ECID stored with saurik than how can they ever stop the people who have custom FW i was under the impression that can now make you JB forever and that apple can only stop the "Out Of Box" customers and ones who update with stock FW but if i am wrong PLEASE inform me!
    Well thats for now so far, but if they find different ways to block this then we have to find another way to jailbreak, but who knows we don't have a lot of information about the (Jailbreaking Cop) but for now your safe till they find another way around this

Quote Originally Posted by torrenegoshima View Post
    WHY??? What is wrong with us customizing our phones to our liking? I understand the whole "cracked apps," thing, but there has to be another way.
    They don't like there customers to have so much freedom on it, they like releasing little updates with cool add-ons, rather us have other people doing it with Cydia and themes and all that, they like to limited us, just wait and see what the hackers have to do on jailbreaking it
    Last edited by nighthawk283; 11-05-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

They should just install the PS3 OS...no one seems to want to crack this goddamn thing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Conquest3.0 For This Useful Post:

ifonemaniac (11-05-2009)

Thanks

I hope they get sued out their azz for trying to control what people do with what they purchased!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Conquest3.0 View Post
    They should just install the PS3 OS...no one seems to want to crack this goddamn thing.
    I know right the PS3 hasn't really gotten hacked,

Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    I hope they get sued out their azz for trying to control what people do with what they purchased!
    Man that is so true
    Last edited by nighthawk283; 11-05-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Their profits on the iPhone come greatly from app sales. This is the reason they want to close the door. As much as we hate the idea of losing JBing, which I doubt we ever will,I understand why Apple would want to do it. If you had a company and were making insane profits from product sales, and then someone figured out a way to crawl into your store through a tunnel and steal your products, you would close the tunnel and hire security personnel to ensure the tunnel stays closed.....

Furthermore, the developers of a majority of these apps are also complaining. Yes apple gets 30% of sales, but the other 70% belongs to some guy/girl trying to feed their family. This is why we have a strong stance against illegal/cracked apps here at ModMyi. Hopefully what Apple is working on is a way to close the door on cracked apps by some sort of encryption or signature, similar to the firmware signing and verification.
    Agreed. The point i was trying to make is that if they allowed more open development and customization, be it through the app store, then there wouldn't be a need to JB the device in the first place.

I've bought apps from Cydia and the app store. If the same Cydia apps were on the app store, i wouldn't need to JB. A simple feature of themes not allowed on the iPhone. What if Apple had allowed winterboard or a similar program on the app store, wouldn't that generate revenue for the developer as well as Apple? I understand Apple wanting to protect its interests, but atleast put out some quality/feature rich apps out. It could only boost sales in my opinion. Apple gets away with controlling the iPhone OS because they have a really good product on their hands. Other manufactures of smartphones would pay dearly if their products had the same features that the iPhone does. Thats my biggest gripe with Apple.
    Last edited by PaperCross; 11-05-2009 at 11:09 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Jailbreaking is the only thing that makes the iPhone a workable phone, I also understand Apple's stance on the piracy issue, I myself use jailbreaking as a way to enhance the features of the phone. I'd have to compare the iPhone to Apple's PCs back in the 80's and where they failed there, by trying to control there product so much, consumers wanted more options, variety. Apple controlled every aspect of development like with the iPhone, let other developers enhance the OS its so boring OTB, so limited. people will start looking for different options. In this case it will be android, that OS will be comparable in the near future. So as others are saying I to will be switching to an android phone if I can no longer jailbreak my iPhone, who knows if android can compare it may be worth it to switch just to avoid all the FW updates trying to combat all the JBs out there.

Thanks

poop. it was fun while it lasted. What we need is an inside man to take the position and leave a backdoor open. (That's not what she said)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

We pay for the phone. They got there money. I don't see why this would be an issue for them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Comwiz View Post
    poop. it was fun while it lasted. What we need is an inside man to take the position and leave a backdoor open. (That's not what she said)
    Its not over yet, man. Not with the Dev boys and Geo hot still hiding in the shadows. Our true masked (with a proxy) hero's that will always save a disgruntled iPhone user.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cocacolafire's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is the job application from Apple-
    (Apple - Jobs at Apple - Job description)

" Job title iPhone OS Platform Security Manager
    Location Santa Clara Valley
    Country United States
    City Cupertino
    State/Province California
    Job type Full Time
    Job description Job Description
    The Core OS group is looking for a talented and inspired manager to lead a team focused on the platform security of iPhone OS. The team is responsible for secure booting and installation of the OS, partitioning and hardening of security domains within the OS, cryptographic services, and risk analysis of security threats. The team is made up of a variety of security experts with backgrounds in system security and reverse engineering.

This position requires a very technical and hands-on leader, someone with a passion for understanding security exploits and coming up with innovative methods to create secure platforms. You must be a highly self-motivated individual who seeks to create a dynamic and creative team environment in which old problems are solved in new and innovative ways.

Job responsibilities include:
    • Leadership and management of a team of talented security engineers in a fast-paced and demanding software development environment
    • Setting the roadmap for the iPhone OS platform security with an emphasis on hardware support and trusted computing methods
    • Creating and promoting a development environment that encourages innovation and sets high standards for quality and productivity
    • Driving a methodology for proactively finding security vulnerabilities
    • Working cross-functionally with other software, hardware, marketing, and support teams to provide the best platform security solutions for Apple’s products

Required Skills and Experience
    • Minimum of 3 years experience managing a software development team
    • Direct experience with cryptographic or security related technologies
    * Expertise in system design as related to hardware and software security exploits
    • Direct experience with developing on and for the Unix operating system
    • Evidence of driving technical innovation
    • Strong communication skills
    • Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field

Desired Skills and Experience
    • Cross-platform project development experience is a big plus
    • Experience with Mac OS X and iPhone OS is a big plus. "

So it seems like Apple is hiring people to crack down on JBing...

But you know what? It is nearly impossible to stop hacking. Its just like a new computer, Sure, its new, Sure, hackers wont have it all so it will just take some time.

Time is the key factor into exploiting. It is the reason why we all want our devices JB'ed -We want to customize it.

Apple wishes to stop this and give you the basic of the most basic boring device.

Sure, piracy is illegal, but that doesnt mean that you have to take it all away?

But- There is hope, If we just dont upgrade our devices, or get a new device, it will all work out. Apple cannot force a new software on you. (Although it does trick you sometimes saying "Bugs" were fixed when it just slowed downed the device even more (3.1.2 firmware)

I have a simple iPod Touch 2G 3.1.1 Jailbroekn and im happy.

One day...In the somewhat near future....We could create our own firmware! Yea! We could like...change the device completely! We could make it anything we want! We could even make our own version of iTunes! (Takes medication)

That was crazy, but yes. It could someday be possible for all of us to create our own custom firmware ( Not the edited firmware that PwnageTool and other JBing software programs give you) I'm saying a totally new fashion to the devices....

I bet your to lazy to read everything I just said...Oh well.
    Last edited by Cocacolafire; 11-05-2009 at 11:32 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocacolafire For This Useful Post:

DaCodec (11-06-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    if jailbreaking is going to be blocked soon than i'm guessing apple is going to bring few of the things which can be done when your phone is jailbreaked... such as customization.
    let's hope something new is coming in the next firmware update.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple is such a pain in the a** w/ everything, we paid a lot of money for these phones, and I wanna do whatever I want with it because I own it.., I can understand if they have a problem with getting free apps.. but seriously, without jailbreaking u can't even have a friggen background picture on the springboard...and they should have been open to all carriers to begin with, instead of signing a contract with the worst cell phone company...If I can't jailbreak anymore, I will be getting a Droid..lol because let's face it, the Iphone is boring without jailbreaking it and they make more sales because you can jailbreak it, and most of the stuff we are doing is adding stuff that they should've had on the phone to begin with!!!
    If I was any help, please hit the thanks button...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crzyital7404 For This Useful Post:

razerburn (11-06-2009), The Digital Alchemist (11-06-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When will some ONE or some ENTITY ever gonna really challenge Apple in the legality of their tactics? I don't give a damn about what they think is legal or not, I bought the damn phone, I do whatever I frakin WANT with it! Simple. Where is this Electronic Frontier Foundation? This needs to be defined.

Thanks

I have never experienced a stock iphone. I came into iphone with 2.1 fw not that long ago unlocked and jailbroken. I could not imagine anybody walking around with a non jailbroken iphone?? I go to att I don't have to worry about all this and it is something major to worry about. Jailbreaking does slow the iphone down. I can see the handwriting on the wall can't u?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    As soon as iPhones can't be jailbroken, goodbye Apple, hello Android. Already have my fresh unlock from Geohot and a 3G in NIB condition ready to sell if it ever happens.
    haha genius. but i would never stop messing with apple. and theres always a way to break code and mess with it. jailbreaking will never end

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cocacolafire's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuty_kamu View Post
    if jailbreaking is going to be blocked soon than i'm guessing apple is going to bring few of the things which can be done when your phone is jailbreaked... such as customization.
    let's hope something new is coming in the next firmware update.
    That is not true. Jailbreaking will never be gone. It will always remain as long as one person on the face of this earth has one JBen device. With just one device the files can be read, and which a JBing software can be made.

Jailbreakers think ahead of time

As for Apple, they can just call up their lawyers and sue us all. Do you know how bad it would make them? Sueing a 13 year old for just wanting to customize his device. Ha. The media would be all over that. Good luck, Apple. You can just get back in the draw in my refrigerator, because your gonna be spoiled soon! (Plays dramatic music)

As for Apple trying to prevent JBing on their devices its near-imposslbe. Just as the new boot came for the iPhone, sooner or later a new hacking software will come.

And besides...If Apple wishes to "Protect" their device, how else would they do it if they "don't" have JB'ed devices?

Cough- http://media.bestofmicro.com/D/C/193...epatentjbc.jpg

Dun Dun Dun. Shame on you Apple and your hypocrites. You say it's "Illegal", when your own lawyers have been caught using them. Shame on you.

I call this IRONY

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

when I can't JB my iPhone anymore, I will simply move on to another phone, and apple can suck. I will never ever ever use any of their products and turn myself into an eternal apple-hater, if they do this.

I have influence at least on 10 people in my family who ask me for anything when purchasing computers, cell phones and so on, since they trust me to do the research. That's thousands of dollars apple is risking of losing because of one user like me.