+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T "Maps" Out Lawsuit Against Verizon

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Whats funny about this is i was just looking at the coverage viewer the other day after seeing that commercial by Verizon several times. And i had to check it
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Whats funny about this is i was just looking at the coverage viewer the other day after seeing that commercial by Verizon several times. And i had to check it out because i have great service from AT&T and 3G even. And the commercial and map are very misleading and untrue.

The following map was taken right from AT&T's website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT&T "Maps" Out Lawsuit Against Verizon-coverage_data.gif  

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    at&t is a bunch of fat kids that want there cake and eat it to. you get the iphone you force us pay for 3g service even if its 50 miles from the nearest 3g tower. then when someone calls you out on it you cry. got get a grip at&t.

lol that really is there 3g coverage map. sad i know.
    Try again man that is not there actual coverage map, once again here it is right from there website, get your facts right before you go and run your mouth!

BLUE IS DATA (LOOK IN ABOVE POST FOR PHOTO)

ORANGE IS VOICE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT&T "Maps" Out Lawsuit Against Verizon-coverage_voice.gif  

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

let them fight,better for us at the end ahahahahahaha.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

if you compare the Voice and data maps..they are pretty much identical,and the maps displayed on the Verizon commercial is way off base which is pretty much very misleading.

What gets me is,if Verizon is so good (#1 carrier in the US if I recall correctly),why are they even bothering to target AT&T and Iphone users with such ads in the first place? They already are #1 (tho I could be wrong but in a personal opinion,I would take Sprint over Verizon anyday. I came to ATT from Sprint as they had a pretty lackluster selection of phones at the time,and their service was excellent and pretty low priced as well compared to the Verizon plans)

Thanks

the first time i saw this commercial i knew it was a missleading elussive falsified scare tactic...

i used to be with Verizon and their cellular service was horrendous..i allways was in extended service and i never got 3g connections [EVER]. than i moved to a new place and i got zero service. even though on verizons map i was considered in a full 3G area. [SO MUCH for verizons redmarked map] they even had a technician sent out to check the service in that area [since i complained and since it was listed on their map as a full 3g networked area.] about a week later i got a call from the verizon tech i was working with and she confirmed/admitted that they were actually aware of that area having little to no service. and that they had zero plans of improving the situation

so i quit verizon went to AT&t and that was the first time i ever saw 3G popup on my phone. i quite honestly didnt know what to think....was this good? was i getting charged more for this? i really had to research what 3G was...[i know dumb right?] so not only did i get coverage in an area that verizon didnt...i got 3g service and i didnt loose coverage anywhere else either
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The reason Verizon is putting up this fight is because they can. Why not go after your biggest competitor? I mean who else are they going to go after, cricket? Us Cellular? No, they are going to go after AT&T. And if they can get customers from AT&T they know they can get them from the smaller providers.

Plus, both these ads have to be looked at separately. The coverage on is going after AT&T customers. The iDon't ad is going after smartphone customers. You don't have to get a Droid to enjoy "better" coverage.

Thanks

I have a feeling that commercial isn't legit. I can understand that they got bad blood. At&T network suck, they blame the iPhone of overloading it. Don't get mad at Apple because they wanna expanse their sale. If At&T wanna expanse their sell they should fix the network.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Try again man that is not there actual coverage map, once again here it is right from there website, get your facts right before you go and run your mouth!

ORANGE IS VOICE
    lol nice map of there edge network that map can't be 3g it has almost my whole state covered and yet i have to drive 50 miles to get 3g so hum one of us needs to get our facts straight and im thinking its not me.
    i went ahead and went to the at&t coverage map and properly checked off 3g coverage "to get my facts straight" and wow looks very similar to a map i seen on a commercial recently hum which could it be.
    hey at least you were right about there voice coverage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT&T "Maps" Out Lawsuit Against Verizon-att.jpg   AT&T "Maps" Out Lawsuit Against Verizon-attdata.jpg  
    Last edited by robbpell; 11-03-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to robbpell For This Useful Post:

Kamil18 (11-04-2009)

Thanks

Orange is "data" meaning Edge. Below the map is says "3G Available in select areas". There is a list of 3G cities. All Verison did was take that list and fill them in on a map to get the one they use in the commercial. Look at the list on AT&T's site. It's not that many, in their own words.
    The Buuf icon pack though page 350 can be found here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AMHNDKA7 or for those of you who asked for Rapidshare, here, http://rapidshare.com/files/34719307...Icons.zip.html

If my post helped you, don't forget to click Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post

ORANGE IS VOICE
    You try again. As he said, it really is their 3G coverage map. The one you are referencing in the post above yours is only the voice coverage map.

AT&T is pushing this completely frivolous lawsuit because people like you can't tell the difference when it is CLEARLY stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tower72 View Post
    What gets me is,if Verizon is so good (#1 carrier in the US if I recall correctly),why are they even bothering to target AT&T and Iphone users with such ads in the first place?
    Uhm, because they want to stay that way? I mean, did you really not think about that answer? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    I have a feeling that commercial isn't legit. I can understand that they got bad blood. At&T network suck, they blame the iPhone of overloading it. Don't get mad at Apple because they wanna expanse their sale. If At&T wanna expanse their sell they should fix the network.
    How is this commercial not legit? They clearly state they are talking about 3G coverage. AT&T's is very limited compared to Verizon's. There's nothing in the ad that isn't true. AT&T should spend some money improving their 3G map instead of trying to get competitors to stop pointing out how weak it is. What a pathetic lawsuit.
    Last edited by Blowfish64; 11-04-2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pcpro745 View Post
    saw that coming from the get go
    Same here .

I am also surprised they dont sue Verizon for the whole "There's a Map for that " statements , because it is to close to what Apple does with the iphone.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't understand why everyone gets so sue happy anyway. Let there be competition for crying out loud. As long as they don't say anything slanderous or illegal or incorrect, then what's the problem?

For those arguing back and forth over the AT&T coverage map, if you scroll in on the map, the colors change, and there is a coverage key for 3G, Edge, etc...And AT&T 3G does suck, and the Verizon commercial is pretty much 100% accurate.

I love my iPhone but have hated AT&T since day one. I am forced to pay for 3G even though the closest 3G area is 65 miles away, and I hardly ever use it, and they keep telling me it's coming (2 years they have said that now). I download gigabytes of crap off the net almost daily, yet I only pay $30 a month for unlimited 7 MB/s connection, but I have to pay $60 a month for mine and my wife's iPhones. Then add on another $30 for text messaging, which by the way runs off the cellular data, so it is pretty much 100% profit for them, as texting costs NOTHING. Then throw in another $70 for the cheapest plan, with pretty much no minutes, once again something that makes no sense, when I can use my land line and call anywhere in the US for as long as I want and only pay $30 a month for that too. AT&T is a rip off, the rest of the carriers aren't much better either, but it will never change because people (myself included) keep paying for it.

/end rant

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmmm looks about right to me... actually now that I think about it there should be a lot less blue in California.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I switched frome verizon to at&t when the iphone came out and I have to say
    verizon's service is waaayyyyy better my problem is that I like the iphone too much
    if apple went with verizon I would switch in a heartbeat.
    Its time to step it up At&t.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The problem is. It varies between states and areas. People who think Verizon is infaluable and AT&T is rubbish. You can think of it vice versa, and it'll come to the conclusion they both suck in some areas. Where I live I can attest that AT&T 3G is far better than Verizon hands down, but when I visit my grandmother AT&T can't hold a candle to Verizon gives in coverage in that area. Yes the Maps are misleading even in "3G" coverage. Verizon isn't that good. One thing people fail to mention is signal strength. Verizon shows all their 3G coverage as RED(1-4 bars), and only shows AT&T's(4 bars only) strong coverage and not what else pans out. If Verizon did the same with their map their map wouldn't look like that It would look like AT&T's.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Even though I like AT&T and have never had any problems with them, I REALLY want Verizon to either get the iPhone or a competing smartphone. People need to LEAVE AT&T and free up these towers. I can feel all the new iPhones being activated on AT&T's network because my speed is gradually decreasing.

Please do something about this AT&T!
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

danaconda (11-04-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

The "Map" advertisement displays two competing 3G coverage maps, in which the Verizon coverage area is clearly more widespread than AT&T's coverage area. The suit contains an AT&T commissioned survey of the ads which found that 53 percent of those asked interpreted the non-colored areas of the maps to be total gaps in coverage.

So ATT is saying that they commissioned a survey on how customers/people interpret their very own coverage map that they dispaly on their very own website.
    So if Verizon has the coverage backwards, perhaps ATT themselves are misleading current and future customers.

I know one thing, the dark blue map in my area is dead nutz on. And the true 3G coverage is not that overwhelming, better, but not overwhelming,

ATT has invested $20+ billion in improving their network. I wonder if **** Cheney help ATT negotiate the no bid contracts to improve the nework.
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 11-04-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

nice ad GO verizon (i am always for the underdog)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meglomaniac View Post
    nice ad GO verizon (i am always for the underdog)
    Then your rooting for the wrong player

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

verizons map is actually pretty damn close to att's 3G coverage, it's honestly pretty sad how the 3G coverage is so spotty(only in major cities)