Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Limits of Orange's "Unlimited" Data Plan

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The Limits of Orange's "Unlimited" Data Plan

Users began grumbling about the 750MB cap on Orange's so-called "unlimited" data plan as soon as it was announced. Close reading of the Terms and Conditions of Orange's service, however, reveals even more restrictions, which poses the question: how many limits can you put on a plan and still call it "unlimited?"

The word "unlimited" in Orange's rate plan listing is followed by an asterisk, which points to a notification that “Fair Usage policy of 750MB/month applies.” Somewhat misleading, but entirely legal in the United Kingdom, where a court ruled last January that a Blackberry data plan with a 250 MB cap could still be called "unlimited."

After the rate plan was made public, an alert customer pointed out the following clause in Orange's Terms and Conditions to the BBC's Rory Cellan-Jones:

Not to be used for other activities (eg using your handset as a modem, non-Orange internet based streaming services, voice or video over the internet, instant messaging, peer to peer file sharing, non-Orange internet based video). Should such use be detected notice may be given and Network protection controls applied to all services which Orange does not believe constitutes mobile browsing.
    Cellan-Jones noted that these restrictions could easily prohibit such common services as Spotify, AudioBoo, Ustream and even Facebook instant messaging. He noted that "users no longer see the iPhone and similar devices as phones but as small computers," which suggested a different model for usage plans.

In response to an inquiry from Cellan-Jones, an Orange spokesman said the cap would be “reviewed," and reports have indicated that a large volume of email had been received in protest. It was not immediately clear if the data restrictions might also be brought under review.

image via Orange
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 11-03-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: questions end in "?"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

sobeniceguy2 (11-04-2009)

meh.... o2 say the same bull, they cant stop me using over 1Gb a month so neither can orange

Like A Boss

That is one LOW cap....

Quote Originally Posted by metaljay View Post
    meh.... o2 say the same bull, they cant stop me using over 1Gb a month so neither can orange
    I'm on the Pay As You Go plan, with free 12 months WiFi & Internet, with unlimited download. I have no idea what the "fair usage policy" limit is, but a couple of months ago, I downloaded over 3.3GB over the air (in one month), for free. They didnt even charge me a penny!

Thanks

unlimited should mean unlimited
    if this happened in the us they would get sued lol

i gess we have 2 wait and c wat happens if some1 goes over

yeah, I totally agree with plcrules..
    unlimited has to be unlimited otherwise they should NOT use the word unlimited...
    these phone companies! man, lots of bs

loves it^ hahaha

Thanks

Few simple words wow

Thanks

It was also found that the price difference between the Orange iPhone contract and the O2 iPhone contract over 24 months is a total of 84p. lol...
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Crap!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

I guess some companies live by a different set of rules and guidelines.

Unlimited by definition
    1. not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
    2. boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
    3. without any qualification or exception; unconditional.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

lol : "Data : Unlimited*

*Until you reach the limit"

I remember reading that AT&T was grumbling about "bandwidth" hogs and plan to "throttle" certain users. I would not be surprised if AT&T adopts the limited unlimited plan!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    unlimited should mean unlimited
    if this happened in the us they would get sued lol
    Since when? It happens plenty here already (As pointed out to me by a Comcast representative when I hit 473 gb in a month, clearly surpassing their 250 gb cap. Thank you newsgroups).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Do they not have dictionaries in Great Brittan? Shame, because someone already came up with a definition for the word "unlimited".

frauds is what first comes to ur mind

Quote Originally Posted by jdys_1991 View Post
    I'm on the Pay As You Go plan, with free 12 months WiFi & Internet, with unlimited download. I have no idea what the "fair usage policy" limit is, but a couple of months ago, I downloaded over 3.3GB over the air (in one month), for free. They didnt even charge me a penny!
    Same mate, I was without broadband for a fortnight a few months ago and in that time I downloaded 2.5GB and never even had a phone call from O2.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

Shame the same can't be said for T-Mobile here in the UK. Their 'unlimited' limit is 1GB unless you pay an additional 6.99 to receive a extra 2GB bringing you to a total 3GB. How pathetic. But then my cousin (on T-Mobile) uses his PDANet enabled iPhone 3G as a modem for his PC and thus eliminates the need for broadband in his home.,
    This works for him as T-Mobs 3G & HSDPA network is quite good throughout the UK.

I believe tehering is the cause for these operator's stance on insisting on capped data usage. We are, simply put, able these days to get more than what we pay for through means of Jailbreaking our iPhones or otherwise modifying our other brands smartphone :-)

I got my 3G & 3GS from o2 on pay-as-you-go and find their 3G network and 'so called' free access to over 10,000 hotspots nationwide, a total and utter joke! I never use the 3G and always have it set to 2G for constant good cell coverage. So o2's unlimited plan bears no signicance to me even though I get free for a year. I only stick with o2 for their unlimited talk & text plan to any o2 numbers for a month, as it delivers on the meaning of unlimited. Take that away o2 and I'm outta here for good.
    What do they call successful thieves these days?.....ah that's tight....corporations & businesses alike.

Take what you can get I say, because these 'Thieves' are taking us for every penny/cent they can get & they are doing under the protection of the law!
    3G vs 3G'S' is like comparing a standard BMW to an 'M-Tech' version of the same car. They pretty much look identical, but it's whole 'nother beast beneath the shell.
    The 'S' is for 'Sheer' Power.