+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes 9.0.2 Shoots Down Another Palm Pre Invasion

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple has officially updated iTunes to version 9.0.2 and once again killed sync capabilities with the Palm Pre. Although iTunes will be able to communicate with the new Apple TV
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iTunes 9.0.2 Shoots Down Another Palm Pre Invasion

Apple has officially updated iTunes to version 9.0.2 and once again killed sync capabilities with the Palm Pre.

Although iTunes will be able to communicate with the new Apple TV 3.0 software update for either Windows or Mac users, Apple appears more committed than ever to fending off attempts from the Palm Pre to encroach on iTunes territory.

According to Apple Insider:

Continuing the back-and-forth battle between Palm and Apple, the latest update also reportedly disables the ability of the Pre to sync with iTunes, according to Precentral.net. With the latest update, iTunes will allegedly launch when a Pre is connected to a computer via USB, but the handset does not show up as a device in the sidebar.
    If it isn't clear by now, this tech tug of war isn't going going to end without definitive legal action determining what both companies can do and how they can interact with one another. Otherwise, we're bound to see the continuing game of Palm updating its phones to confuse iTunes into syncing music, only to be followed by another update from Apple to prevent Palm's latest update from working.

Its like dancing the tango to music that never ends.

Palm believes that Apple's prevention of non-sanctioned devices from communicating with its iTunes media software is unfair, and it appealed to the USB Implementers Forum in an effort to have the iPhone maker's practices reversed. But the USB-IF instead sided with Apple in September, noting that iTunes' method of identifying Apple devices was within the consortium's rules.
    Notwithstanding the harsh words and intimations of the USB-IF, Palm has not changed course from its penchant for going rogue. And even though this is the third time (correct me if I'm wrong) that Apple has once again been forced to erect a barrier to Pre's ability to sync with iTunes, it will probably be only a matter of time before Palm responds with another update of its own.

Can't we all just get along?

Image via my Pre

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not a big fan of the pre... Im suprised apple didnt sue Palm already for "hacking" into itunes to support it lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

hacking?

Green Apple
    Thanks

i meant hacking as a joke. As in apple takes it to the extreme like in the jail breaking is illegal case.

Green Apple
    Thanks

anyone know if we are safe to update if we have a jailbroken iphone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I thought they already had started a lawsuit against Palm as well as the USB-IF for tricking computers into thinking the Pre is an Apple device.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does anyone even bother to update iTunes anymore anyway? I mean, yeah AppleTV whoopdeedoo, but Apple hasn't released a really useful update in a long time. They're all about getting people to restrict themselves by "upgrading" to the latest locked down software.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

My Wife has the Palm Pre and I told her to not update her iTunes until
    I let her know, I saw the Update last night and I knew this may happen. And cause of me, Now she can still buy and add all her music to her Pre. HAHAHAH.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SVD85 View Post
    anyone know if we are safe to update if we have a jailbroken iphone?
    Yes, It is safe to upgrade.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

fan311 (10-30-2009), iN2K (10-30-2009), rusty84084 (11-03-2009), xxdobermanxx (10-31-2009)

Thanks

What is Apple waiting for? Here they have a company they can go after and they just sit there and take it. Are they just trying to build overwhelming legal proof of what Palm is doing before making their case?

Personally I'd love to see Palm have their USB ID revoked and then they can die and go away. If having iTunes interoperability is so important to product sales, then they must have a pretty lousy product to begin with if this is what they feel they need to constantly work around to stay relevant.

Thanks

That phone sould get there own program to snyc, its not call the ipalm pre or some crap like that, they are low, and should get there own. and if apple wants to put it for other phone and media player they would, but as of right now they don't so they should just stop doing this

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

this was the main reason i dumped my Pre for a new 3G S. Palm promised this functionallity and now it can't deliver. Screw Palm and there stupid ***** backwards methods. I now hate Palm for screwing with their customers like this. For Mac users like me, it was very important.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    What is Apple waiting for? Here they have a company they can go after and they just sit there and take it. Are they just trying to build overwhelming legal proof of what Palm is doing before making their case?

Personally I'd love to see Palm have their USB ID revoked and then they can die and go away. If having iTunes interoperability is so important to product sales, then they must have a pretty lousy product to begin with if this is what they feel they need to constantly work around to stay relevant.
    Actually, I disagree. Palm Pre isn't "crap". The most popular music player out today is the iPod. So in order to use an iPod you need iTunes which means iTunes is the most popular medium for getting/managing music. Because of this popularity.. Palm knows that their phone will be more appealing to consumers by making it sync with iTunes.. something that many people are accustomed to using. Palm is already making their software for their device, but is also trying to allow their device to work on iTunes because that's what a lot of people uses.

Apple just doesn't like to share and play nice. Apple is the leader in portable music and they want people to ONLY use their products.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish64 View Post
    Does anyone even bother to update iTunes anymore anyway? I mean, yeah AppleTV whoopdeedoo, but Apple hasn't released a really useful update in a long time. They're all about getting people to restrict themselves by "upgrading" to the latest locked down software.
    That's what I was thinking. If someone has a Pre with a version of iTunes that allows sync-ing, why would they even update iTunes?

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

Thanks

i kind of like how the pre looks lately. not that its changed. good for them being the new bad boys on the block. at least they havnt tried to make their phone look like the iphone or come up with ads very alike to apples or bashing apple. they just want in like we do.
    killall Terminal[]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoNova View Post
    That's what I was thinking. If someone has a Pre with a version of iTunes that allows sync-ing, why would they even update iTunes?

Matt
    I would err on the side of saying that they upgrade because every single Apple app that I've ever seen automagically defaults to "omg gief updates nao!" mode, or installs some other ********.

I loathe itunes with a fiery burning passion deep within my soul. I hope that what God there is has saved a special place in hell for Steve Jobs and his "We want people who use Apple to be unique, but there is a big **** You to the people who want anything 'their way.'"

While I can agree that things like the ipt and iphone are great tools, Apple has consistently gone down the path of not allowing people to fully utilize them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TooSlo For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (10-31-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's certainly Apple's right to be the spoiled brat of the computer/cellphone world but when Apple finds itself all alone while the rest of the industry passes around new knowledge and know-how, I don't want to hear a damn word about "poor Apple" and the unbelievable genius that is Steve Jobs. It's kind of funny how Apple has been reduced to pulling the crap it accused Microsoft of doing 20 years ago. Even funnier that if you want to "think outside the box" and work on an open system, you work with Microsoft products. I like my Macs and I like my iPhone but as they die or grow old, they won't be replaced by more Apple products and garbage like this is the reason why.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mgamber For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (10-31-2009)

Thanks

Y can apple let Palm Pre sync with iTunes? You can't get an iPhone with Sprint anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You know, It is good marketing for Palm to use iTunes. Palm can make lots of money by being with iTunes, and save expenses on developing custom software for their product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Y can apple let Palm Pre sync with iTunes? You can't get an iPhone with Sprint anyway.
    ..what?

This has nothing to do with carriers. If people are deciding between an iPhone and a Pre, odds are their contract is up anyway. This is the Apple monopoly game. Elbow their way onto your computer by only allowing iPods to sync with iTunes and nothing else. Elbowing their way into getting you to install QuickTime because iTunes now requires it. Elbowing other people out of what is now your main music player even though it sucks ***.

iPhone and the IPT is the only Apple product I'll ever buy, and the moment there's a feasible replacement for iTunes for either, I'm out.